RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How does this man get that skin?!

Old 05-10-2009, 06:40 AM

Re: How does this man get that skin?!

Thanks Draganizer has been around for a long time and it is not what I am looking for. Draganizer gets you that exaggerated Hill look and that picture is very soft with sharp yet almost painted eyes. I can see a big difference. Also googling draganizer brings too painterly effect to my taste. But thanks nonetheless.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Patron

Karlingaa, welcome to RetouchPRO
I'm thinking he uses the larger format of a Hasselblad or Rollei carefully color balanced with excellent exposure/lighting to begin with.. probably octabank positioned close with reflectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarabmx View Post
I am more interested how the eyes were retouched - they seem sharpened and almost made plastic. Any ideas?
For the eyes... it is a quick fix in post...

Eye Tutorial (by Splanky)

1. Select the eyes. Use your lasso tool (or equivalent) and go around the irises. Try to get fairly close, but a perfect selection isn't necessary. If you hold down the SHIFT key while selecting, you can add the second eye to the selection.

2.. Soften (feather) the selection. Usually, unless you're working with an IMMENSE image, you'll just want to feather a couple pixels. This is just so you don't get a hard edge once you move the eyes to their own layer.

3.. After you've gone around both eyes, hit CTRL-J. CTRL-J adds a new layer...if there is a selection, it will copy whatever is in the selection to the new layer.

4. Now you are going to sharpen the eyes. Actually, you're going to OVERsharpen the eyes.
Make sure you are on the Eyes layer, and go to Filters > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask. The size of the photo, the quality of the photo, and the detail in the eyes will determine your settings - you'll just have to play around a little to get a feel for it. Add a mask to correct oversharpened white areas of the eye outside of the Iris if they are to strong

5. Now add a little color. Hold down the ALT key and click the button at the bottom of the Layers palette that's a circle that's half white, half black. That button adds a new "Fill or Adjustment Layer." Click on "Hue and Saturation" to add a color adjustment layer.
If you held down the ALT key while doing this, it pops up a dialog box that asks if you want to use 'the Previous Layer to Create a Clipping Mask" - check that box and click OK.
You'll notice that the new adjustment layer is offset a little to the right of the Eyes layer. This means that it will affect that layer only.

6. To colorize the eyes a little. Increase the Saturation a bit . Click OK, and then lower the opacity of the colorization layer in the Layers palette. Adjust this until it looks about right. But as with all images, come back to it the next day and take another look or have someone else look at it.. - you might find the eyes need a little more, or less, color than you originally set.

While on the eye layer you can also adjust the eye colors using the method of your choice... dodge and burn tools can also be used here on the highlights/midtones/shadows for emphasis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eyes-rp.jpg (193.2 KB, 160 views)

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 05-20-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2009, 04:08 PM

Thanks again for this tutorial. The results seems closer to the picture at the beginning of this thread. Still, though, it is not what I see on that image. It seems to exaggerated, too colourful. Especially the skin around the eyes lacks the contrast and simplicity. When you look at the model in the first pic, he looks like a porcelain doll. Unfortunately those eyes dont resemble that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarabmx View Post
Thanks again for this tutorial. The results seems closer to the picture at the beginning of this thread. Still, though, it is not what I see on that image. It seems to exaggerated, too colourful. Especially the skin around the eyes lacks the contrast and simplicity. When you look at the model in the first pic, he looks like a porcelain doll. Unfortunately those eyes dont resemble that.
LOL, those are eyeball Iris color samples not skin.. and what I did is only an illustration of what can be done.. not perfection... I didn't touch the bad skin, whites or veins and if they are to colorful.... , when you do the eyes, tone them down some..... everything is adjustable..
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2009, 05:27 PM

Looks like Jill Greenburg work..
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching