RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Colorize with masks

Old 05-20-2002, 12:29 AM
Janitor

TIP: Colorize with masks

When colorizing, I start by making masks. Tons of masks. I think I counted over a dozen on the colorized WWII soldier shot I use on the main page of photorehab.com

After I've made my masks I'll start colorizing. Each mask is saved as a selection, and these selections can be combined and subtracted from each other as well as inversed to more finely hone the area. If I spend more than a couple of minutes on a new selection area (same thing as mask, only from a different direction) I'll save it in case I need it later.

My current favorite colorizing technique is to work on a new layer, using a selection based on the aforementioned masks. I'll then use the pen or fill tool to lay down one color (each new color uses a new layer). The color will invariably look really weird, but if you select the 'color' blend mode and then turn down the opacity you'll see a remarkably real coloration appear.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2002, 01:50 AM

Re: TIP: Colorize with masks

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Nelson
When colorizing, I start by making masks. Tons of masks. I think I counted over a dozen on the colorized WWII soldier shot I use on the main page of photorehab.com

After I've made my masks I'll start colorizing. Each mask is saved as a selection, and these selections can be combined and subtracted from each other as well as inversed to more finely hone the area. If I spend more than a couple of minutes on a new selection area (same thing as mask, only from a different direction) I'll save it in case I need it later.

My current favorite colorizing technique is to work on a new layer, using a selection based on the aforementioned masks. I'll then use the pen or fill tool to lay down one color (each new color uses a new layer). The color will invariably look really weird, but if you select the 'color' blend mode and then turn down the opacity you'll see a remarkably real coloration appear.
Doug: Can you show me the way you make the mask and how it looks for a face?
greg
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2002, 04:46 AM
Janitor

I make masks by many different ways. Usually I'll just paint in quick-mask mode and then save. Here's my alpha channels for that image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alpha.jpg (26.6 KB, 607 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2002, 04:46 AM
Janitor

Here's the layers pallette
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layers.jpg (44.8 KB, 440 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2002, 04:51 AM
Janitor

Here's just the coloration
Attached Images
File Type: jpg color-only.jpg (23.5 KB, 441 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2002, 04:52 AM
Janitor

Here's the colorized image with all layers at 100% opacity
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100-percent.jpg (47.9 KB, 462 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2002, 04:52 AM
Janitor

And the final version
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reg.jpg (46.7 KB, 496 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2002, 11:14 AM

Masks

Thank You Doug, boy that's one rosy cheeked Jarhead.
Mostly I'm needing to understand the creating layer process as I have been using PSP heavily for a few yrs, and never learned PS layers, although I hear they are easier. It's probably kinda weird to come this far and still not have a handle on masks, how does he do it, magic?
No, I just work very hard. Most things aren't much of a problem, but fly away hair, and trees can be a nightmare sometimes. I have a pic I spent months on because I couldn't get the flyaway hair right. The finished pic is on my gallery (unless webshots deleted it) and I had to have help from a Jasc imployee. I have a mental block about masks.

greg
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2003, 11:00 AM

Doug,

Thanks for the very descriptive tutorial. Especially the pics of the various stages/pallets for this job.

Very, very helpful.

Lance Goins
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2004, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugitive
Thank You Doug, boy that's one rosy cheeked Jarhead.
Mostly I'm needing to understand the creating layer process as I have been using PSP heavily for a few yrs, and never learned PS layers, although I hear they are easier. It's probably kinda weird to come this far and still not have a handle on masks, how does he do it, magic?
No, I just work very hard. Most things aren't much of a problem, but fly away hair, and trees can be a nightmare sometimes. I have a pic I spent months on because I couldn't get the flyaway hair right. The finished pic is on my gallery (unless webshots deleted it) and I had to have help from a Jasc imployee. I have a mental block about masks.

greg
Ever tried Corel Knockout
I think its fabulous

Ted
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching