Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Removing/reducing wrinkles on clothing

Old 12-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Removing/reducing wrinkles on clothing

I have several images where I am trying to remove (or reduce the appearance of) wrinkles in clothing. Cloning or healing doesn't work well because the fabric has a raised texture (ribbed). The lines curve around each wrinkle. I know I can minimize the appearance of the highlights and shadows with d&b to soften them and that works fine, but does anyone have a trick I'm overlooking that would make this job any quicker/easier?

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2008, 01:11 AM
Re: Removing/reducing wrinkles on clothing

I have the same problem you do, the freaking texture is the enemy at the end, with D&B is the way I made them disappear, but the texture stayed and I had no idea as to what to do, I still have no idea, I would think that after using D&B you could later use the clone tool to redraw the textures to your liking. But that still takes time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2008, 04:12 AM

Please post images as an example and i may be able to help you out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2008, 11:32 AM

I usually use a two-fold approach. To remove folds, especially where there is a pattern, try to find another part of the fabric that's decently flat and use that as the source for the Heal brush. If you center the brush when you select your source on a landmark, like a corner of the pattern, you can start the heal in the same position over the fold to match the pattern up. You can also use cloning as well.

Secondly, if the pattern is not too distorted, you should use Dodge & Burn on a soft light layer just like you'd treat skin blemishes, etc. Bring shadows up, highlights down and you'll even it right out.

Lasty, when you have the top two steps complete but the pattern might not be as regular as you like, make a new flattened layer of the entire image that you can use the Liquefy tool on to even it out.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching