RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Hey Amazing Talented People I need Serious help!

Old 03-23-2009, 02:22 AM

Hey Amazing Talented People I need Serious help!

Hey Thanks if your reading your awesome!

Ok here's my problem(and excuse my not propper grammar)

I'm not a crazy photographer amazing I consider it a hobby but yet I stumbled with another photographer's pictures and i want to achieve the quality of his pictures which are amazing!

I Feel like my pictures when it comes to the editing come out fake!

Like i even just raised the sharpness in just one and didn't edit anything else and already i hated my picture. I understand i edit the skin and such at time but i know you can edit and still achieve a great picture so!

I feel like my pictures lack That Punch! That Umf! Like Here Take a Look!

-http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3612/...1499a5.jpg?v=0
and
-http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3593/...89eed1.jpg?v=0

I Like them but comparing the pictures to these!
-http://i40.tinypic.com/241mqok.jpg
-http://i39.tinypic.com/solbx1.jpg

Thats what i want to accomplish in my pictures!

If Anyone and I mean anyone could help me get that feeling into my pictures please tell me. If its steps to do when it comes to editing because i think my editing its novice. which i understand it might get better but i need to be pointed in the right direction. Because I don't want to lose faith in myself when it comes to this. Photography/editing is such a great thing and i wouldn't want to lose the spark!

Thanks

Eddie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2009, 03:41 AM

Re: Hey Amazing Talented People I need Serious hel

Any posts of any improvements or tweaks would be awesome too =D
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2009, 09:49 AM

Brighten the eyes, especially the second image. Darken the right side of here face, and add more contrast. See what that does!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2009, 10:56 AM

The main difference is the lighting, and yours are slightly overexposed to my eyes. Your images seem to have some softening on the skin, the other images are sharp even on the skin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2009, 12:16 PM

hey guys thanks so much for the replies so far!!!
-ThomasRadley= I tried doing it but the results weren't what i really wanted but i see what you mean =D!

-Pellepiano= So you think is the lighting!? and yeah i tried to soften the skin trying to go for the perfect skin and such but i keep getting to much of a blur feel for it!

is there any way to keep the picture sharp but still have that restoration in some spot with blemishes or such!?

because i know he edits almost all his shots which kills me!

here let me post of of my pictures i took to see if you guys can get anywhere close to the images i i want this one has no edit at all, which i usually start sharpening the picture!

-http://i42.tinypic.com/ouqgi0.jpg

understand that my friend has well he not so perfect face which i have to edit it but i hate the {FAKE} feeling so if any of you awesome people can get that effect of aliveness!

and still edit the inperfections, and if you guys would be able to show me the steps of how to achieve this or if theres a tutorial for such thing i would love you guys iof you could show me where it would be!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2009, 12:21 PM

oh and thank you so much for ever replying you guys are trully awesome!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2009, 12:25 PM

Its to small to edit as you dont see any skin detail at all. And the image is overexposed imo.

The images you link to use light that is coming from many directions. so the light is soft. You use light coming from the left and way to strong. So the images will be very different.

Last edited by pellepiano; 03-23-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepiano View Post
Its to small to edit as you dont see any skin detail at all. And the image is overexposed imo.
If you want people to try, you need to give them at least 900px in the longest direction. Preferably a raw or full sized image.

But as for the look, you pictures don’t have enough DOF. Your best bet may be the second one; as i think the DOF reaches the chin. Now once you have the DOF right, you have to over sharpen the image but no halos. The rest is just a choice of saturation of desideration.

You also need to move the subject away from the wall as they are creating a shadow.

I also think a lot of the appeal to these images is the noses. There a big part of the picture. And the head on nature and over sharpening emphasizes them.

-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2009, 04:10 PM

Hey,

I saw this thread and thought I might pop in.

My advice? Just keep shooting and learning about photography. I won't be harsh on your friend that you're shooting, but she's not an interesting subject. (In this situation anyway) Both of the pictures you linked to are just more interesting pictures because the subject of the picture is more interesting. Emo boy with hoodie looking stoned, other dude wearing karate headband. Your lighting isn't the best, but even so- better lighting wouldn't help this picture.

Important thing about photography: What you choose to shoot, is more important then how you choose to shoot it. If no one's said that before, I swear I'm copyrighting that statement.

Seriously.

So cut to the chase- find a new subject, or find a way to make this subject interesting. Pull-out and don't shoot so tight. Get some space and thus atmosphere. It has nothing to do with editing or lighting. Some of the best photographers in the world no nothing about lighting and don't care to. They are famous because they know their subjects, and in the end that's just plain more important.

-dennison

www.dennisonbertram.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2009, 04:29 PM

Hi,
I think dennis has given some good advice here.
You should aim first to get the image as perfect as possible within camera by learning all you can about lighting,lenses perspective etc.Photoshop is an amazing tool and the possibilities with it are endless but it won't make a bad image good (not that these are all that bad).
Keep experimenting and pushing your photography and retouching and develop a look that's yours.
Cheers,
Simon
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching