Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Other skin treatments( after D&B)

Old 03-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Re: Other skin treatments( after D&B)

if there's no good skin I would clone or heal the REALLY pitted stuff and then with large pores i select small selections of the area in question with a 5-10px feather and shrink them so they still have the pore texture but they are smaller. I then take the opacity down slightly and continue until the area is finished. Another way is to duplicate the layer and go over the 2nd layer (carefully) with a 13% soft brush until it's relatively smooth and then copy the skin from the original layer (minus the hard lines like nostrils and lips etc) and lay a high pass filter over it of about .8 depending on how close the image is or how high your resolution is. You then make that layer the top layer and make it an overlay. t's worked for me in the past for REALLY bad skin. . . it's another one that you might want to play around with. Everyone has their preferences . ..
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2009, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by flice View Post
Just curious... why would you "NEVER" use D&B? If anything this is the only true way to retain original texture. You're not supposed to even the skin out completely with D&B but make the blemishes blend in better. If you don't go all out you get smoothe original skin.

Once you start cloning and healing you're actually taking one area, making a copy of it and putting it somewhere else, in most cases due to the lighting you'll be dumping the texture close to where you got it from thus in the risk of creating patterns if you don't do additional changes afterwards.

Check out, he earned himself the nickname "mr. skin" here in Europe.
I used to work for him as assistent and retoucher, and I guarantee that he does not use clone & heal to do anything more than takes away beauty marks or undodgeable marks. The skin is cleaned completely with D&B... I got sore fingers to prove it hehe x)

If you're bothered by redness in facial skin then use selective color and take out 10 magenta from red, add 5 cyan to red, then add 7-10 meganta to yellow. (adjust to fit of course).
If it's only partial areas that suffer, then of course add a mask and brush it in manually.

If your clients complain about the time spent, you say that art takes time and costs money

Do you use a tablet to do D&B work? I find when I do it with a mouse i want to kill myself because it ends up hurting my wrist SOOOOOOO much. . . . D&B is beautiful but it hurts!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2009, 10:48 AM

lol i heard of a profesional retoucher who used to retouch with a his laptop touchpad !!
but yeah, if you can afford a wacom do not hesitate. touchpad or mous, it is unthinkable for serious retouch work.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching