RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Professional Vs Amatuer. Which retouch you choose?

Old 02-21-2009, 04:35 AM

Re: Professional Vs Amatuer. Which retouch you cho

There are quite a few posts on this thread, so I want to say up front (for the sake of humoring the OP) that I have deliberately not read the replies yet. I would like to make my guess based on what I see, not what I've read.

In my opinion, the first retouch looks more professional.

1) The image is more tightly cropped. In professional photography, one way to draw attention to your subject is to have it/them fill the frame.

2) There is a distracting bit of skin in retouch number 2 in the bottom left corner. A photographer should ask him or herself if there is anything in the image that distracts attention away from the subject. That bare flesh definitely does that.

3) Image number 2 is a bit washed out. The detail is lost in the highlights. In good photography, a professional will go out of their way to preserve the details in both the shadows and the highlights. Quality exposure is one of the hallmarks of a true professional who knows how to meter the light or account for a high contrast scene through film latitude.

While image number 2 has a smoother look, it would be my guess/opinion that touch-up number 1 is more consistent with good photography and its rules, and is the better quality image overall.

Now ... I'm going to post this and read the other responses.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
Neither one done by a professional Retoucher
I would not choose either because they both have blown highlights and lost detail..
(BUT, if I had to choose.. it would be #2 only because the eyes pop more.)
I would say the Photographer did #1 and I base that solely on the crop.. because that's what photographers do.

Added... I think the Photographer did them both (all three actually) because of the same in-consistency's in both retouches.. and I'm really not sure about the part of being a Professional Photographer either... (shooting at a low resolution .. 72 and at F4.5 does not give very much depth nor a Professional result)
Amen to that. Portraits at F8-F16. And as I also said, proper exposure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2009, 07:20 AM

I usually don't get involved with the "critiques" on this forum, and that's probably why I made the chimp joke. (A misguided attempt at breaking up the anticipation. Sorry.) But what exactly is the original poster after here?

If you want the honest (art director in a viewing booth) truth?

Image #1 original.

Image #2 has been "retouched" so much that the people don't look like themselves anymore. The have different faces and eye color. The extra tone (for shape) and color tint is a nice touch, but the airbrushed look is too much.

Therefore #2, although a nice representation of what could be done, is unacceptable. It would be marked up to "revert back to original, or at least half way back. And please restore their eye color." (followed by a smiley face drawn on the proof.)

Image #3 is a bit blown out, but at least I know who's in the band. "Plus shape in faces slight. Add shoulder to girl on left. And let's try taking 5 years off the woman at right, instead of 15."
(smiley face)

So in my opinion, #2 is the amateur. A professional wouldn't have gone nuts on an image like that unless directed to do so.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2009, 01:24 PM

From all these replies, i think the best retouch will be between #2 & #3 with little adjustments.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2009, 04:20 AM

I've commented once and I haven't changed my opinion , but I think it's time this thread was wound up ! Bill
Bollocks is a desparaging comment ... but if something is " The dog's bollocks " it's brilliant !
Don't you just love Engliish !

Last edited by Gobsmacked; 02-22-2009 at 04:46 AM. Reason: 2nd thoughts
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2009, 09:19 AM

Ding dong the thread is dead...RIP
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlerrigo View Post
The following is a retouch done for a local coverband. One done by a professional photographer, one done by an amatuer, and I'm one of these two. I'm not telling which is which (well, not yet anyway) so that you can give an unbiased opinion. Which would you choose for the bands website? and why? and which one is done by the professional?
I'll let you know after a few replies, but to some it may be obvious.....
original first, then retouch one, then retouch two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlerrigo View Post
hi
I am the original poster and I wasn't fishing for a compliment. I just did the retouch which I prefered to the first retouch, but the band member didn't think so..I just wanted the opinion of knowledgable people.
We're still left with the quandary of which was the "Professional"? and Which was you? (the Non-Professional... but the one with attitude!) Does your comment above mean that you are responsible for the retouch called #2 ?
If it is true that you did the second one or retouch#2, then that is the one I picked!!!.... Thank You Very Much!!
LOL, you wanted opinions from Knowledgeable people and got well over 40 responses...., the majority of which said that all three pictures you submitted were amateurish and not professional..... most folks gave you their reasons for the picks.. Some even offered suggestions for improvement and some showed examples.. Did you give a crap? NO, you just single out a few comments and tell the entire forum to F.. Off, I guess because your feelings are hurt!!
Grow up and try to be more Professional!
Practice Cubed!
Believe me when I say that I will not follow you to another Forum!
Enough of this Tripe!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2009, 01:18 PM

I prefer the first but in all honestly I dont like either one. I guess im just not one for B&W.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
We're still left with the quandary of which was the "Professional"? and Which was you? (the Non-Professional...
See post #26 of this thread http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=647314
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWThomp View Post
Dennis, thanks for the link to the photography-on-the.net forum..
Tis nice to see that almost all the members on the respective forums were in sort of a common agreement that both retouches needed additional work.. Thanks for also clarifying that retouch #2 belonged to the OP.

We certainly wish that all our members here have a good, productive, experience.. but sometimes stuff just happens! The OP is most certainly still welcome to join in, participate and help out at RetouchPRO any time, but, if he chooses to opt out then, So Long Mlerrigo, We Hardly Knew Ye.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching