RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Pageant Retouched Photo

Old 01-19-2009, 08:37 PM

Question Pageant Retouched Photo

Hey everyone I'm new to the forums and I'm in need of some help!

I am semi new to photo retouching. I know the basics of it but my daughter has just recently started doing the higher level pageants and we're in need of a glitz pageant photo.

I searched the word pageant on this site for some instructions as to how to do it in depth but I'm using Paint shop pro 12 and alot of the instructions arent compatable with my program and then 90% of the posts where bashing the idea.. so I got really no help??

I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers as far as skin and mainly the doll eyes... to pay someone to do it is MONDO expensive so i thought i'd give it a shot at doing on my own.. and try to get some help here

Here are two pictures of my daughter natural and then an example of how I'd like to make them look..

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...aSmith/1-2.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...draSmith/6.jpg

And how I'd like to TRY to make them look..

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...llard_pink.jpg

http://www.bellevisagephotography.co...hotography.htm

I know probably everyone is going to bash this thread and I know my daughter is gorgeous but its just used for a competition.

Thank you very much to the ones who help me!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2009, 10:20 PM

Re: Pageant Retouched Photo

Most of that look is through masking. Surface blur only the face. Sharpen everything else. Vibrence/saturation select parts.

The rest is painting and D&B (Dodge and Burn [50% grey set to soft light blending mode painting with B&W]).

Look below at the screen shoot for more details. I did 2 version's one with and with less of the skin surface blurred. I do not have or used the program you own but I hope this puts you in the right direction. I don’t have fake eye lashes so I could not add them. You could also change the background but I do not have a pink one.

Larger image should lead to much better results. And hopefully others will add their own thoughts.

FOR NEXT TIME> If you’re going for a Barbie doll look, the neck should not be bent so much. Like the example picture, the neck is perfectly strait. I'm not saying its a bad picture or pose, just a comment.

Hope this helps,
-Keven

*Starts with the original, then the slightly blured, then the full blur.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6-ORIGINAL.jpg (72.5 KB, 688 views)
File Type: jpg 6-KA-natural.jpg (92.5 KB, 648 views)
File Type: jpg 6-KA.jpg (95.0 KB, 912 views)
File Type: jpg 6-KA-Screenshoot.jpg (97.1 KB, 591 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 01-20-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 PM

Another thing you can do is try the same lighting setup the example picture used. Its called butterfly lighting, you can look it up to find the exact set up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 07:04 AM

Ok that helps out alot.. I'll start with those pointers and see what I can come up with!! Thank you so much! The last picture you posted is very close to what I'm aiming for. I also have to figure out how to do the doll eyes. I cant figure out if they just redraw them or use a brush or tube for them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 07:32 AM

Its over sharpening and masking only that area.

-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 08:01 AM

First that is a beautiful child... I too work with Pageant pics and althouigh I wish you did not have to do them like this it is what's expected now. I have done a little but pic is small and I am a novice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6_1.jpg (41.1 KB, 618 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 08:44 AM

this was done literally in less than 5 minutes...ignore the extraction details...i just wanted to show you that if this is the photo you have your heart set on using, you can straighten your daughter's head, replace the background, and have a nice photo...i didn't do anything else to the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pageant.jpg (90.4 KB, 699 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltek View Post
this was done literally in less than 5 minutes...ignore the extraction details...i just wanted to show you that if this is the photo you have your heart set on using, you can straighten your daughter's head, replace the background, and have a nice photo...i didn't do anything else to the photo.
Oh my gosh I love how you straightened it!!

And the eyelashes in the photo before are awesome!

I have so much to learn and it looks so easy to you guys... I played with it last night and just can't get it to look right
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 12:52 PM

If you need more help, tell us what you have done, then post where your at and also a screen shot of you layers pannal (alt + print screen then paste into a new PS doc).

pixeltek, I realy like the straiting also. What method did you use? Looks crazy when you flip from original to the strait...lol

-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 01:02 PM

Question Re: Pageant Retouched Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltek View Post
How did you straighten the photo?? I know there is a straighten tool on paint shop pro but i haven't figured out exactly how to use it yet?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching