RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

d&b tutorial download

Old 01-29-2009, 07:09 AM

Re: d&b tutorial download

Finally got to see it . I found it fascinating and the music hypnotic as well . I don't pretend to understand the whole process . Would like to know the Site it came from or if Britny has a Web site of her own . I think she deserves a donation ! Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2009, 08:38 AM

For video either VLC or divx or codec plugins if you want to play it on wmp
For decompression www.rarlab.com or www.winzip.com

took me almost 30 minutes to download... :P
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2009, 10:28 PM

For all of you who are having trouble viewing the file. Download VLC player for mac and pc. It lets you view most if not all video formats. Brilliant!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2009, 12:23 AM

Thank you. Very interesting.

dc

I don't know if having these 2 items combined into one would be of any help, but thought I would put it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D&B-layers-explanation.jpg (199.0 KB, 340 views)

Last edited by DCobb; 01-30-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2009, 01:14 AM

Hi all.
Miss Liz, thanks for the access to this great video.
It has given me a real-time sense of the process, which helps tremendously, as my own attempts have always felt sketchy up till now and I have never quite kept going long enough to see results.
Such a long process! But so effective!
I have experimented with it now, much more effectively than ever before.

DCobb, is it possible to see the rest of that tutorial your screenshot came from? (For more detail, although the video and subsequent comments on this thread have probably said it all anyway)

For all of you who regularly use D/B, I have a few questions:
1. would it make a difference if your dodge and burn curves were adjustment layers with masks (rather than pixel layers) - I know the file is smaller with adjustment layers.
2. is the use of these curves very different from the use of a 50% grey filled soft light layer? Or is it just a matter of choice?
3. I find that I struggle to darken very light areas effectively (to make them dark enough to blend in, without darkening surrounding lighter pixels) with the soft light layer technique. I imagine that this is because the area is too blown out and painting black on soft light will not really darken it as there is not enough to darken. But wouldn't the same be true with a burn curve layer? The curve used is not very extreme, mostly the midtones are darkened/lightened, so I fail to see how the very shadowed or highlighted areas can be as affected as they seem to be able to be with repeated brush strokes. Am I missing something obvious? Am I supposed to ensure that there are no blown out or completely black areas in the image before starting with this process?
thanks
Karin
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2009, 05:12 AM

Hi everyone!

Im glad all of you are happy about the video tutorial. I always thought that a video tutorial such as this on that focuses mainly on the D&B process is needed.

and thanks Liz for the credit ^^.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
Hi everyone!

Im glad all of you are happy about the video tutorial. I always thought that a video tutorial such as this on that focuses mainly on the D&B process is needed.

and thanks Liz for the credit ^^.
Hi Nienna, welcome to RetouchPro. Thank you for your effort, its much appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2009, 12:25 PM

would it make a difference if your dodge and burn curves were adjustment layers with masks (rather than pixel layers) - I know the file is smaller with adjustment layers. - no it makes absolutely no difference. In fact as you say, duplicating the pixels in this way balloons the file size unecessarily. And doesn't really allow for duplicating and adjusting the values non destructively.

Is the use of these curves very different from the use of a 50% grey filled soft light layer yes its very different. Curves gives you 100% absolute control over the color and the tonal density you are working towards. The other method can be controlled with colored brush strokes, dodge and burn on the layer itself, and color blended brushes so has advantages in controlling hue and saturation locally. It also keeps the file simpler, less layers.

Your third question, actually curves has the added advantage that you can knock down the white point to any value you want. Its not possible with Overlay and Soft Light. Blown highlights have to be dealt with with the curves method.

By the way has anyone noticed that in this tutorial he's flattened all the texture completely, giving it an almost blurred appearance? Or is that just me

Last edited by Markzebra; 01-30-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
[i]

By the way has anyone noticed that in this tutorial he's flattened all the texture completely, giving it an almost blurred appearance? Or is that just me
Its not just you, you are totaly right.
Since I was retouching under the stress of recording, It didnt turned out to be as I wanted it to be.

But the video still gave a little bit of somthing on the D&B process, somthing that is quite hard to find. and I think no matter what the result came to be, you can still learn from this tutorial.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2009, 06:00 PM

Yes your contrast/desaturating preview (I think you chose to use a gradient map and maybe a curve) is too severe. I think in situations where you do really WANT to flatten texture (maybe to iron out smudging or material texture), then this severe preview will help to achieve a smoother surface. But with skin it forces you to misjudge.

At least your tutorial does show the base technique, and give some idea of the workload. Its one of the first of its kind in that respect.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching