RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Pageant Retouched Photo

Old 08-24-2009, 04:36 PM

Re: Pageant Retouched Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinkenmommy View Post
These are the pictures that I'm wanting to touch up....any advice on how I can do it?

I'd love to make one of them look like a baby doll (fake, glitzy pageant like) just for the heck of it but I have no idea how. My goal for all of them is a natural, uncluttered look....these are just shots that I took myself and wanted something "unique" behind....I have Photoshop CS3 and know how to change backgrounds, but when it comes to "fixing" facial/body flaws, I have no clue how to do that. These were all shot with a Canon EOS XTi Digital camera, so the quality is good, but I have am just learning the airbrushing and editing techniques!

Any advice?

The plastic fantastic skin is quite easy to do, there are many different ways, one of them is make a copy of the original layer, use surface blur until all the texture in the skin disappears, add a mask to the layer fill with black, and then paint with a brush set to white on the parts you're interested in "plastifying", make sure to take attention in edges and contrast lines.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 06:05 PM

I don't know how people can do this to children.
Seems perverted to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 08:35 PM

I do pageant photography but i only shoot natural headshots. But if you really serious about glitz pageants your going to have to pay for good glitz pics theres no other way to put it, unless your a pro retoucher yourself. And photogenic is a big part of the score even though the retoucher is actually winning not the kids.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 09:11 PM

I don't think so, most of what's done to a glitz photo is not that complicated, I doubt it would take as much time as a normal beauty photography using D&B. The thing is that you can teach techniques and effects, but applying them to each photo in a way to make them look good is what you can't teach.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flotsam View Post
I don't know how people can do this to children.
Seems perverted to me.
I wanted to be in pagents when i was little but my mom wouldn't let me. I might still be a little bitter about it.
yeah it is weird that people MAKE their daughter's do this. Some girls truly like pageantry though, they love getting all dressed up, the attention, etc. It would be absolutely embarrasing to be unprepated and kill your self esteem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2009, 03:49 AM

There is no need for that language. If you don't agree with this then move on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2009, 04:25 PM

Now she's beautiful!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6a0110184cd071860f0110168a036f860c.jpg (76.9 KB, 126 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcole View Post
Here's one I did awhile back.
did you photograph this too? I've got several pageant clients, but I only do their "natural" photos (so far). it appears that it's best to start with a great pose, suitable for this "look" - with the eyes open pretty wide, not much of a smile, etc. this thread has been helpful!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terily View Post
did you photograph this too? I've got several pageant clients, but I only do their "natural" photos (so far). it appears that it's best to start with a great pose, suitable for this "look" - with the eyes open pretty wide, not much of a smile, etc. this thread has been helpful!
Hi Terily,

No, I didn't photograph this one. But you're right, you definitely want to start with a good image.

Here's a larger version of the one I posted before. http://www.flickr.com/photos/2617239...53920/sizes/o/

The irony of these 'glitz' photos is that they're used for the 'photogenic' portion of the pageant, and that's the last thing the judges are looking for. In fact, if you look at a lot of the winning photos, they're some of the most fake looking retouching you'll ever see.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 04:44 PM

I found this thread doing the same thing as the last mom. My daughter has been in pageants for about 1 year and we are in the process of making a move with better photos. What program are most of you using for this and is one more easier to lear to use. You can not believe the prices some charge for just regular touch ups such as stray hairs. We also should have a photo backer which is a photo with the childs stats and age etc and those are exorbent as well. I would love to learn to do this myself to offset some of the pageant pricing. I truely appreciate your help and advice. Thanks in advance.
proud mom of a beauty queen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching