RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Soft light & Lighten curves layer d&b issue

Old 02-03-2009, 01:26 PM

Angry Soft light & Lighten curves layer d&b issue

I'm retouching an Asian model and lightening the skin pores as I always do but I'm getting a yellow/orange luminous glow to where I lighten, I've had similar issues in the past and just backed it off and changed the opacity of my brush but this one's really slowing me down as I'm having to tread so lightly. I wondered if anyone else has come across this? Have I screwed up a setting somewhere. This happens on both a softlight d&b layer and on a curves adj layer
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2009, 06:10 PM

Re: Soft light & Lighten curves layer d&b issue

just make a new layer afterwards, set it to color, and paint in the normal skincolor. or copy the backgroundlayer on top in color-mode. but i think, this answers arent what you were searching after.

i just wanted to say something
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2009, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the reply, I did kind of sort it out but not completely, I had my flow way too high & hadn't noticed... always the obvious stupid thing isn't it?!

Will try toning down bits with your method though. Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianr66 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I did kind of sort it out but not completely, I had my flow way too high & hadn't noticed... always the obvious stupid thing isn't it?!

Will try toning down bits with your method though. Thanks
I always have my flow set at 100% What's "way too high"? I have never experienced what you describe... I'm only kidding

I have my brush set to full flow while the opacity is variable by pen pressure (tablet) and I always get great results.

Are you using a tablet or a mouse? It sounds like you are over-dodging and it is likely the result of whatever your brush settings are.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2009, 07:19 PM

Well as it happens that wasn't the issue in the end but I normally lower my flow as well as the opacity, I'll try now with 100% though if you're getting good results. I'm using a Wacom and yes the results were like bad over-dodging but I closed photoshop down and restarted and it's working as normal, weird.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2009, 08:26 PM

Glad to hear it's back to its old self
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2009, 09:57 PM

I cover color correction due to dodge and burn in a movie. Download here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4ynnnhjnw2z/Configurator in CS4 for Retouching.mov

I use a custom Configurator panel in the movie but you can get the same results without although not as fast. If you have CS4 and want to try the panel it is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2didndmgggm/Retouch.zip

Any questions about the movie or panel, just ask.

Larry

PS. It is probably not color that is the problem but rather saturation. Try to desaturate the area first with a low flow, 1-2%, white brush set to hue. Paint on blank layer set to Hue. This is often enough to make the correction especially caused by D/B if the base color is correct. Sometimes this is followed by painting on a blank layer set to Color with a high saturation sampled color. High saturation color of 80-90% seems to work best. Sometimes I go into the color picker and increase the saturation of the sampled color. This again is low flow, about 5-10%. This step is usually required if the original area was off color such as a red blemish. It is sort of like painting a wall with strong stain on it. First you kill the stain (desaturate) with a primer such as Kilz, the paint over with the top coat (color).

Last edited by leuallen; 02-03-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2009, 10:08 PM

I had the same problem today when retouching a headshot--specifically on the lips. I was using adj. layers/curves for the light and dark dodge/burn, and I had a background copy on the top layer set to color. But I still got off colors in the lips. Maybe I just over dodged?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leuallen View Post
I cover color correction due to dodge and burn in a movie. Download here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4ynnnhjnw2z/Configurator in CS4 for Retouching.mov

I use a custom Configurator panel in the movie but you can get the same results without although not as fast. If you have CS4 and want to try the panel it is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2didndmgggm/Retouch.zip

Any questions about the movie or panel, just ask.

Larry

PS. It is probably not color that is the problem but rather saturation. Try to desaturate the area first with a low flow, 1-2%, white brush set to hue. Paint on blank layer set to Hue. This is often enough to make the correction especially caused by D/B if the base color is correct. Sometimes this is followed by painting on a blank layer set to Color with a high saturation sampled color. High saturation color of 80-90% seems to work best. Sometimes I go into the color picker and increase the saturation of the sampled color. This again is low flow, about 5-10%. This step is usually required if the original area was off color such as a red blemish. It is sort of like painting a wall with strong stain on it. First you kill the stain (desaturate) with a primer such as Kilz, the paint over with the top coat (color).
Thanks Larry, appreciate your time. I've not upgraded to CS4 as yet but your video and post helps a great deal.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching