RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Fixing Blown Out skin?

Old 12-09-2008, 12:25 PM

Fixing Blown Out skin?

Hello,

Is there a way to fix blown out skin? I have a nice 3/4 length fashion shot that i'd like to save if possible, where the skin is blown out on the forehead and cheek. I already tried it in the raw conversion with ACR...no luck, no info there. What I want to know is there a workable technique to replace those areas with good skin from someplace else? How would I go about doing that? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 02:22 PM

Re: Fixing Blown Out skin?

Grab tone and texture from other (not blown out) areas. Make sure the texture is similar in grain (like wood grain, not film grain) and pore size. Copy to a new layer, play with the mask for blending to real surrounding tone, and the transparency as well - this is key to keeping the highlight that would naturally be there. That usually works for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 03:55 PM

Thomearl,
give the patch tool a go, (if you have CS3.) While very elementary in design, the patchtool will replace an area's texture, while blending in the values around the edge of the patch. Sometimes to get a good result, you must patch the edges of the patch, but a majority of the time, it's a good starting point.

Select the patch tool, trace the blown out area, click inside of the selection, and drag it to an area that has the texture (in this case, pores) which you would like to use in your blown out area.

P.S. ALWAYS use the patch tool an a duplicated layer of the original, just as a safety net.

RyRy
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 07:04 PM

If you have a picture of similar position (or any skin):
Copy the texture to new layer>>> highpass @ 1-5 pixels, overlay (blending mode)

Might want to color in the bad parts also in another layer.

-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 07:35 PM

igot2pman has a bit of a different approach, and some good insight here. Running the high pass on the donor photo gives you the ability to gauge how much texture you want.
I typically like to use lighten or soft light as a blending layer, so it doesn't lighten the highlights. But with a blown out section, you shouldn't have much of a problem with that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone. Got the first two, but i'm not understanding igot2pman's method. I copied some good skin to another layer, then used the high pass filter on it and changed mode to overlay. Then what do I do? I moved the highpass/overlay skin patch to the spot over the burned out area, but it didn't do anything.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 09:13 PM

I have laid out the pictures below as an example. I sampled the texture from the forehead above, and then pasted it below 3 times, to cover the whole area. Then erased the partes that needed less or no shapening. Set the texture layer to vivid light to show more highlights @90% opacity. Sampled color from light and dark parts of the skin set layer to Linear burn as its over exposed.

Blending modes: overlay, soft light, hard light, vivid light, lighten, pin light. Each has their positives and negatives, so experiment with your picture to find the best one. Adjust the opacity to lessen the effect. You can also duplicate the texture layer to boost the effect.

Another example HERE.

-Keven

PS: read the file name for a description of the step
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KSA_3743-original.jpg (94.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg KSA_3743-overexposed.jpg (84.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg KSA_3743-color.jpg (86.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg KSA_3743-texture-added.jpg (97.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg KSA_3743-texture-added-screenshoot.jpg (42.7 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 12-09-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 PM

Here is the same example without the color added. As you can see, the texture is hard to see, if not washed out. This is probably why you cannot see the texture added.

-Keven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KSA_3743-texture-added-with-out-color-added.jpg (86.0 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching