RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Someone willing to help retouch pageant shot of DD

Old 03-31-2009, 08:54 PM

Someone willing to help retouch pageant shot of DD

Hi! I'm new to the forum. I'm a VERY amateur photographer, favorite hobby. Just learning to use PhotoShop 7.0. I can do a few things, but am having some dificulty. I'm uploading pic of my daughter that I want to use for pageant headshot. Is there anyone out there willing to retouch it for me or teach me how to do a couple of things? It needs the following:
1. Eye pop (I can do this)
2. Teeth whiten (I have an action for this, but every time I try, I only succeed in making her teeth yellow)
3. I would like to add sparkle to her rhinestone buttons (2 on shirt, 1 on bow) and her earrings. I have kind of figured out a way of doing this, but I know I'm not doing it right. I've been using the custom shape tool and adding a small white shape which kind of gives the appearance of sparkles. Don't laugh! I've been teaching myself!

4. Also, I know the photo needs to be cropped (only needs to be head, hair, small portion of dress) and lightened. I can do those things, but when I do the photo is too big to upload? Also, FYI, I don't know if I have been doing this right, but when I have needed to lighten, I have been doing so by using white "fill" at 60%.

Any help would be sooooooo much appreciated!

Ok.............I just keep frustrating myself more and more. I can't get the photo to attach b/c it exceeds the KB allowed by the site??? Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Patron

Re: Someone willing to help retouch pageant shot o

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawstudent4now View Post
Hi! I'm new to the forum. I'm a VERY amateur photographer, favorite hobby. Just learning to use PhotoShop 7.0. I can do a few things, but am having some dificulty. I'm uploading pic of my daughter that I want to use for pageant headshot. Is there anyone out there willing to retouch it for me or teach me how to do a couple of things?
I can't get the photo to attach b/c it exceeds the KB allowed by the site??? Any recommendations?
Welcome RetouchPRO

Click the "Search" button above, enter Pageant into the box... click "Go"... Lots of help there!

Retouching it for you is covered in the same area as the search button except click the "FAQ" button.

You can post a fairly large pictures which is under 100k using the save for web function in Photoshop as described here:
Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)
This may also help some... How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads?(Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link, but also please attach an under 100K version here (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).
Alternative Image Hosts are: ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) or pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) or photobucket.com (1 Meg max free,... 5 Meg PRO)-- then post a link here in the thread to the site that is hosting your larger image.

Hope this helps get you started in the right direction
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2009, 10:31 PM

Thanks! I'm trying again to attach!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smallerpost.jpg (99.9 KB, 107 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2009, 02:39 AM

Hi Lawstudent, welcome.
I ran through your image quick just to give you an idea what you might consider doing.
Basically I blurred the background and softend the color and contrast there too.
I lightened all the things you mentioned with 2 layers set to linear dodge.
I removed the yellow from the teeth with a hue saturation layer.
I increased the contrast in your models face slightly and bumped her color a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (99.4 KB, 95 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2009, 12:14 PM

Thank you so much. The picture looks great and I THINK I know how to do all those things. I'll give it a try!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2009, 01:42 PM

If you can get it to me larger I can work on it and tell you how to I am a photographer and work on some of my pageant pics Pat
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2009, 12:24 PM

I'm not done yet but this is what I have so far. Is this going towards what you are wanting? Are you looking for the "doll" look?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...erpostMoon.jpg

sorry i had to post a link ... to bring the photo down to 100k would lose too much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2009, 12:34 PM

Thank you so much, Moonchild, and to Lolli (who I replied to on private thread). I have to say everyone on this board has been so very helpful and I'm learning a lot. Moonchild, I would love to know how you did the eyelashes. That's a handy tool to have! My major problem now is getting her teeth to be the same shade of white as her eyes. I have a teeth whitening action, but when I print in color they look bright yellow! Thanks again to everyone!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2009, 02:09 PM

I use a lash brush ... i want to say sarsa's lashes (?) ... I am pretty sure i found them here at retouchPro since here is where i have found most of the things I use. just search for lashes.
(My keyboard needs cleaning ... my shift key not working very well ... sorry)

Anyhoo ... here is another try. i am doing this on an old laptop and just the little finger pad ... so I cant do minute things ... not very well at changing backgrounds. However, i would love some input as to how i am doing so far.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...oonCompare.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawstudent4now View Post
Hi! I'm new to the forum. I'm a VERY amateur photographer, favorite hobby. Just learning to use PhotoShop 7.0. I can do a few things, but am having some dificulty. I'm uploading pic of my daughter that I want to use for pageant headshot. Is there anyone out there willing to retouch it for me or teach me how to do a couple of things? It needs the following:
1. Eye pop (I can do this)
2. Teeth whiten (I have an action for this, but every time I try, I only succeed in making her teeth yellow)
3. I would like to add sparkle to her rhinestone buttons (2 on shirt, 1 on bow) and her earrings. I have kind of figured out a way of doing this, but I know I'm not doing it right. I've been using the custom shape tool and adding a small white shape which kind of gives the appearance of sparkles. Don't laugh! I've been teaching myself!

4. Also, I know the photo needs to be cropped (only needs to be head, hair, small portion of dress) and lightened. I can do those things, but when I do the photo is too big to upload? Also, FYI, I don't know if I have been doing this right, but when I have needed to lighten, I have been doing so by using white "fill" at 60%.

Any help would be sooooooo much appreciated!

Ok.............I just keep frustrating myself more and more. I can't get the photo to attach b/c it exceeds the KB allowed by the site??? Any recommendations?
1. Lightened overall with a duplicate layer in screen mode, added a hide-all mask and applied the effect selectively to her eyes with a white brush;
2. Added blue in a curves adjustment layer to bring the RGB values closer together and applied to her teeth as per #1
3. Check here http://www.photoshopbrushes.com/brushes/28.htm for sparkle brushes
4. Lightened with curves adjustment layers. Darkened outer edges of the background and blurred. Contrast added with Unsharp Mask settings of A = 22, R = 22 and T =0. Selectively sharpened and a small amount of noise added.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lawstudent4now.jpg (92.8 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching