RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Making good Skin tones

Old 05-20-2002, 11:25 PM

colorizing b&w, a non tut/tut

I don't do tuts, maybe this will help someone. I know it's difficult enough to understand a person in the same room, so.........

I start by trying to reduce the blacks in the photo as they can kill ya'. use histogram, or gamma, or .........

First layer is for skin1, on this I put a solid coating of color in a light pink/cream (typical movie star) This layer avoids eyes and mouth, oh and nose holes.

Next, skin2 shadows, eye makeup, under lower lip, chin, jaw. The eyebrows can be done on this layer or later.

You can make a 3rd skin layer for highlited or reflected skin. Tip- The eraser can be used for highlighting too.

Lips get their own layer, no teeth yet. I also color gums and toung. This allows you to change lipstick intensity and color ..................

Eyes get their own, now it gets tricky. in PSP you have the power to make many colors of eyes, but it won't work on a empty layer. So, you either have to do it on the b&w photo or copy/paste eyes to their own layer. I was painting iris's long before PSP7 so no matter how I make an eye, I put specks and sparkles in it.
I also keep an image bank and save big beautiful eye pics for later.

The face can be but usually isn't as simple as conveyed above. I paint, do rouge, creases, texture, smooth, soften, smudge, and sweat over faces. I have done 1 in 2 hrs, and I have spent 20. just depends on how much it means to you.

Hair deserves it's own chapter.
greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg painting b&w.jpg (93.8 KB, 124 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2002, 08:24 AM

I use actual skin samples.

I use them either blurred (if I want a soft effect or non blurred if I want to retain the skin texture)

I start with a BW image and convert it to rgb. I find another image that has the skin tones I am looking for. I open the host image and set it side by side with the Bw(rgb) image.
With the BW selected I make a new layer and set blen options to color. I then select the color image and use the clone tool with a soft edge brush. I uncheck the box so that the selection stays in the same area. I select the BW image and start cloning by clicking(not dragging) to color the image. If I am working the shadows I then reselect on the host color image to get the darker tones.

One the skin is done. I then select the BW image and sepia tone it.

gooch
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2002, 11:16 AM

skin

Being a little bit obsessed with beautiful, I have been using the sample from another color pic method for a while and even go a step further. I sample from a color pic of the same person, and also copy the color from their eyes i.e. Liv Tyler. I have done several of hers this way. I don't need the charts much any more, as I can choose skin tones right out of the picker. I made a chart one time of Grace Kelly's hair tones and made a chart from it. I have never use the sepia thing and as of yet don't understand it's seeming popularity, but maybe I'll find out. I have tried using a skin texture in PSP but for smoothe human skin, didn't give results. For my tiger pics, I made a texture from fur and used it in PSP to paint. It's a real trip using 3 programs for painting because one forgets the rules from one to another. In PSP, you can sample color with the Ctrl key, but in Painter and PS it's Alt. Enough rambling, not even awake yet.
greg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching