RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Making good Skin tones

Old 05-19-2002, 01:53 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Skin tones

I've had mixed results trying to use different techniques to make a good skin tone. Do you have a favorite technique for colorizing a face? Or what about color correcting skin tones?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 02:05 PM
Janitor

Color correction is probably my weakest area. And skintones are probably the most critical area for this, since everyone has a mental buzzer that goes off if skintones have anything off about them.

As for colorizing, I'll find a color that I need (from anywhere, but the color charts are very handy. Then I'll either make selections and fill in color mode or paint in color mode (depending on degree and detail). I like using lots of layers so I can go back and balance later.

Final touch is making a new layer, color blend mode, picking a bright crimson (for caucasian faces), and going over all the highest points (tip of nose, cheeks, forehead, chin, around ears, etc.) with a very soft brush. It looks really ridiculous until you turn down the opacity, then it kind of 'snaps' into realism.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 02:44 PM

here's my favorite way of colorizing skin:

1. convert B&W image to RGB.

2. using curves, (or sepia tone filter if you have one) I get a sepia tone over the entire image. (see attached image for what I do in curves)

3. from there, I just make selections of the areas I want to colorize, then fiddle around in curves until I get the color I want.

Doug's tip about using lots of layers is very true, I put all my major changes on a new layer so I can go back if i need to.

I did some screenshots so you can see what I'm talking about. (top: original image, then after I've applied sepia tone, then the final image after I've finished colorizing it. Bottom: the RGB channels in curves showing what I used to get the sepia tone in top middle.)

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 02:51 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Good tips. I also found the color chart to be pretty good. Thanks.

Hey Doug. If you're around, here's what I got when I tried to open the attachment: vBulletin Message
Invalid attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 02:54 PM

You can use the number approach(using the info pallet. 3x3 or 5x5). Cyan is 1/3-1/5 that of the magenta. Magenta and yellow the same. Sometimes the yellow is higher. No black in the skin tones unless the person is tanned or of color(black person). When there is black(k) in the skin tones. Count it as cyan. You can relate these cmyk numbers into rgb. Let's say my readings in cmyk are c 15, m45, y 56, k 1 when I convert to rgb(adobe) they would be r 201, g 160, b 120. Or in lab, L 71, a 17, b 31...... in Hsb, h 30, s 40, b 79. The web colors would be r C9, g AO, b 78. Or you can calibrate your monitor with a calibrating device(high end) and do it by screen for the skin tones,if you dont like dealing with numbers. I like(sometimes) dealing with numbers,not the monitor. This way I get that nights' Lotto/Lottery numbers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 02:56 PM

oops I messed up on the attachment, sorry. I'll try again:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colorization-01.jpg (87.9 KB, 186 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 03:08 PM

Hi!

My initial approach for colouring skin is similar to David's:

change to RGB

Exclude eyes form selection

Hue&Saturation with the colorizing box checked

Move the Hue slider until I find an acceptable tone (usually a warm, slightly reddish sepia)

Then I adjust the colouring to my taste using either the Curves (RGB Channels)...

...or the Selective Colors which let you increase or decrease several colours in the CMYK channels

Trial and error until satisfied...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2002, 04:48 PM

For color correction I use a similar approach as John. I go by the numbers ...always. I do not trust my eyes or the monitor when it comes to skin tones. I always sample 3 or 4 places on the skin, make a selection and correct from there. I also find it easier to correct by using CMYK and like John, I pay very close attention to the levels of black and cyan. I usually correct highlights first, by removing most of the cyan and balancing the yellow and magenta. This tends to also correct most of the cast in the midtones and shadows. I doubt my ability is up to professional standards, but I have had very good results with friend's and family’s wedding pictures and snapshots.

For coloring black and white images, I used to just make a selection and fill a new layer with color and change the blending mode to color. The only problem is that this always gave very "flat" results and never looks very realistic. I have changed my approach with my "Glamour Puss" entry and now paint with the airbrush on separate layers. For skin I mix a different color for the highlights, mid-tones and shadows. Once I get everything colored, I flatten the image and color correct it like a color photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2002, 04:52 PM

Skin

I use a method similar to Greg's, with layers. I am including a couple of charts I use for skin. There are several examples of colorizing in my gallery......a few things.

greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg psp skin colors.jpg (53.9 KB, 150 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2002, 05:00 PM

Only 1 went thru

Can U only post 1 pic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skintonessm.jpg (99.1 KB, 113 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching