RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Completely white background, how to?

Old 03-24-2009, 08:51 PM

Re: Completely white background, how to?

You can use any type of lighting for the front. One light is good but you could also use a main plus fill. You can certainly do this with 3 lights.
JerryCentral
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Hi again,

using the Hue/Saturation at 100% saturation on your original you can see the different tinges in your background: yellow, red, magenta etc. and there are also a couple of patches of grey. (Attachment 1)

So, even before seeing your corrected version, I also opted for a selection and simply used a Levels Adjustment layer on the selected background.
(Attachment 2) from left: original, white background, adjusted luminosity particularly on the girls faces + lightly increased saturation.

After seeing your correction I used Hue/Saturation at 100% saturation on it and saw what you meant about the very light tinge specially around head and feet of the girl on my left. (Attachment 3)

Probably, the selection you made wasn't very accurate that's why those spots had retained a subtle colour cast. Reselected the background, I used a Selective Color Adjustment Layer (Attachment 4) and the tinge disappeared.
Thanks a bunch, Flora. Very informative! I just didn't want to spend additional time trying to correct color casts...etc. Because I work with time sensitive projects. Even dodging out the highlights take a lot of time and I want to be as efficient as possible!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algarve Images View Post
Yep,
looks like 3 lights and thats good for me too as i've ordered 3 elinchrom's from UK.
The D3 is clean up to 1600 and usable at 3,200/6400 for smaller prints, at 800 ISO there is no visible diference from base ISO of 200
Nice, I own a 5D and it does nicely @ higher ISOs, too bad it doesn't have an integrated portrait grip and current AF/ISO performance... >.<
WTB 1D Mark III!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algarve Images View Post
As Namphoto has already mentioned the ratio is important and an ideal high key setting would be 4 lights, for example if the subject reading is F8 then the two backlights burning the BG should be F11..
There is a diagram here at:

http://jerrycentral.com/2008/07/09/h...hting-diagram/

Another method, easier if you have a sunny window to place the subject in front of it make sure it has net curains or even better a white silk blind to diffuse the light.
Use fill flash, bump up the ISO and your bg should be burned out.
Here's an example taken in a living room against a bright window with only fill flash...
1/60 @ F4.5
ISO 1600
I underexposed the original so you can see the window, the covering is a net curtain and it worked...
Regards,
Gary...
I looked at your web site ... Nice work. I did notice a few of your High Key shots showed a little flare that degraded your contrast. Flare is quite a problem with high key so make sure that you have a clean lens and use a lens shade. If your background is too bright it will make flare. We try to light the background until it just starts to blink with over exposure on the LCD. The Black cards are also helpful in shading the lens and keeping the background lights from spilling on the subject.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg highkey.jpg (57.0 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2009, 12:50 PM

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the secret is not so much in the light intensity ratio between subject and a white background, but in the light intensity difference between those two. That difference needs to be 2 stops. I.o.w. the white background needs to reflect 2 more stops of light into the lens than the subject does. You achieve that by throwing much more light on that background than on the subject. (But too much, and you get flare. It's a precise balance).
This is where spot metering – but better yet: a separate flash meter – comes into its own. OTOH: simple test shots (with a stand-in 'subject', like a mannikin) help you find the ideal lighting setup ahead of the actual session.

When there's no going back to the set to reshoot you can try to rescue the shot in PP. The simplest way I sometimes use, if the photo lends itself to it (wispy hair is a killer): make a copy. Open it. Precisely select the subject. Invert the selection, so that the background is selected instead. Overexpose (In PS/CS3: Image–>Adjustments–>Exposure) by 2 stops. Voila!

Last edited by W.Smith; 03-25-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrycentral View Post
I looked at your web site ... Nice work. I did notice a few of your High Key shots showed a little flare that degraded your contrast. Flare is quite a problem with high key so make sure that you have a clean lens and use a lens shade. If your background is too bright it will make flare. We try to light the background until it just starts to blink with over exposure on the LCD. The Black cards are also helpful in shading the lens and keeping the background lights from spilling on the subject.
that was my first and only time in a studio, i do remember that there were no black cards to reduce light spill and i did have a lens shade, on the wrongway of course lol , we were packed in like sardines, 6 on the couse and very little space for manouvre, i am so glad i shot raw + jpeg, gradually i am altering the white balance and reducing the ghosting/flare on all the shots little by little.
Eventually when i get my lighting set up, i'll have months to experiment and get used to how it works (just been told the system is still out of stock so will have to wait a bit longer)
W. Smith has a good idea...("a stand-in 'subject', like a mannikin") for a dummy run (excuse the pun) immediately my mother came to mind he he... god bless her
regards,
Gary
ps... Jerry your website is very informative, will be visiting over there on and off
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2009, 04:06 PM

A quick note,
have been on the phone to my Nikon dealer in the UK, quite apart from convincing me to buy 4 elinchroms now arghh! he mentioned Lastolite who have the portable Hilite bg in which lights are inserted and zipped up inside, one or two depending on size of the bg, the advantage is portability and it can also be used in a much smaller room (allegedly) because the subject can be positioned very close to the bg without creating shadows.
Anyway there are loads of video tutorials on the site re: hi key
http://www.lastolite.com/video-demos.php
Might be of some help, also there's some may be relevent stuff on photoshop...
regards,
Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2009, 07:07 PM

Gary
We just bought 4 Elinchrom 600rx monolights with the skyport radio system and we are happy with them except that we can not use our umbrellas with them. They require a 7mm umbrella shaft and all our umbrellas are larger. We are happy with the Elinchrom, they are nicely built and have a fast flash duration that we like. You will have plenty of power with any Elinchrom lights, and your High ISO performance will never be needed. A problem you may have is getting the light low enough to put you light where the need to be ..... VERY CLOSE!

I have been a professor of photography for 28 years and have taught portrait photography for all of those years. So I may get teacherly because that's my job. Sorry!

I just found this site because of your link back to my blog and it looks like an interesting forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2009, 08:39 AM

Thats good to hear Jerry, glad i went with Elinchrom, have ordered the lastolight Highlite also as it can double as a huge softbox,
regards,
Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2009, 02:30 PM

I think I'm going to order 3 alienbee's AB800s to start out with and build up from that.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching