RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

retouch no blur or healing brush

Old 12-09-2008, 01:14 PM

Re: retouch no blur or healing brush

Hello Milena,

You've received some excellent advice! D&B is the best method for 'perfect skin'. Other "smoothing" methods create perfectly fake skin. It all depends on the results that you'd like to achieve and the time that you'd like to spend on an image.

Poor results with D&B may only be achieved by someone that has no artistic talent.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 02:04 PM

Newbie Re: retouch no blur or healing brush

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
Actually you'll find that I offered a solution: Make a sticky post at the top of the forum "PERFECT SKIN: NO BLUR" so that we don't get the same question over and over.

But thanks for being snoody!
I WAS being sarcastic, and its snooty not snoody. Reading from a lot of very knowledgeable people, many, have different ways of attacking the same problem. What I am finding is, experienced photographers who begin doing serious retouching, change their own methods after their experience in the new arena grows. I am a completely different photographer than I was three years ago. I am sure this is the same for beginning retouchers. If you have been doing it for years, chances are you stick to your tried and true methods. I am trying to shorten my learning curve by seeking articles in periodicals, dvd tutorials, advice from those with more experience or whatever means available. So if you have knowledge of anything send me a message, let me know. I figure the more I practice the better I will get.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 03:07 PM

I think the spirit of this thread is more than D&B is the end all best way to do things. I believe that D&B is a very amazing technique and I too am trying to master it. But there are other ways to do things, some that may be better or quicker.

This is not the best example picture, but I did the below without the use of D&B, clone heal or other. I only used a +25 brightness and My "KA - blemish / tone fix shadow correction" action. All non destructive...Took about 10 min.

I just paint the effect in. There is no loss of texture that I can see. I believe that this technique is a great starting point, then finish things off with D&B. Hence, the last picture has a bit of D&B.

I also have to agree with OlBaldy, starting with good makeup and skin is a lot easier and better.

Another point,
-Keven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ED-KSA_3708-crop-KA-Original.jpg (98.1 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg ED-KSA_3708-crop--KA-Blemish-removal.jpg (98.5 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg ED-KSA_3708-crop--KA-Blemish-removal-screen-shot.jpg (90.8 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg ED-KSA_3708-crop--KA---+D&B.jpg (98.8 KB, 167 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileeeeeeenaaaa View Post
so essentially, good skin on photoshop doesnt exist?
it needs to be great in the first place.
Not true at all... with Photoshop you can put lipstick on a pig and make it look good.

Let me try to make an analogy or comparison to something you stated you have a passion for... "Architectural Photography"...
A building won't move. So, you could use a high ISO setting and any handheld camera to take a picture of a building, the obvious thing to do is point the camera toward the center of the structure and snap away. However, this results in projecting the vertical exterior of the building onto the angled film surface. The lines of the building will converge toward the top of the frame. (which could be fixed in Post in Photoshop) A Professional Architectural Photographer will always have some means of controlling perspective on site.
A professional would use a view camera which would allow the camera to stay level with the ground then either shift the lens up or the film down. The film is now looking up at the building through the lens, but the film is still parallel to the building exterior so lines don't converge. Or, if they are traveling light they would use a "Shift Lens" which allows some control of the center line without changing the angle of the camera and messing up the perspective.
A professional would use the camera's lowest ISO (e.g., 32 - 100) for lowest digital/grain noise. They need a large depth of field so the viewer can look at any part of the structure and find it in sharp focus, which calls for a small aperture. A small aperture plus slow film speed implies a long shutter speed, too long for steady hand holding. Consequently, any serious architectural photographer will also carry a substantial tripod.
These professional tools and their use are what separate them from the average shooter... much like using D&B in Retouching separates the pros from average guys like me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot2pman View Post
This is not the best example picture, but I did the below without the use of D&B, clone heal or other. I only used a +25 brightness and My "KA - blemish / tone fix shadow correction" action. All non destructive...Took about 10 min.

-Keven
Any chance you could post a "better" example?

I only ask because I am curious about the texture retention with this action. I realize you said there is no loss, but the example is soft and textureless to begin with... So I was hoping you could share an example that illustrates your claim.

TIA!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 12:17 AM

Sure Kayem,

It was hard to find a good image to work on, most of my images are far away and most large flickr images are blurry or already edited... the best I could find was one of my friend’s freckles... so I removed them. I started doing it by hand, but that was taking too long, so I select>> color range the freckle color and made a mask; then did some touchups by hand.

The only other editing was some sharpening before I did the action. Most of the freckles had little texture, but if you look at the left, I decreased the shadow without touching the detail. As for the "clame"... take it for for what it is... this isnt the best fix for everything, its just another way to take it. It may be better at certain things then others.

If this isn’t good enough, if you could post something or a crop and I will try my best.

-Keven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0554_1-original.jpg (97.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0554_1-Sharpened.jpg (95.6 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0554_1-Fixed.jpg (92.8 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 12-10-2008 at 01:29 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Patron

For fair size samples to work with try lipstickfetish.org (where this picture came from) There are a lot of pictures there that you can work on..

Just did face.. maybe 45 min... (I'm Old N Slow!)

Patched the forehead and nose to get rid of the shine using skin from other areas.. then ran Kent Chrisiansen's "Skin Fix" a set of actions for smoothing skin. ..... Maurice Hamilton, Russell Brown and KentC methods rolled into one action found <here> Used "Paint Soft Skin" at default settings

Then regular clean up and enhancements..
No D&B Which is obvious to the concerning viewer.

I will let someone else provide a D&B sample because I suck at it and it is a long process for me (like days and days! And I always find something else that needs work so I never finish!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original.jpg (195.0 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg No_DB_copy.jpg (199.3 KB, 260 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileeeeeeenaaaa View Post
from what i have heard of it, the results are extremely poor...
Why go by hearsay? Try it for yourself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 02:37 AM

That is one ugly hot spot in the original... Its almost like photo nightmare...

Good job fixing that up OlBaldy. but anyway, thanks for the link, i'll check it out.

EDIT-

So I found one model with one or so blemish... So here it is... Its a 100% crop and only sharpened it B4 cleaning it.

-Keven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 79352_fashion_5591_122_763lo.jpg (96.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 79352_fashion_5591_122_763lo-KA.jpg (94.7 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 12-10-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2008, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot2pman View Post
As for the "clame"... take it for for what it is... this isnt the best fix for everything, its just another way to take it. -Keven
I sense that you may have taken my post as me calling you out. If that is the case I apologize. I am a visual person (as I'm sure most of the members here are) and I was just looking for an example with more detail... definitely wasn't trying to challenge you.

I appreciate the second example and agree that the detail retention is pretty good

Thanks for sharing!
Kayem
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching