RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Pageant Retouched Photo

Old 01-19-2009, 07:37 PM

Question Pageant Retouched Photo

Hey everyone I'm new to the forums and I'm in need of some help!

I am semi new to photo retouching. I know the basics of it but my daughter has just recently started doing the higher level pageants and we're in need of a glitz pageant photo.

I searched the word pageant on this site for some instructions as to how to do it in depth but I'm using Paint shop pro 12 and alot of the instructions arent compatable with my program and then 90% of the posts where bashing the idea.. so I got really no help??

I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers as far as skin and mainly the doll eyes... to pay someone to do it is MONDO expensive so i thought i'd give it a shot at doing on my own.. and try to get some help here

Here are two pictures of my daughter natural and then an example of how I'd like to make them look..

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...aSmith/1-2.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...draSmith/6.jpg

And how I'd like to TRY to make them look..

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...llard_pink.jpg

http://www.bellevisagephotography.co...hotography.htm

I know probably everyone is going to bash this thread and I know my daughter is gorgeous but its just used for a competition.

Thank you very much to the ones who help me!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 PM

Re: Pageant Retouched Photo

Most of that look is through masking. Surface blur only the face. Sharpen everything else. Vibrence/saturation select parts.

The rest is painting and D&B (Dodge and Burn [50% grey set to soft light blending mode painting with B&W]).

Look below at the screen shoot for more details. I did 2 version's one with and with less of the skin surface blurred. I do not have or used the program you own but I hope this puts you in the right direction. I don’t have fake eye lashes so I could not add them. You could also change the background but I do not have a pink one.

Larger image should lead to much better results. And hopefully others will add their own thoughts.

FOR NEXT TIME> If you’re going for a Barbie doll look, the neck should not be bent so much. Like the example picture, the neck is perfectly strait. I'm not saying its a bad picture or pose, just a comment.

Hope this helps,
-Keven

*Starts with the original, then the slightly blured, then the full blur.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6-ORIGINAL.jpg (72.5 KB, 684 views)
File Type: jpg 6-KA-natural.jpg (92.5 KB, 644 views)
File Type: jpg 6-KA.jpg (95.0 KB, 907 views)
File Type: jpg 6-KA-Screenshoot.jpg (97.1 KB, 588 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 01-20-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2009, 09:56 PM

Another thing you can do is try the same lighting setup the example picture used. Its called butterfly lighting, you can look it up to find the exact set up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 06:04 AM

Ok that helps out alot.. I'll start with those pointers and see what I can come up with!! Thank you so much! The last picture you posted is very close to what I'm aiming for. I also have to figure out how to do the doll eyes. I cant figure out if they just redraw them or use a brush or tube for them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 06:32 AM

Its over sharpening and masking only that area.

-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 AM

First that is a beautiful child... I too work with Pageant pics and althouigh I wish you did not have to do them like this it is what's expected now. I have done a little but pic is small and I am a novice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6_1.jpg (41.1 KB, 614 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 07:44 AM

this was done literally in less than 5 minutes...ignore the extraction details...i just wanted to show you that if this is the photo you have your heart set on using, you can straighten your daughter's head, replace the background, and have a nice photo...i didn't do anything else to the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pageant.jpg (90.4 KB, 696 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltek View Post
this was done literally in less than 5 minutes...ignore the extraction details...i just wanted to show you that if this is the photo you have your heart set on using, you can straighten your daughter's head, replace the background, and have a nice photo...i didn't do anything else to the photo.
Oh my gosh I love how you straightened it!!

And the eyelashes in the photo before are awesome!

I have so much to learn and it looks so easy to you guys... I played with it last night and just can't get it to look right
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 11:52 AM

If you need more help, tell us what you have done, then post where your at and also a screen shot of you layers pannal (alt + print screen then paste into a new PS doc).

pixeltek, I realy like the straiting also. What method did you use? Looks crazy when you flip from original to the strait...lol

-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 12:02 PM

Question Re: Pageant Retouched Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltek View Post
How did you straighten the photo?? I know there is a straighten tool on paint shop pro but i haven't figured out exactly how to use it yet?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 12:20 PM

Chandra, first be sure to work off a copy of the original as a second layer keeping the first layer "background" eye closed (not sure what your program has) so you don't see or work off of it.

So, on the second layer, which is a copy of the entire photo, first, I *quickly* cut and pasted just her head/hair/hoodie to a new layer (should be your third layer) and then straightened her out...obviously you would take your time to get a clean extraction. When you're happy with how the head meshes with the body, merge the two layers (2nd and 3rd).

Next, for the background, again you'd take your time extracting or erasing, whatever method you're comfortable with, around her hoodie. I would make another copy now of the photo with her head in the straightened position and not work off a second copy of the fixed photo. This should now be your third layer. Add a blank layer and move it underneath your top layer (which should have the erased background). On the blank layer for simple-sake, just "pour" a color into it so you can see the result. I just added a pink-tinted background, nothing fancy.

There may have been something else done that I'm not remembering but just ask if you don't get it. I'm not the greatest at explaining. I started confusing myself

Take your time, experiment, and good luck!

PS: Keven, I'm sure this'll be easier for you to follow.

Last edited by pixeltek; 01-20-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 12:32 PM

pixeltek,

Thanks for shairing.

-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 01:13 PM

well i played with it for a little bit and you gotta remember this is my first time... i dont think the editing is that bad but its still NOTHING close to what im looking for.. imay jst have to break down and dish out the the money for someone to make me one... but here's my go at it..

Original

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...draSmith/6.jpg

Retouched

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...Smith/test.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 01:15 PM

I sharpened around the edges way to much but i dont think the face is that bad
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 01:45 PM

You are correct on the sharpening, It is too much. But the retouch of the face is not bad. Your not quite perfectly strait but the crop is much better. But with that said i would come out a bit and straiten and center a bit better. [View >>> show>>> Grid] should help with the straitening

Add some D&B, a simple D&B is shown below. It just adds definition. The re-crop I did in my view is to tight and should be zoomed out.

-Keven

*starts with original then with D&B and next straitened and last D&B layer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test-sized.jpg (95.9 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg test-KA-D&B.jpg (95.7 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg test-KA.jpg (96.3 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg test-KA-D&B-layer.jpg (27.0 KB, 305 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 01-20-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 01:51 PM

Pageant pics are generaly tilted and not so close . I do like what youv'e done though. I wish I could the d&b but to old to get it or something. Pat
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 02:09 PM

i dont know what d&b is... and I agree its to close.. I'm just going to have to pay someone most likely... there are some EXTEMELY talented people out there and i jst can't compete with that...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 08:59 PM

I know its long, but from what you have done so far, it will just take it one step further.

The Dodge, Burn, and Sponge Tools
These three tools mimic photographic techniques to lighten or darken images. Dodge is
used to lighten an image, Burn darkens an image, while the Sponge tool increases the
(colour) saturation. Select the desired tool and scroll over the area or selection of the
image you want to darken.

(Dodge and Burn (non-destructive) [New 50% grey layer set to soft light blending mode, then paint with Black (burn) & White (dodge), and a 5% opacity brush). My before post shows my soft light layer I used for your picture.

Movie tut of how to make layer and use it.

You can use D&B to make 2d appear 3d. See ball below found here The next picture is a picture of a light and shadow map of the face. Use it as a guide, but you do not need to use all of it all the time. The light present in every picture should be your MAIN guide. A basic guide Is to make lighter inner and darker outer or make the closest part lighter (always lightn tward the light).

Try it out,
-Keven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45o0u 3d ball.jpg (3.4 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Light%20and%20shadow%20face%20apply%20make%20up.jpg (85.9 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 01-20-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 PM

Talking Re: Pageant Retouched Photo

Okay, So I realize it's been a while since this thread was active, but I just had to try the steps that everyone suggested to edit two photos.

The one that was supplied above, and a picture of my cousin.

Makenzie Before -
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/s...nCuties/b4.png

Makenzie After -
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/s...nCuties/af.png

Pageant Cutie Before -
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/s...Cuties/b41.png

Pageant Cutie After -
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/s...Cuties/af1.png

I'm not too good with photoshop so bear with me
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2009, 08:50 PM

Hiya, I just found this board from another photog board I regular. I am so happy to be here! I had a try at your little darling. I chose to do the one no one else attempted yet... it is a small photo so the results are limited but I hope you like what I came up with... being new to this board I hope I can manage to attach the file properly

1-2.jpg

1-2_rvsd2.jpg

Last edited by valerism; 03-24-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2009, 10:43 PM

My 2 tries here:

pageantBabyWeb.jpg

pageantBaby2Web.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2009, 01:47 AM

I thought I would give it a try too. I didn't attempt the "pageant hair" so I guess you could call this a "semi-glitz"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pageant6.jpg (72.9 KB, 305 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2009, 05:00 PM

Wait a second - it appears this is not a joke thread. People actually want their daughters to look like this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feppe View Post
Wait a second - it appears this is not a joke thread. People actually want their daughters to look like this?
Yes, there are those who do and then again ... those who do not. I imagine if you google about it you will find a forum in which to discuss the pros and cons of such.

Did you have a retouched photo you wanted to share with this thread in the retouch forum? I would love to see what you came up with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 PM

I opted to try yet another ... actually ... same one but I added lashes and touched up the lips. She is just so naturally beautiful that I only did a little play with the lighting in the first tries (and a tad D&B).

If you need an even more plastic look ... just holler. (I am not trying to be disrespectful to you when I say "plastic look". That just happens to be the look I see them going for in the pageant retouch genre.

pageantBabyDollWeb.jpg

Slightly lighter than one above:

pageantBabyDoll2Web.jpg

Last edited by moonchild64; 03-24-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild64 View Post
Yes, there are those who do and then again ... those who do not. I imagine if you google about it you will find a forum in which to discuss the pros and cons of such.

Did you have a retouched photo you wanted to share with this thread in the retouch forum? I would love to see what you came up with.
If it wasn't apparent, it's against my ethics so I won't. I won't bother the thread anymore.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2009, 10:41 AM

Thank you for the great walkthrough.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2009, 06:36 AM

Here's one I did awhile back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glitz compare (sm).jpg (92.9 KB, 312 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2009, 02:39 AM

i have never retouched photos before but i do do glitz pageants and i have won ultimate grand supreme! this only took me 15 mins to do and its my first time! you would have to fix up the eyeliner and with the hair and doll eyes and eyebrows i selected and then copied them off the photo you added with the girl in the pink!

1-2.jpg

1-2 ,.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra View Post
I know probably everyone is going to bash this thread and I know my daughter is gorgeous but its just used for a competition.
Indeed! Let her be a kid! Don't use your daughter to inflate your ego! She is not a plastic doll!

Having said that, your pictures are not ideal to turn into 'pageantry' images: they are unsharp! So, go and retake them! (With better lighting and background, and without black or other dark colors! Shoot RAW for careful tweaking)

I did a Quick & Dirty on the pinkish one nevertheless: brightened darker parts, smoothed skin, brightened eye-whites and teeth, saturated irises, dodged eye keylights, enlarged eyes, unsharp mask.

I did not add heavy make-up as I refuse to make a sweet 4 year old look like a prostitute.

ChandrakidB4After.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chandra kid B4&After-6.jpg (92.8 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by W.Smith; 07-05-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2009, 07:54 AM

I think it is funny when people who retouch for a living and create caricatures of mostly women in an industry (beauty) that thinks bodies need be perfect have a problem with pageant pictures .I too think the majority go way over board but reouching in itself is crazy nothing is perfect but if the world or or even pageants think they need be then you will always be in business. I find few purists that retouch.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolli View Post
I think it is funny when people who retouch for a living and create caricatures of mostly women in an industry (beauty) that thinks bodies need be perfect have a problem with pageant pictures .I too think the majority go way over board but reouching in itself is crazy nothing is perfect but if the world or or even pageants think they need be then you will always be in business. I find few purists that retouch.
'Pageantry retouching' is a paradox/oxymoron, because 'retouching', by nature, consists of subtle adaptations (careful/nuanced 'touching') that improve(s) the image/subject, while 'pageantry retouching' is de facto changing the image/subject to something it never was.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2009, 08:21 AM

The real irony is that these photos are for the 'photogenic' portion of the contest. If they really wanted to judge someone on how photogenic they are, they shouldn't allow ANY retouching of any kind.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcole View Post
the real irony is that these photos are for the 'photogenic' portion of the contest. If they really wanted to judge someone on how photogenic they are, they shouldn't allow any retouching of any kind.
lol! .
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2009, 11:29 AM

I think it is a crazy thing and have never been able to see why but then when I look at some of the so called fashion or beauty retouches on here and in adds magazines and ect. I am just as apalled I for one would much rather buy a product that has real people with warts and all . Art truly is in the eye of the beholder or in the fashion world it is what we are told is beautiful and the sheep follow and say oh yes I see what you mean how beautiful!!!Again I say yukkkkkk!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2009, 12:26 PM

Lolli, I'm with you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2009, 01:20 PM

I am sooo glad my mom didn't do that to me as a child. x)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2009, 06:59 AM

I gave it a try...

Hi res http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2464/62ret.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6-2retweb2.jpg (99.6 KB, 85 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2009, 10:29 PM

Regadless of pageants, she's a very pretty girl!

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chandra.jpg (96.7 KB, 99 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2009, 12:15 AM

meh, when there wasn't beauty retouch it was illustrations.... The beauty industry is a bit of real and snake oil selling. Even if you don't like it and others don't either there has always been casting either in beauty and fashion, normally no one wants to see "normal"

Now this taken to child pageants, to each his own I personally don't like it but there seems to be a market for it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2009, 05:10 AM

The saddest thread on retouchpro.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julius View Post
The saddest thread on retouchpro.
yeah well its still retouch and there are retouchers getting payed for this, it may seem sad to you but its business to others as well as some enjoying the retouch work
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2009, 01:21 PM

Ah, yes. The Crazy Doll Lady effect.

I'm seriously hoping the OP is after a better edit then the first "retouched" (or should I say painted?) sample provided in the first post...

The second link provides some better examples, although the "Natural" section still is anything but IMO.

On how to: Whiten eyes and teeth too much, paint a catchlight into the eyes, sharpen and / or paint the eyes / eyelashes, blur the skin.

Last edited by ReneDamkot; 07-08-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2009, 10:18 AM

I am wanting to do this too, with our some of our daughters pictures....mostly natural pageants, but I think it'd be kind of cool just to see what they would look like done glitzy...lol Is there a website that I could go to and learn the "steps"? I have Adobe Photoshop CS3 that I'm VERY new at it. I can't seem to get any pictures to open up....can someone help me?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinkenmommy View Post
I am wanting to do this too, with our some of our daughters pictures....mostly natural pageants, but I think it'd be kind of cool just to see what they would look like done glitzy...lol Is there a website that I could go to and learn the "steps"? I have Adobe Photoshop CS3 that I'm VERY new at it. I can't seem to get any pictures to open up....can someone help me?
Get someone who knows what they're doing to do it and go brush your daughter's hair.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolli View Post
I think it is funny when people who retouch for a living and create caricatures of mostly women in an industry (beauty) that thinks bodies need be perfect have a problem with pageant pictures ----- I find few purists that retouch.
I think you are an idiot and...

An I think this should be I L E G A L

The models I RETOUCH are GROWN WOMAN that can make their own choices, this is a KID, an innocent child transformed and deformed to extremity.

How can you compare something done to an adult with something done to a child????

Pageant is one of the MANY things WRONG.... and then they want to put a disclaimer on photoshoped images?

Make this woman have brain surgery !! Or at least Therapy!!

Someone tell her (AND ALL THE OTHERS) she is teaching her daughter she should be plastic like beautifull
Tell her she is telling her daughter she doesn't like the way she is 'naturally' and that's why she applies make up on her little face and retouches her pictures to insanity!!

OMG OMG OMG
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2009, 07:27 AM

OMG

yup, needed one more post!

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Smith View Post
Get someone who knows what they're doing to do it and go brush your daughter's hair.
wow that's a nice greeting on a forum about retouch and learning....

Don't like what she asked you don't have to be mean about it....
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2009, 02:22 PM

Angry Re: Pageant Retouched Photo

Yeah, those who judge....I asked about retouching, not your OPINION about retouching...this is a retouching forum, not a forum about your feelings...please consult a therapist about your opinions and feelings, not ones looking for advise on retouching photographs....would it have been different if I wanted to retouch a photo of my dog or house?! Too many biased people in this thread...WOW!! If you didn't have an actual answer to my question (aka a FREAKIN' CLUE), admit that you don't and leave all the other comments out...sheesh...if you would have read my thread better, it stated that I wanted to see what she'd look like with it done (thought it'd be funny)...we don't compete in Glitz Pageants...only natural and have only done a couple...you may want to re-evaluate your life before you starting judging others!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2009, 05:49 AM

I too will be trying to learn this...I am a photographer and it will come in handy knowing how to do this...would i do it to my daughter if i had one....well that doesnt matter...its a skill photographers/editors would get paid for! so i need to know how to do it to broaden my skills.

for everyone bashing it....this is a retouch forum....for learning skills...not talkin about why we want the skills or if its ethically correct....
and let me say just one more thing... i have a friend who has a daughter that does pageants, and she knows "getting dressed up" and glitzed is fake, but its fun and she loves it and she knows thats not really what she looks like, its halloween to her...people CAN make it ok and not brainwash the kids into thinkin...look like this or u'll fail at life, so its all about how u parent....the glitz photos doesnt make u a bad parent or taint your kids in my opinion, its how u handle it!!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
..sheesh...if you would have read my thread better, it stated that I wanted to see what she'd look like with it done (thought it'd be funny)...we don't compete in Glitz Pageants...only natural and have only done a couple...you may want to re-evaluate your life before you starting judging others!
I re read it and u said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra View Post
but my daughter has just recently started doing the higher level pageants and we're in need of a glitz pageant photo.
And how I'd like to TRY to make them look..
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...llard_pink.jpg
http://www.bellevisagephotography.co...hotography.htm
So I stand by my words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picsbysamm View Post
for everyone bashing it....this is a retouch forum....for learning skills...not talkin about why we want the skills or if its ethically correct....
and let me say just one more thing... i have a friend who has a daughter that does pageants, and she knows "getting dressed up" and glitzed is fake, but its fun and she loves it and she knows thats not really what she looks like, its halloween to her...people CAN make it ok and not brainwash the kids into thinkin...look like this or u'll fail at life, so its all about how u parent....the glitz photos doesnt make u a bad parent or taint your kids in my opinion, its how u handle it!!!!!!
Like u express your opinion, I express mine.

And I wouldn't comment on a thread about something I simply disagree on, but someone called retouchers who think this is sick hypocrites - I'm one of them and I don't see my self as a hypocrite so I stated my point of view, like u stated yours... so it's only OK to post your opinion if you agree with the OP? REALLY missing your point.

xx
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2009, 07:59 AM

wasnt directed soley at you, just stating my opinion as well....and my point being in MY OPINION, i dont think this is a sick thing...its fun for the kids ...the kids who's parents don't let it get to their heads and "parent" their children correctly.......meanin its just a FUN pic, they dont expect u to look like this..but this is an editing forum..not parenting..so i wont go into it...my point was just to express my opinion towards pageant moms and people that edit these pics for their kids, family friends, that not everyone thinks it's sick.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2009, 08:55 AM

Whether or not it's bad for the kids; I honestly don't know... As long as they're having fun, why not?
My main problem is that a lot of that retouching is done so very, vary bad...
The kids go "plastic" (if they're lucky )

IMO: If you want a painting, ask a painter
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picsbysamm View Post
wasnt directed soley at you, just stating my opinion as well....and my point being in MY OPINION, i dont think this is a sick thing...its fun for the kids ...the kids who's parents don't let it get to their heads and "parent" their children correctly.......meanin its just a FUN pic, they dont expect u to look like this..but this is an editing forum..not parenting..so i wont go into it...my point was just to express my opinion towards pageant moms and people that edit these pics for their kids, family friends, that not everyone thinks it's sick.
It's not quite a matter of opinion, statistics TALK

Kids are forced into perfection. They are minors, so their parents or legal guardians are suppose to make the decision for them in order for their own betterment.

A lot of these children develop a negative image of themselves, despite how truly beautiful they are.
That plus eating disorders and promiscuity are often developed in the child’s later years due to the constant emphasis on their physical attributes, leading them to believe that that is the way they can get somewhere in life.

I'm sory if I insulted someone but talk with pediatricians or pedagogues and find ONE (who isn't in the pagent business) who thinks it's GOOD for the children involved and I WILL SHUT IT

x

PS: The retouching in these images also makes me sick but for a whole other set of reasons that have more to do with quality
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2009, 12:27 PM

Godmother...that was NOT my quote! Sorry to disappoint, but that was another persons quote! Again, we don't care how or why you feel the way you do, we are all here to LEARN how to do something, not be judged for wanting to do it and/or why we want to....this is a forum for HELPING OTHERS not JUDGING OTHERS! If you don't care to help, why do you insist on commenting and feeling like YOUR OPINION is the only one that's right?! I DO NOT put our daughter in Glitz pageants....she's in NATURAL pageants I just said it'd be neat to SEE how she'd look...heck, I'd even do it with a picture of me, just to see what it'd look like...sheesh
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Godmother...that was NOT my quote! Sorry to disappoint, but that was another persons quote! Again, we don't care how or why you feel the way you do, we are all here to LEARN how to do something, not be judged for wanting to do it and/or why we want to....this is a forum for HELPING OTHERS not JUDGING OTHERS! If you don't care to help, why do you insist on commenting and feeling like YOUR OPINION is the only one that's right?! I DO NOT put our daughter in Glitz pageants....she's in NATURAL pageants I just said it'd be neat to SEE how she'd look...heck, I'd even do it with a picture of me, just to see what it'd look like...sheesh
ok...

1-u said:
Quote:
..sheesh...if you would have read my thread better
So I thought this was your thread, didn't notice the different names

If u're not the OP then my comment was not directed at you, at ALL but to the OP

I have nothing against Natural pageants

or at least I can accept them better

And if you want to see how she looks like for fun , I have nothing against that either... I was only talking about ppl entering those contest and putting children trough that (Like the OP)

I had you and he OP mixed up, sorry about that

but yes... I do think Glitz pageants are sick, retouch done for Glitz pageants is sick and... no, I don't think there's ANY OTHER way to look at Glitz pageants - I really don't think it's a matter of opinion either (Like I explained earlier)

AND AGAIN - I only expressed my opinion because I thought it was ridiculous where the thread was going, comparing fashion and beauty retouch to Glitz pageants!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2009, 07:46 PM

Pageants aren't all bad as long as the child wants to do them and is well prepared for it. It can build self esteem as well as tear it down, it's a fine line, but you have to leave it up to the child and make sure she is guilt free from your emotions. With that said, it looks like the photo has lots of layers, makeup added, surface blur, hue/saturation tweaks, lighting effects, eyelashes added using eyelash brush plugins (i got mine from deviantart.com). It's really really fake. And children naturally have soft smooth skin, it's a tragedy that pageant officials don't note that when looking at pictures and judging.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2009, 08:35 PM

I took a quick go at it. She is so pretty, i almost felt bad making her into a plastic image. I think I brightened her up a little much.
The other little girl had an insane hairstyle for a little kid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (51.2 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 02:37 PM

These are the pictures that I'm wanting to touch up....any advice on how I can do it?

I'd love to make one of them look like a baby doll (fake, glitzy pageant like) just for the heck of it but I have no idea how. My goal for all of them is a natural, uncluttered look....these are just shots that I took myself and wanted something "unique" behind....I have Photoshop CS3 and know how to change backgrounds, but when it comes to "fixing" facial/body flaws, I have no clue how to do that. These were all shot with a Canon EOS XTi Digital camera, so the quality is good, but I have am just learning the airbrushing and editing techniques!

Any advice?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caels Close Up Pink Backdrop.jpg (46.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Caels Surprise.jpg (40.0 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 03:24 PM

First of all they probably have on High Definition Foundation and makeup. And their hair styled, usually with some kind of a curl.
You have a good camera, so the next thing i'd say would be to have a good light source.
you will learn alot on this forum, i've been here only a day and have already learned some new tricks.
I found these sites very informative on different techniques used in beauty retouching as well....

http://designreviver.com/tutorials/5...hop-tutorials/

http://garmahis.com/tutorials/sexy-photoshop-tutorials/
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
These are the pictures that I'm wanting to touch up....any advice on how I can do it?

I'd love to make one of them look like a baby doll (fake, glitzy pageant like) just for the heck of it but I have no idea how. My goal for all of them is a natural, uncluttered look....these are just shots that I took myself and wanted something "unique" behind....I have Photoshop CS3 and know how to change backgrounds, but when it comes to "fixing" facial/body flaws, I have no clue how to do that. These were all shot with a Canon EOS XTi Digital camera, so the quality is good, but I have am just learning the airbrushing and editing techniques!

Any advice?

The plastic fantastic skin is quite easy to do, there are many different ways, one of them is make a copy of the original layer, use surface blur until all the texture in the skin disappears, add a mask to the layer fill with black, and then paint with a brush set to white on the parts you're interested in "plastifying", make sure to take attention in edges and contrast lines.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 05:05 PM

I don't know how people can do this to children.
Seems perverted to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 07:35 PM

I do pageant photography but i only shoot natural headshots. But if you really serious about glitz pageants your going to have to pay for good glitz pics theres no other way to put it, unless your a pro retoucher yourself. And photogenic is a big part of the score even though the retoucher is actually winning not the kids.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 08:11 PM

I don't think so, most of what's done to a glitz photo is not that complicated, I doubt it would take as much time as a normal beauty photography using D&B. The thing is that you can teach techniques and effects, but applying them to each photo in a way to make them look good is what you can't teach.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flotsam View Post
Seems perverted to me.
I wanted to be in pagents when i was little but my mom wouldn't let me. I might still be a little bitter about it.
yeah it is weird that people MAKE their daughter's do this. Some girls truly like pageantry though, they love getting all dressed up, the attention, etc. It would be absolutely embarrasing to be unprepated and kill your self esteem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2009, 02:49 AM

There is no need for that language. If you don't agree with this then move on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2009, 03:25 PM

Now she's beautiful!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6a0110184cd071860f0110168a036f860c.jpg (76.9 KB, 125 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Here's one I did awhile back.
did you photograph this too? I've got several pageant clients, but I only do their "natural" photos (so far). it appears that it's best to start with a great pose, suitable for this "look" - with the eyes open pretty wide, not much of a smile, etc. this thread has been helpful!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terily View Post
did you photograph this too? I've got several pageant clients, but I only do their "natural" photos (so far). it appears that it's best to start with a great pose, suitable for this "look" - with the eyes open pretty wide, not much of a smile, etc. this thread has been helpful!
Hi Terily,

No, I didn't photograph this one. But you're right, you definitely want to start with a good image.

Here's a larger version of the one I posted before. http://www.flickr.com/photos/2617239...53920/sizes/o/

The irony of these 'glitz' photos is that they're used for the 'photogenic' portion of the pageant, and that's the last thing the judges are looking for. In fact, if you look at a lot of the winning photos, they're some of the most fake looking retouching you'll ever see.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 03:44 PM

I found this thread doing the same thing as the last mom. My daughter has been in pageants for about 1 year and we are in the process of making a move with better photos. What program are most of you using for this and is one more easier to lear to use. You can not believe the prices some charge for just regular touch ups such as stray hairs. We also should have a photo backer which is a photo with the childs stats and age etc and those are exorbent as well. I would love to learn to do this myself to offset some of the pageant pricing. I truely appreciate your help and advice. Thanks in advance.
proud mom of a beauty queen
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2010, 11:05 AM

I just like to try if I can hit the spot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wa.jpg (78.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg doll.jpg (85.7 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2010, 09:41 PM

I'd love to know where to get the fake eye lashes that are used for these pics. Also, I know that they sometimes move the eyes to be looking in the direction they want, so do they use eye tubes or actually move the pupil in the eye?
I'd love to learn how to do this type of retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvstyle View Post
And photogenic is a big part of the score even though the retoucher is actually winning not the kids.
I think a pro retoucher can make any girl look like this. It is all about the quality of the photography and the postwork, and nothing to do with the personality of the child.
Case in Point: http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_430xN.17296032.jpg
and here: http://www.thephotoenhancer.com/glitz.jpg
http://www.thephotoenhancer.com/glitz-2.jpg

Last edited by i-inspire; 03-04-2010 at 12:25 AM. Reason: ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2010, 10:36 AM

This thread disturbs me to no end.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
The real irony is that these photos are for the 'photogenic' portion of the contest. If they really wanted to judge someone on how photogenic they are, they shouldn't allow ANY retouching of any kind.
My little girl does pageants and has since she was 8 months. I agree with you though. I really dislike that glitz photos are judged as a huge part of there score.Very little children look like their glitz photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Patron

Took Kevin's version that he called original for the play (your's not working). Talking about fake. lol

Had fun though. Hope you like baby doll look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6-ORIGINAL.jpg (177.6 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by lkroll; 01-11-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2011, 03:10 PM

I everyone! Like everyone else i am new to the glitz pageant photo retouching...i know how to smooth the skin, but i cant figure out how to do the baby doll eyes and make the entire picture look glitz...i have searched this site and many others and tried most of the tips given, but still cant get everything right....here is a sample pic of what i am trying to achieve...please if anyone has any info that would be helpful...thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !B9JQJvwEWk~$(KGrHqZ,!jQEzL!vJu2oBM49q281(w~~0_12.jpg (42.5 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by linda_stambaugh; 02-15-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: want to edit the writing
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 PM

I know this thread is old, but I'm a photographer trying to break into Glitz. This is what I've achieved. I tried to do a Glitz photo one other time, so this is my second shot.

Here's a link to the before and after

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/o...reampAfter.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flotsam View Post
Seems perverted to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezprod View Post
This thread disturbs me to no end.
I think these two quotes articulate this entire topic as well as anyone could possibly describe it.

My advice is, stay out of this sort of thing. The patently miserable quality and intent of that so-called 'retouching', especially on babies that young, shows just how bad that whole scene has gotten if that's what's actually required.

Instead, learn *good* retouching, the kind that this forum focuses on (thankfully). Leave that junk retouching alone, and if you do retouch children then do a *good-style* job on the kids instead of this junky style - and it will serve everyone better.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 05-24-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2013, 01:19 PM

It's awful! Hair is fake and skin is over-smooth. Eye whites are too white as are teeth. The little girl is better in the original. I agree with RobertAsh in every way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Patron

Anybody isn't repulsed by this kind of s*** should be euthanized. It's just wrong on any number of levels. Just my two cents. Ugh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGAMBLE0007 View Post
I know this thread is old, but I'm a photographer trying to break into Glitz. This is what I've achieved. I tried to do a Glitz photo one other time, so this is my second shot.

Here's a link to the before and after

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/o...reampAfter.jpg
I sincerely hope this is a troll post. Otherwise you, much like the OP, are one of the least artistically inclined people ever to walk the earth. As disgusting as I already find pageantry, even then they would have no use something that bears no resemblance to the subject.

On a side note, I'm mildly surprised the OP's avatar doesn't depict her riding a mechanical bull.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching