RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

d&b tutorial download

Old 08-31-2009, 06:32 AM

Re: d&b tutorial download

Downloading now Nienna thanks. Judging from all the comments this should be interesting!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2010, 10:49 PM

Thank you very much for the video. I learned so much from it. WOW.
I am still a bit confused about GROUP 3 in the video that is used as tools to show skin imperfections. Can someone please explain how to create these "tool" layers? These are different than the black paint in "overlay" and "color" mode that is explained earlier, correct?
What is a good "tool" layer for the burn?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Patron

Fotogen, the lower layer is filled with solid black and set to color blend mode. This has the effect of turning the view to grayscale so that you can view the spots that need to be dodged/burned; colors often make it more difficult to see the luminosity difference. The other layer is also filled with black and set to Overlay blend mode. This has the effect of adding a lot of contrast which also makes it easy to visualize the dark fspots from the lighter ones. You may find on many images that the Overlay mode plugs all the shadows and you can't see any detail at all. In that case try another blend mode like soft light. The other thing you can do instead of this contrast layer is to just add an old fashion S curve to tailor the contrast to exactly how you need it for that image. Also, instead of the black layer set to color, you can place a Gradient Map adjustment layer uding the default black and white gradient. This may give you some additional flexibility.
Reagrds, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Fotogen, the lower layer is filled with solid black and set to color blend mode. This has the effect of turning the view to grayscale so that you can view the spots that need to be dodged/burned; colors often make it more difficult to see the luminosity difference. The other layer is also filled with black and set to Overlay blend mode. This has the effect of adding a lot of contrast which also makes it easy to visualize the dark fspots from the lighter ones. You may find on many images that the Overlay mode plugs all the shadows and you can't see any detail at all. In that case try another blend mode like soft light. The other thing you can do instead of this contrast layer is to just add an old fashion S curve to tailor the contrast to exactly how you need it for that image. Also, instead of the black layer set to color, you can place a Gradient Map adjustment layer uding the default black and white gradient. This may give you some additional flexibility.
Reagrds, Murray
Murray

Thank you for the reply. If you noticed in the video, she does not use the black layer set to color and another one set to overlay. Instead, she is using Vibarance layer? I am assuming this is set to 0 saturation to turn the image to B&W? Also, she is using curve layers to see the imperfections in the skin as you mentioned. Am I correct in this observation?

Thanks
Hadi
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Patron

Fotogen, you may well be correct. I was looking at one of her other videos, not the one referenced in this thread. I will take a look at this one tonight when I am back on line. There are probably 50 different ways to do essentially the same thing - basically ending up with something that desaturates and creates increased contrast. With experimentation you may find a method that works best for you.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Fotogen, you may well be correct. I was looking at one of her other videos, not the one referenced in this thread. I will take a look at this one tonight when I am back on line. There are probably 50 different ways to do essentially the same thing - basically ending up with something that desaturates and creates increased contrast. With experimentation you may find a method that works best for you.
Regards, Murray
Murray,

Do you have the link to her first video please?
Also. she was mentioning that she does not recommend what she did in the video on this thread due to the fact that she went at pixel level and the image came out too flat, do you know if was referred to her first video? May I should ask her directly as well

Do you have a web site where I can see your work?
Thank You for your help
Hadi
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Patron

Hadi, OK you and I are not on the same video. You are watching the most recent video (3rd one).
Yes, in this one she is using a Vibrance layer which I assume is pulled all the way back to desaturate the image. A Vibrance desaturation seems to cause no shift in luminance whereas both gradient map adj layer and Hue/Sat adj layer cause to some extent luminance shifts. Having created a grayscale view, she adds two contrast curves, each of which is hand tweaked and targeted to where she needs the extra contrast. I can see where multiple custom contrast curves would be more efficient than a single one.
Here is the link to her page with all 3 videos.
http://nienna1990.deviantart.com/journal/22156120/
The public section of my website is currently be rebuilt. I can send you alink when its back up.
Regards, Murray

Last edited by mistermonday; 02-19-2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: corrected text
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Patron

Hadi, if you click on the Devin Dygert video on the link in my previous post, it will take you to a download page for the video and you can download the image. The vibrance slider is set to 0; the Sat slider is at -100. The curves are actually very simple shallow curves - one darken and one lighten. The vidoe originally referenced when this thread was started last summer referred to her 2nd video.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 11:18 PM

Murray, Thank you for getting back to me on this. I really appreciate it
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2010, 04:41 PM

I don't suppose anyone has that contour facemap for dodge and burn do they? I remember asking for it a while back but can't remember where I saved it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching