Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Renaissance style technique for heirloom portraits

Old 01-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Renaissance style technique for heirloom portraits

Hello all

My very first post. I've been lurking for a while enjoying all the posts and now it's my turn to be active.

When I was in OC last year I noticed some great heirloom style portraits by Charis Portraiture.

Their online gallery can be found here

Does anyone have any insight into how the backgrounds/furniture have been altered to give the antique/vintage feel? Now I'm back in Australia I'd love to try this style out

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Re: Renaissance style technique for heirloom portr

It looks as if there is a backdrop which runs down to the floor. One can buy them, but it also could be a self painted one. There is also an old style carpet that give a certain mood.
The photos have a heavy vignetting and that i think give them the oldish look. It is all in the post processing. Also i think the background is left more textured which has gives it a certain feel. The people are heavily edited, but i thinks it suits them. I am not a pro, but i do photo editing so i thought i give you my thoughts...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2009, 11:25 PM

Sx, Welcome to RetouchPRO..

I hate to be a bubble burster but as Evelyn said they are standard backdrops with subdued lighting and the furniture is OLD!

There was a time when I had some two legged marble tables that were broken in half.. but with a bit of repair and hiding certain parts, made excellent props.. I was always on the lookout at sales, etc., for old damaged items I could get on the CHEEP to use as props (my wife hated to see me dragging stuff back to the studio! but most of it got used .. if only for one time!)

Not everything is Photoshopped!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2009, 06:54 AM

If you want to add the backdrops digitally then try They sell digital backdrops as well as real studio ones.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching