RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

retouch no blur or healing brush

Old 12-17-2008, 02:38 AM

Re: retouch no blur or healing brush

It's a bit tough to show the method short of a video tutorial (which I believe is floating around here somewhere) but I can describe the steps:

1. Zoom in far enough to be able to see the pores in detail. (I usually don't go above 100%, as I work on fairly hi-res pictures and if I zoom in past that I tend to lose the forest for the trees so to speak)

2. You'll see that a pore is essentially made up of a dark side and a light side. This is from the light hitting one side (the light side) and casting a shadow on the other side (the dark side)

3. On your dodge and burn layer (50% gray soft light or dual curves method, either one works. I tend to use the soft light layer, so that's what I'll describe here) with a very small very low opacity brush, paint black on the light spots to darken them until they match the surrounding skin. Paint white on the dark spots until they match the surrounding skin. Repeat this for all the pores. (This takes forever at first, but tends to go faster after practice.)

4. Sometimes, dodging and burning can introduce color shifts. One solution for this is to use a curves layer to match that color to the surrounding skin color, invert the mask and paint back in with white where needed.

5. At this point, you should have pretty smooth skin if done correctly.

Like I mentioned before, for large blemishes, there's nothing wrong with using the clone stamp before you do any dodging and burning. If done carefully, you can get great results and save yourself a lot of work down the line. Let me know if anything needs clarification.

P.S.

Chris Tarantino has some excellent information about D&B on his blog. The entry can be found here:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/blo...confusion.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2008, 06:00 AM

A good trick is to add a strong contrast curve layer above the D&B layer(s) to make the luminance difference stand out more. This works well with even luminance though, dark shadows and bright highlights will blow out and be harder to spot, but for the rest of the skin it works very well.

This curve layer is then obviously thrown away/turned off once you are done with the D&B.

As for colorshifts either use a curve layer like mentioned, or use a color layer and paint with the surrounding skin color. Trick here is to paint very softly with low opacity since the color shift may be stronger since you have already changed the luminosity with the d&b
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2008, 12:38 AM

Do I need to wait until I purchase a tablet to start learning D&B or can I start with my lowly mouse?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2008, 03:05 AM

@Eric J
why don't you practice D&B with bigger stuff instead of skin? Clothing wrinkles is something basic you can try. The general process is the same, and since most clothing wrinkles are bigger you don't need to work as much. It will help you to get into the technique and start looking at stuff more objectively.

@Milena the D&B technique is not hard its a technique that takes allot of time.
Have you checked the "de-grunge" technique http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213
You can try to mix techniques to get results like the links you posted earlier, try working with it and then post your results, most here would be glad to give you pointers as what to do. As with any skill you need to practice in order to get better at it.

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2008, 05:47 AM

Eric J,

I’m still learning D&B and have been getting much better over the past months. I use a mouse, a Logitech G5 to be exact. What I found was that slowing your mouse speed will give you a lot more control. This is one of the pluses of the G5; it has speed buttons on the mouse to raise and lower speed. That’s not to say go out and buy one, the mouse costs half a small tablet. But the point is that D&B is not better with a tablet, it just has more control. All the steps and techniques are the same.

I agree with Cuervo79, start with the cloths. Then work your way up to filling in shadows. Learn about light fall off and how to make 2D look 3D, bright center and shadowed outer.

Below is where I am at right now; I would say its intermediate level. It's slow coming but practice makes perfect, the more you try the better you will become. The little marks were done by blowing it up to 1000%.

-Keven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D&B-ex.jpg (4.2 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 12-18-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileeeeeeenaaaa View Post
i havent seen much dodge and burn but from what i have heard and seen, i dont like it very much. it might just be because the person doing it didnt take enough time to do it properly or whatever, but i really didnt like it.

and no, i am not looking for an easy 2 minute quick fix, all i am wanting to achieve is the 'magazine make up ad' look (which from what i am reading is begining to look very difficult)

can anyone show me how the 'pore by pore' method is done?
mileeeeeeeenaaaa.
this one of the examples of D&D on the skin. Of course it's not ideal and if you look long enough on the retouched skin you will always find something to correct. But it worth practising. Just try it and you would not be able to switch to anything else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skin.jpg (94.5 KB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
@Eric J
why don't you practice D&B with bigger stuff instead of skin? Clothing wrinkles is something basic you can try. The general process is the same, and since most clothing wrinkles are bigger you don't need to work as much. It will help you to get into the technique and start looking at stuff more objectively.

@Milena the D&B technique is not hard its a technique that takes allot of time.
Have you checked the "de-grunge" technique http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213
You can try to mix techniques to get results like the links you posted earlier, try working with it and then post your results, most here would be glad to give you pointers as what to do. As with any skill you need to practice in order to get better at it.

Cheers
Thank you. I hadn't thought of that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 PM

how to overcome these problems:
- when burning highlights, it gets saturated
- when dodging and burning freckles the area goes grey
- how to remove tiny white hairs from face?

anyone know how?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2008, 11:54 PM

hubba has an excellent tutorial here:

http://imaginara.tumblr.com/post/559...l-about-how-to

quite lenghty but in my opinion the best tutorial on dodge and burn out there

I am newby and I found it very straight forward and understanding.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2008, 02:17 AM

Hi mileeeeeeenaaaa:

You can find answers for your questións in this threads:

- First one: Chris Tarantino has an article in his blog explaining D&B técnique and how to fix some problems that this tecnique can generate. Very interesting and you only have to spend few minutes. You can find this blog in RetouchPro home page, blogs, Chris Tarantino.

- The second:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...cast-face.html

In this thread, post 3, Leuallen posted a video explaining how to correct oversaturated areas and correct variations in color. IMO, very interesting.

Anyway, yo can find many diferent ways to fix desaturated areas and color shifts in this forum.

Hope it helps.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching