Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

New Technique - Critique Requested

Old 04-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Re: New Technique - Critique Requested

Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
agreed, but I have to provide some indication in the shot to try and help set the context!?
Imo the end result is that it looks as if you're trying too hard. The whole thing gets too contrived. Too dramatic. Over produced. I'd even call it Gothic.
But hey, that's just me.

I'd rather understate than overstate. Like make the guy look like a hunk, blue eyes, six-pack, tan and all. 4 Ravishing bikini chicks adoring him. Set in a sunny Caribean background, by a poolside or so. With tiny little red horns peeking from his hair. Lose the goat, the stigmata, and most of the tattoos. Sean Connery as the early Bond, with that devilish grin and evil twinkle in his eyes! So he didn't even need those little red horns to project the effect. Less is more.
Unless you're aiming to make an altar for freaks, of course.

Last edited by W.Smith; 04-26-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Re: New Technique - Critique Requested

I am afraid I will agree roger_ele there, the PP you have done has unfortunatly been a little bit to much, to soft. The character of the person whether good or bad suffers from over softening and poorly painted shadows that looks a bit to much PS rather then dramatic photograph.
As a photographer I would recommend you to go away from illuminating a model almost straight on with a softbox but put more effort on getting the character of the model in the shooting stage and then use your PP to add or strengthen that.
Now I am afraid that there are just strength missing in the portrait and not really any amount of PP will save it and going "softer" will project the same "weakness" of the character.
Jesus or satan he should have a strong personality and I think that is what many people has written about more then actual production quality.
Photography and PP has that same thing in common that it shows usually the weaknesses of an idea when the final product is displayed rather then its finer parts and this is an example of that.
You should focus more on the big picture and the overall feel of things then the small intricate details that you have woven into the image, those things now stops the viewer to see the message rather then being helped to decode the image.
I do know it is a cliché but KISS (Keep It Stupid Simple) is really very true.
Good try but you need to work more on the idea and the apply the right look/tool to that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Thumbs up Re: New Technique - Critique Requested

I'll answer as a goth (I am not but I know the tribe)

The fact that he is having stigmatas and smiling makes him a bit masochistic which is not the intent. Some puppy dog eyes may do the trick.
I would have seen the skull blended with the satan's head as for example the hole (nostrils) may match in his forehead as tiny nearly invisible horns.
To me the man is too much separate from the background looks like the skull is a poster.
The tan/6 pack is too perfect. looks like a pageant retouch, it's a little bit too much, but "the little bit" is still too much.
for the rest it's OK.
I would have seen this image for example as a cover of a magazine as "Fortune" or something. Because what people worship today is more money than Christ.

Nice idea, I like it. When you finish it, may want to sell it to "KERRANG!"
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching