Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Realistic Aged Photo Effect?

Old 12-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Re: Realistic Aged Photo Effect?

Here is my opinion, for what it's worth...

The overall effect creates a somewhat simplified aged effect, at least to most seasoned restoration folks. With that in mind, maybe the target audience should be beginners. With that in mind, maybe the software used should be Elements, not PS CSx.

Also, it may benefit from another level of aging effects, i.e. slight cracks, a little vignetting, etc.

Anyway, food for thought. Best of luck with it !
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2008, 06:55 AM

Vignetting is easy enough to apply. I'll look for some brushes with cracks and damage textures.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2008, 08:12 PM

Mitch...I am a fan of any tutorial you offer. But this one IMHO needs some work.

The text needs a more hand written look and the grain looks very digital. And I don't know what would be a better tint but for some reason it's just not quite right yet.

Overall I'm just not feeling the aged effect your going for.

And on a side note, ewww this just feels so wrong posting this. How could I in my right mind even consider the tone I have just taken with you! I'm an admirer of your work and willingness to share it so freely!

Hope the sinus get's better, and may the photoshop gods not strike me down.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2008, 07:41 PM

Why should you feel bad? You're expressing a candid opinion. It's what I asked for.

(I am not remotely offended by your comments or any of the other comments on this thread.)

This is the only forum where the feedback has not been positive overall. That's OK. In part, I suspect what's going on is that people are judging small versions of the photos. You do not really see a good representation of the grain, the yellowing, etc. I should add a full-size version of the photo as a download. The column is limited to around 450 pixels, which is why it uses smaller images. Had I done this as a .PDF tutorial, I would have included larger photos (and saved the server and the memory cache a lot of work serving up over a dozen photos).

I have downloaded a bumch of brushes for adding things like coffee cup stains, scotch tape marks, etc. The video will demonstrate how you can add them.

If you prefer a different tone, that's OK, too. Since the tutorial uses adjustment layers, that's all adjustable.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm considering everything I'm hearing.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching