RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

retouch no blur or healing brush

Old 12-19-2008, 07:09 AM

Re: retouch no blur or healing brush

50%grey vs not?

First of all, hello I am new here :-)

Has 50% grey an advantage over just a clear layer to D&B on? Often, its nice to use the eraser tool on different opacities if I've gone too far. On the 50%grey this makes a hole trough the grey. I know I could probably paint with 50%grey, but its just so damn cool to flip the pen and use the eraser side of it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.james View Post
50%grey vs not?

First of all, hello I am new here :-)

Has 50% grey an advantage over just a clear layer to D&B on? Often, its nice to use the eraser tool on different opacities if I've gone too far. On the 50%grey this makes a hole trough the grey. I know I could probably paint with 50%grey, but its just so damn cool to flip the pen and use the eraser side of it.
better painting with 50%grey, is like you are coming back to the start point.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2008, 01:13 PM

I don't use the 50% gray specifically because of that, I use two solid color layers one black and one white both set to soft light. If you set your background and foreground colors correctly you can erase on the mask of the solid color layers or just paint it with the opposite color to diminish the effect of the mask.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot2pman View Post
Eric J,

I’m still learning D&B and have been getting much better over the past months. I use a mouse, a Logitech G5 to be exact. What I found was that slowing your mouse speed will give you a lot more control. This is one of the pluses of the G5; it has speed buttons on the mouse to raise and lower speed. That’s not to say go out and buy one, the mouse costs half a small tablet. But the point is that D&B is not better with a tablet, it just has more control. All the steps and techniques are the same.

I agree with Cuervo79, start with the cloths. Then work your way up to filling in shadows. Learn about light fall off and how to make 2D look 3D, bright center and shadowed outer.

Below is where I am at right now; I would say its intermediate level. It's slow coming but practice makes perfect, the more you try the better you will become. The little marks were done by blowing it up to 1000%.

-Keven
I'll change the speed of the mouse in Windows. I think my cheap mouse will do until I can afford a tablet. Thanks for the tips. I have a lot to learn.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2008, 05:01 PM

DnB with dual curves usually gets good results, clone tool set to low opacity and lighten mode also good for small blemishes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 02:29 PM

Here is a recipe someone gave me and I've used it regularly for about a year and get really good results with it. Hope someone else can use it.

1. make a blank layer above the background document. Select the healing brush and make sure that the "sample all layers" box is checked. On the blank layer start doing your spot healing of blemishes. Take your samples from a clear area of skin with similar tone. Make sure the brush is maximum soft (ie 0% hardness)

2. when you're done that, create another new layer above that. With that layer active press ctrl/alt/shift+E . This will merge the background and blemish layers together onto the new layer (note this keeps your original intact). This will be your new working layer.

3. In your approach you then add a new layer and blur it. The problem with that is that you introduce dark tones into the overall blur that can bleed into the skin that. Do this instead: go to menu item:Select/ Color Range/ Sampled Colors. set the "add to sample" option and with a low fuzziness setting (around 25) begin selecting the model's skin area. Play around with sampling and different fuzziness settings until you have the skin almost all selected and none of the dark areas around the skin. Choose OK and now you will have a pretty thorough selection of the skin tones.

4. copy this to its own layer (ctrl-J)

5. Apply Median Noise to this layer only. You have to choose the amount to use. Adjust it up until skin detail just disappears and then a bit more. At this point the picture will look hideous.

Monochromatic noise can be added by selecting your skin layer, go up to filters and choose noise, there is a check box for monochromatic, set a low number (should look a little like faint pores) and then apply/ok. If it is too much then you can go under Edit (if I remember right) and choose Fade to fade the last filtered effect.

6. Now ... add a layer mask while pressing the Alt key ... this will add a Black layer mask and everything will then return to "normal"

7. Here's the part when you retouch the skin: Using a soft-edged paintbrush and white paint selected, choose an opacity of 20% or less and a brush size that's workable, start painting white on the layer mask just in the areas of the skin gradually reducing it's opacity until the skin is the way you like it.

That's it.

If you're going really heavy on the glamour, you'll want to add some monochromatic noise into the blurred areas to add skin "pores" back into the picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2009, 01:29 AM

the example in the link seems quite blurred. I think it was edited using the very fast technique!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching