RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Some D&B issues

Old 12-30-2008, 06:27 AM

Some D&B issues

1. Is 50%grey layer better for D&B than just an transparent layer? The reason I would like to use transp layer is so that I can use the eraser to go back if I have gone too far. Much faster than to paint back with 50%grey.

2. Burning: As I use a layer, 50%grey set to soft light blend mode and paint with black brush tool set to soft light mode also, the highlights simply doesn't come down as smoothly as the shadows are brought up with a white brush. Also, often my burning leaves ugly marks where highlights meet shadows.

anyone have thoughts on this or experience the same?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2008, 10:07 AM

Re: Some D&B issues

try using solid color layers instead of an empty one.
Regarding point 2 sometimes you have to add a color layer to get it not to look gray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2008, 10:52 AM

thanks,

do you mean a colored layer instead of grey, ex. pink and D&B on that layer?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2009, 08:39 AM

well not exactly, 1 solid color layer set to white and soft light and 1 solid color layer set to black and soft light. Those two are for D&B.
Then use a solid color layer set to color disable it double click on it so now you can pick the color you're interested in replacing from the grayness made by the D&B.

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2009, 08:50 AM

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2009, 12:10 PM

Some things about this technique. Grey is generally better than transparent or black and white, for these reasons… because you can see the strokes clearly when Option clicking the retouch layers eye icon. More powerfully, it also allows you, after making a selection to use curves or any other adjustment technique directly on the layer. Or even selective blurring, or even noise. This allows direct editing of the layer.

To kill the effect, you obviously just paint 50% grey onto it, instead of erasing. Either keep your swatches panel open, or have a grey/white/black/ sampled color pixel swatch as the top layer of the document.

Also remember you don't have to get it right first time. A brush, with brush options set to 'color' can be used to recolorize any dodging or burning you have done. Since this is the main advantage that this technique has over the dual curves its pretty important to get a grasp of it.

There's really no magic about Soft Light, Overlay works too. This gives a slight advantage in some weird situations where you may want a much more powerful Burn, or perhaps an easily controllable 'intensity' with the layers scrubby slider, to make quick visual judgements. Its a more contrasty effect

Hope someones going to pay me for this some day

Last edited by Markzebra; 01-03-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2009, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Some things about this technique. Grey is generally better than transparent or black and white, for these reasons… because you can see the strokes clearly when Option clicking the retouch layers eye icon. More powerfully, it also allows you, after making a selection to use curves or any other adjustment technique directly on the layer. Or even selective blurring, or even noise. This allows direct editing of the layer.

To kill the effect, you obviously just paint 50% grey onto it, instead of erasing. Either keep your swatches panel open, or have a grey/white/black/ sampled color pixel swatch as the top layer of the document.

Also remember you don't have to get it right first time. A brush, with brush options set to 'color' can be used to recolorize any dodging or burning you have done. Since this is the main advantage that this technique has over the dual curves its pretty important to get a grasp of it.

There's really no magic about Soft Light, Overlay works too. This gives a slight advantage in some weird situations where you may want a much more powerful Burn, or perhaps an easily controllable 'intensity' with the layers scrubby slider, to make quick visual judgements. Its a more contrasty effect

Hope someones going to pay me for this some day
mmm well there's many ways to skin a cat, you can do most of what you said to the mask, although you can't apply adjustment layers to it. I feel more comfortable with the two solid color layers for the moment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2009, 12:15 PM

Agreed, it makes little or no difference to the result. Perhaps I should have said "more useful than" instead of "better than". Your method is directly interchangeable with dual curves, you are working on two layers. Black and white could also be replaced with tinted versions, depending on the color and depth of what you choose for your solid fill. This is another way of controlling mechanically the desaturation and of highlights and the saturation of shadows If your not comfortable with the curves RGB channels within dual curves, its a good substitute.

Last edited by Markzebra; 01-04-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching