RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Professional Vs Amatuer. Which retouch you choose?

Old 02-16-2009, 11:17 AM

Re: Professional Vs Amatuer. Which retouch you cho

I like number 3.
The pro is number 2.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2009, 11:31 AM

The issue seems a little confused to me. Some people like #1 and some like #2 or #3. I thought we were comparing the two black & white images and the first (color) was just the original. That being said, and not my problem really, I guess I don't really like either B&W image. At first I like the first B&W, but it seems soft and the second doesn't have enough detail in the skin and the eyes seem overdone. The fist B&W looks like it was transformed and enlarged, but is it distorted somewhat? It doesn't just seem larger, it seems shifted proportionately. But, the first B&W did crop out that extra skin in the bottom left and that is good. But I also take issue with the pose. I don't like how the girl on the left seems like she is leaning into and over the other two. Also I would never crop someone at the elbow. And those necklaces are distracting in the way they hang together. I think they could use a little space over their heads as well (just a little).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2009, 02:47 PM

What is the point here? to show if that pro retouch is not much better than amatuer retouch? Who care? if you like the pro retouch then thats it, if you prefer the amatuer retouch then blow that pro retouch out of water, just take what you like/prefer.

Just questions: in all this world, are those professionals suppose to have perfect great work always? and i am as a photographer, can't i become a professional if i am so great in taking photos but i am a dummy in retouching? And how much level of retouching that making the difference between the professional and the amatuer?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq View Post
What is the point here? to show if that pro retouch is not much better than amatuer retouch? Who care? if you like the pro retouch then thats it, if you prefer the amatuer retouch then blow that pro retouch out of water, just take what you like/prefer.

Just questions: in all this world, are those professionals suppose to have perfect great work always? and i am as a photographer, can't i become a professional if i am so great in taking photos but i am a dummy in retouching? And how much level of retouching that making the difference between the professional and the amatuer?
Only difference between Professional and amateur... Pro gets paid!.. both can be good or bad and do things at different levels..

Tareq, You are much better in both venues, photography and retouching, than some of the so-called professionals that I have been acquainted with!

I thought you were a PRO!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2009, 01:31 AM

I don't see any pro work here. This is a problem that we have to deal with at work more frequent than we want to. We're getting more and more of these so-called pro photogs sending in their retouched images, and basically, make our jobs miserable. Somehow, these photogs think they're also pro retoucher just because they own a copy of Photoshop. I'm at the point that I don't care if I'm going to offend their egos by asking for raw files. Seriously, stick with taking pictures and leave the retouching for us.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
Only difference between Professional and amateur... Pro gets paid!.. both can be good or bad and do things at different levels..

Tareq, You are much better in both venues, photography and retouching, than some of the so-called professionals that I have been acquainted with!

I thought you were a PRO!!
Thanks!

I am trying to be a pro one day i hope, maybe now i am semi pro because i am chosen to choose a sports for football in my area sports club and they pay us so i can say i am semi pro maybe, but i hope i can turn it to a profession or career so then i work completely in photography and i always do my best in everything whether skills or equipments.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2009, 01:28 PM

Hi
If I had to choose I would pick the 1st b&w. I have a attached a copy with of what I think the retoucher's missed on both, this is just from a quick look and I'm not even commenting on the details.

cathy

here I added a quick version of what I think should have been done to start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouched.jpg (94.4 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg retouched-bw.jpg (82.2 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by CathyH; 02-17-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2009, 02:00 PM

You forgot about the spotty (#1) or lack there of (#2) removal of the chest blemish in the left girl...

And personally, I don’t think the shirts of the outer girls should be nearly blacked out. I know the focus and the prettier one is the middle, but i think the other members at least deserve to have a body...

-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlerrigo View Post
Hi all

The following is a retouch done for a local coverband. One done by a professional photographer, one done by an amatuer, and I'm one of these two. I'm not telling which is which (well, not yet anyway) so that you can give an unbiased opinion. Which would you choose for the bands website? and why? and which one is done by the professional?

I'll let you know after a few replies, but to some it may be obvious.....

original first, then retouch one, then retouch two

Thanks guys.....
There are issues with both, but #2 should have retained all the data, not just copied one of the RGB channels and called it grayscale.
Besides, a pro photographer is NOT necessarily a pro retoucher.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2009, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlerrigo View Post
The following is a retouch done for a local coverband. One done by a professional photographer, one done by an amatuer, and I'm one of these two. I'm not telling which is which (well, not yet anyway) so that you can give an unbiased opinion. Which would you choose for the bands website? and why? and which one is done by the professional?

I'll let you know after a few replies, but to some it may be obvious.....

original first, then retouch one, then retouch two
It shows that some, calling themselves 'professionals', really sell hot air/BS.

Quote:

[...] I'm not telling which is which (well, not yet anyway) [...]

[...] I'll let you know after a few replies [...]
Is 48 hours and 5 replies enough?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching