Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Lucis Art 6 pro

Old 02-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Lucis Art 6 pro

any opinions on the new lucisa art 6 pro plugin...very pricy for a would like to hear someones opinion before getting it...any one? tx.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Re: Lucis Art 6 pro

When it comes to buying plugin's, the main question is will use it. Look at the features and determine if you can use it. How often will you really use it.

Look at the plugins that you already have and see if you’re even using them.

Plugins will normally do what their intended to. I have heard lots of good things about lucis art. But they are very expensive.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2009, 01:01 PM

There are certainly cheaper alternatives that do as good as job or even better if you ask me.
Not sure what the new 6.0 has that the older did not have?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2009, 02:50 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist

Lucis Pro (still a beta with unfinished development 6 months after going on sale) does a good job for what it sets out to do (enhancement of detail and other related artsy effects), but it is no longer the only game in town.

Specifically, Topaz Adjust is currently generating a huge and loyal following not only because it does a pretty good job emulating Lucis products (as well as doing what they don't do), but is also about 1/12 of the price! And there is no dongle, as with Lucis Pro (Scott Kelby of NAPP recently threw a fit over the price and dongle protection of Lucis Pro 6 in his mini-review, where he could not recommend it to his readers because of these deal-killers).

Another inexpensive option in this genre is ContrastMaster.

If you took the $595 or so that Lucis Pro costs and applied only $499 of it to, say, onOne's Plugin Suite 4.5, look at the wide range of creative and image enhancing options you'd be getting for less money. Even more dramatically, the Topaz folks are currently offering three of their plug-ins in a bundle for $99.99, with which you can do HDR (etc.) and simplification effects as well as noise reduction.

If you want endless filtering and even texture-generating capability, check out Filter Forge for $239 and less.

Again, there is nothing wrong with Lucis Pro itself, unless you run into some of the current technical limitations which are still being addressed by the developer. But its monster price plus USB dongle protection (also, Kelby called it a "one-trick pony") point toward your serious consideration of other less expensive yet much more versatile options.

Last edited by plugsnpixels; 02-27-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Re: Lucis Art 6 pro that is a good review...especially as it relates to value!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2009, 03:23 AM

I am thinking to buy Lucis software but I would like to know if it work with raw files... or tif files!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2009, 05:50 AM

BIG vote for Contrast Master ........ I found it better than Lucis ...... and cheaper ofcourse ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2009, 10:01 AM

I personally have no real professional use for LucisArt. I think it is one hell of a toy though. I love messing around with it. The other day I was looking through some shots from last year and I stumbled on a wax figure of the Halo 3 character that I took in Vegas at the wax museum. I threw some Lucis on there and took out the background. It was just some quick fun, not supposed to win any photoshop awards or anything. But LucisArt is my favorite toy and it is awesome for emphasizing every little detail. I don't like it for people but it does cool things to places and things generally.

The thumbs below are the original, the lucisart version, and the final.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg halo_original_retouchpro.jpg (98.8 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg halo_Lucisart_retouchpro.jpg (97.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg halo3_retouchpro.jpg (69.9 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching