RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What do you think about the Degrunging technique?

Old 03-13-2009, 09:12 AM

What do you think about the Degrunging technique?

Hi all,

coming from "classical" graphic design, I find I've moved into beauty retouching more and more in the last few years. Mostly mid-end (if that term exists at all), but had also a few high-end clients.

Only recently I've stumbled over the Degrunging tutorial on the RetouchPro site. And I have to say I'm amazed at the results that can be achieved with this technique. I like the fact that the skin texture is not added after having applied some aggressive blurring, but that the original texture is retained while blurring, basically, the space between the pores.

So, what do you experts have to say about degrunging? With "transparency" being the big trend now, I wonder if degrunging can be considered "transparent" enough. I know that D&B is how all the big boys are supposed to do it, but... To me, degrunging is just so much more efficient, while yielding excellent results - to my eyes.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 09:21 AM

Re: What do you think about the Degrunging techniq

hi,
what tutorial are you talking about??
thx
e.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 09:27 AM

Oh, sorry, I thought, this tutorial was well-known around here:

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213

By the way: The image that you see in the introduction of the tutorial is, in my opinion, not a very good example. I tried the techique and find that it yields far better results, even retaining some of the fine facial hair.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 09:28 AM

yeh posta link bruv
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 09:28 AM

i think i'll pass
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 09:42 AM

mmmm.. somewhat of a nasty shortcut...

I used to try similar techniques in my student days... Sharpen then blur... very messy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 10:02 AM

Hmm, actually, if you think about it...
You first do a high pass, then a blur. Admittedly, this sounds like it's gonna yield a mess. HOWEVER you don't apply the sharpening and the blurring on the image itself, but on the Linear Light layer (see the quick version at the end of the tut). So, actually, it's not the image that's sharpened and blurred, but the layer that contains the information as to what parts of the image need to be blurred/sharpened. So, the finer parts of the image (the pores) are never actually blurred, only the space between.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 11:18 AM

I really think it looks fake and unappealing. The more I work with it, the more I'm convinced there is no way to get the same results as with time-intensive D&B.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 11:51 AM

It is a great technique if used in moderation... It can even skin tone while leaving detail relatively in tact.

It can be easily overdone but is a very useful tool to add to your arsenal.

It is very easy to try then compare to your other techniques and see if it helps you. Don’t make the mistake of dismissing it out of hand...try it first.

I have used it where conventional techniques fail..if only because the time against return was not economical. It did a very acceptable job...but it does take some practice to use.

Go HERE and try cspringer's skin repair action...number 56 I believe. It does a great job.

This action uses the technique but with Vivid Light rather than Linear Light modes.

Butch

Last edited by Daviskw; 03-13-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 04:41 PM

Actually the underlying science behind it is quite sound. It is actually a shortcut version of the full-blown approach described by the same author in these two articles:

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=147
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=149

As he demonstrates, high pass sharpening and gaussian blur are identical processes. All blurring techniques attempt to blur the large imperfections while retaining texture and fine detail. Most fail, but it actually is not only possible, it makes sense once you see it in action realize that you can choose what degree of detail to retain and what to eliminate.

With the degrunge technique, you do it all in one shot, and you're stuck with a single frequency of detail to retain. But using Ro's Graphic Equailzer setup, you can bring out any range of detail at any intensity desired, or reduce it as well. Like any tool, it's never a one-stop shopping solution. Blending your results back into the underlying image can modulate the intensity of the effect even further and it's never a substitute for the drudgework of D & B and everything else that's discussed here. But it's a useful additional tool, and well worth exploring, if only to learn a bit more about Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching