RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Pageant Retouched Photo

Old 01-20-2009, 01:20 PM

Re: Pageant Retouched Photo

Chandra, first be sure to work off a copy of the original as a second layer keeping the first layer "background" eye closed (not sure what your program has) so you don't see or work off of it.

So, on the second layer, which is a copy of the entire photo, first, I *quickly* cut and pasted just her head/hair/hoodie to a new layer (should be your third layer) and then straightened her out...obviously you would take your time to get a clean extraction. When you're happy with how the head meshes with the body, merge the two layers (2nd and 3rd).

Next, for the background, again you'd take your time extracting or erasing, whatever method you're comfortable with, around her hoodie. I would make another copy now of the photo with her head in the straightened position and not work off a second copy of the fixed photo. This should now be your third layer. Add a blank layer and move it underneath your top layer (which should have the erased background). On the blank layer for simple-sake, just "pour" a color into it so you can see the result. I just added a pink-tinted background, nothing fancy.

There may have been something else done that I'm not remembering but just ask if you don't get it. I'm not the greatest at explaining. I started confusing myself

Take your time, experiment, and good luck!

PS: Keven, I'm sure this'll be easier for you to follow.

Last edited by pixeltek; 01-20-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:32 PM

pixeltek,

Thanks for shairing.

-Keven
Old 01-20-2009, 02:13 PM

well i played with it for a little bit and you gotta remember this is my first time... i dont think the editing is that bad but its still NOTHING close to what im looking for.. imay jst have to break down and dish out the the money for someone to make me one... but here's my go at it..

Original

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...draSmith/6.jpg

Retouched

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...Smith/test.jpg
Old 01-20-2009, 02:15 PM

I sharpened around the edges way to much but i dont think the face is that bad
Old 01-20-2009, 02:45 PM

You are correct on the sharpening, It is too much. But the retouch of the face is not bad. Your not quite perfectly strait but the crop is much better. But with that said i would come out a bit and straiten and center a bit better. [View >>> show>>> Grid] should help with the straitening

Add some D&B, a simple D&B is shown below. It just adds definition. The re-crop I did in my view is to tight and should be zoomed out.

-Keven

*starts with original then with D&B and next straitened and last D&B layer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test-sized.jpg (95.9 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg test-KA-D&B.jpg (95.7 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg test-KA.jpg (96.3 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg test-KA-D&B-layer.jpg (27.0 KB, 305 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 01-20-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:51 PM

Pageant pics are generaly tilted and not so close . I do like what youv'e done though. I wish I could the d&b but to old to get it or something. Pat
Old 01-20-2009, 03:09 PM

i dont know what d&b is... and I agree its to close.. I'm just going to have to pay someone most likely... there are some EXTEMELY talented people out there and i jst can't compete with that...
Old 01-20-2009, 09:59 PM

I know its long, but from what you have done so far, it will just take it one step further.

The Dodge, Burn, and Sponge Tools
These three tools mimic photographic techniques to lighten or darken images. Dodge is
used to lighten an image, Burn darkens an image, while the Sponge tool increases the
(colour) saturation. Select the desired tool and scroll over the area or selection of the
image you want to darken.

(Dodge and Burn (non-destructive) [New 50% grey layer set to soft light blending mode, then paint with Black (burn) & White (dodge), and a 5% opacity brush). My before post shows my soft light layer I used for your picture.

Movie tut of how to make layer and use it.

You can use D&B to make 2d appear 3d. See ball below found here The next picture is a picture of a light and shadow map of the face. Use it as a guide, but you do not need to use all of it all the time. The light present in every picture should be your MAIN guide. A basic guide Is to make lighter inner and darker outer or make the closest part lighter (always lightn tward the light).

Try it out,
-Keven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45o0u 3d ball.jpg (3.4 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Light%20and%20shadow%20face%20apply%20make%20up.jpg (85.9 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 01-21-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:10 PM

Talking Re: Pageant Retouched Photo

Okay, So I realize it's been a while since this thread was active, but I just had to try the steps that everyone suggested to edit two photos.

The one that was supplied above, and a picture of my cousin.

Makenzie Before -
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/s...nCuties/b4.png

Makenzie After -
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/s...nCuties/af.png

Pageant Cutie Before -
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/s...Cuties/b41.png

Pageant Cutie After -
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/s...Cuties/af1.png

I'm not too good with photoshop so bear with me
Old 03-23-2009, 09:50 PM

Hiya, I just found this board from another photog board I regular. I am so happy to be here! I had a try at your little darling. I chose to do the one no one else attempted yet... it is a small photo so the results are limited but I hope you like what I came up with... being new to this board I hope I can manage to attach the file properly

1-2.jpg

1-2_rvsd2.jpg

Last edited by valerism; 03-24-2009 at 09:00 PM.

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching