RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

AIM color space - Gamma 1.00

Old 05-30-2002, 02:28 AM

Greetings Mr Opitz, when I joined this list I knew we would be conversing one day - since we are both ACT members (it is easy to tell from your deeper posts to this list that you belong to the ACT list or have read various articles or books from Dan Margulis).

Alain does not have PP6 - so she does not have the CD. I offered to see a few low res files of hers that she was having problems with, since she has PP5 which did not have a CD. If you have PP6 and the CD then the offer is open to you too, just let me know the images that you would like to see how I write the curves for, and I will send you the ACV file (up to three images).

I have kicked various things around at Timo's site, but I do not think that I have made any real use of them for production - only to try see where he is coming from.

Thanks for the compliment about my humble site - it is in need of an update but this will take more time to get to than I would like.

Unlike the regular and high bit debate, the 1.00 gamma editing space can be quickly proven to be a very poor choice for the vast majority of images and users - so it probably died a quick death on that list...while the bit depth issue is a lot deeper and harder to show any visible real world results - it is a lot easier to keep the discussion alive. Theory can also show the problem issues with a 1.00 gamma space, while on the other hand theory seems to support the high bit debate (with little real world results to back up the theory).

Regards,

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2002, 03:19 AM

I went and looked at the site and it appears that one could benifit a lot from doing this aim thing, but I'm lazy and it hurts my eyes to read. What does one do? Buy a program or what.

greg
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2002, 11:06 AM

I guess this thread is dead, since no one will answer my Qs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2002, 07:46 PM

Seeing is believing….

All the rhetoric doesn't change one simple thing. Images turn out better using linear space.

The original file is a 16-bit/c AdobeRGB(1998) PSD image (in a zip archive) " http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/evaluatio...0-adobergb.zip " at the AIM web space dealing with linear space induced errors (see the information) = http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/evaluatio...rror/index.htm =

The experiment "Download the image file and try it yourself".

The original PSD image is opened into Photoshop with out changing the Color Space "AdobeRGB 1998"

Using Image\Duplicate the Image is copied twice. Now we have three copies and the first one is left as the original for comparison.

Copy 1 will demonstrate the Unsharpen Filter using Linear space AIMRGBpro Gamma 1.0 Color Space.
Copy 2 will demonstrate the Unsharpen Filter using AdobeRGB 1998 Gamma 2.2 Color Space.

COPY 1

First we convert Copy 1 to the AIMRGBpro Color Space Using Image\Mode\Convert to Profile....
Next we convert to 8-bit Color Depth (most filters only work in 8 bit space) with Image\Mode\8bit/Channel
Finally we apply the Unsharp filter using Filter\Sharpen\Unsharp Mask (Amount 500% Radius 0.5 Threshold 0)

Copy 2

First we convert to 8-bit Color Depth (most filters only work in 8 bit space) with Image\Mode\8bit/Channel
Finally we apply the Unsharp filter using Filter\Sharpen\Unsharp Mask (Amount 500% Radius 0.5 Threshold 0)

As you can see, other than converting Copy 1 to Linear Color Space both images had the same effects applied.

btw = The results look similar at 16-bit Color Depth

Now look at the final comparison. Which image do you think looks better? Try it yourself if you don't believe your eyes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aimsharpen.jpg (99.1 KB, 891 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2002, 08:17 PM

fugitive;

You don't have to buy anything to take advantage of the AIM information. The site distributes both of the Linear Color Space profiles "AIM RGB = Trinitron D65 G1.00. ICM" and "AIM RGB Pro = WideGamut D65 G1.00 ICM" FREE and they can be downloaded at http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/photoshop/index.htm as a zip file at http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/download/aim_profiles.zip

You should also check out their information on Editing Techniques at http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/techniques/index.htm

Ron
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2002, 05:22 AM

Thanks Ron. I'll try to get it together tomorrow, or today.
Have a lot to do. my Painter 7 is broke, but Corel has a new 30meg update patch, some patch huh? I'll see if I can find the right place to post that info.
greg
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2002, 10:37 PM

Hi Ron,

How do you load the AIM profiles?

Thanks.
Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2002, 03:13 AM

Sharon, on a Mac the Trash is a good place - and on the PC there is the Recycle Bin [g]...but seriously:

ICC profiles live in different places in different operating systems.

PC is simple to install, if the file has a .icm/icc extension, then a right click will bring up a install profile option.

The easiest way is to search for where your other profiles live and place the file there.

On various PC Win OS it may be WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COLOR\ or similar.

On the Mac it may be System Folder/ColorSync Profiles or similar.

Hope this helps,

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2002, 03:17 PM

Thanks Stephen.

Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2009, 11:35 AM

Re: AIM color space - Gamma 1.00

My brain hurts..in a good way.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching