RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

colour cast on face

Old 12-09-2008, 08:49 PM

colour cast on face

Hi guys, could you help me on this one?

I've got a shot of a model (can't show the image due to lack of permission) that I took where the model is turned 3/4 on to the camera.

The side of the face that furthest away is slightly darker so I have dodged it a little to lessen the modelling. But, when doing this I notice that that side of the face is a slightly different colour (due to a bit of a colour reflection from the blue background).

Could anyone give me a few pointers on how to match this area of the face up with the "good side"?

Note that I'm only interemediate level so go easy on me.

Cheers.

Ricardo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 10:37 PM

Re: colour cast on face

Posting a crop or the actual picture would help solve your problem better. First, you can apply the color sampler tool to a good part and the bad area. This will give you a nubered representation of how off you are and when you close.

Option 1:
Desatuarte the shadowed area if its still dark to just remove the cast. (Hue sat reduction- masked).

Option 2:
Hue sat - masked, adust the master slider till you get close, then adjust the specific colors till perfect.You can also sample the area with the dropper and adjust the colors till right.

Option 3:<dificult>
Selective color - masked, adjust till perfect.

Color balance, levels, curves, and chanel mixer are other options. It all depends on the picture, some are simple, others are combo's of the color manipulators. Just make sure you mask out only the parts you want to adjust (white for show, black for hide).

-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 12:47 AM

I fix the color of my D/B color shifts as I go along and notice the shift. I made a movie that shows how the Configurator panel (new free program for CS4) works in the retouching environment. It covers the color correction at some length.

You can ignore the panel part because the same principles can be achieved without it although more slowly. I use two curves layers - one to lighten and the other to darken, but any of the D/B methods (50% gray overlay) work with the two color layers above them.

The only method I have of distributing the movie (mov QuickTime format) is through MediaFire (seems to be pretty much no BS unlike some others), a free hosting service. The movie is about 11Mb and 23 min long. If you can put up with the hassel of downloading it and my scratchy voice, it should give you some quidance. The URL for the download is:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4ynnnhjnw2z

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 02:31 AM

Leuallen,

Thanks for shairing about the configurator... very usefull tool... going to make my own later..

Just in case anyone is looking for it: The aplication can be found HERE. And the video on how to make panels is HERE

Thanks alot,
-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 12:10 PM

You can do a lot with Selective Color and masking for funky colors in the dark areas. It's hard to d/b your way out, depending which method of d/b you are using, especially if you are pressed for time.

However, it all depends on where the final product is going and at what size. For wedding prints, I'm usually fixing things for a 5x7 or 8x10 and a little d/b with a touch of Selective Color usually gets it looking pretty.

I'm sure there are dozens of ways to fix every problem that arises in Photoshop; however, some take longer than others, or just more practice. So really its all about how much time you have and how much of your free time you will spend learning other ways.

What I'm doing right now (reading this forum) is my idea of a break.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 02:57 PM

Leuallen

Thanks for sharing it.

Great trick to fix color and saturation shifts, and grate panel utility.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 07:20 PM

Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2008, 11:05 PM

Thanks guys. That gives me something to work on.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching