RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Seeking help to correct colors

Old 04-29-2009, 11:31 PM

Re: Seeking help to correct colors

Nice colors Flashtones. The blue background is a nice touch.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2009, 11:51 PM

Here is my quick go at this. This is mostly levels adjustment, and a quick repair of the damaged areas. I prefer to keep this kind of photos as close to the original with out adding my own interpretation to it as much as possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3486674005_f339ce1df5_Ret.jpg (169.3 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfly1 View Post
Nice colors Flashtones. The blue background is a nice touch.
Thanks, crazy. This was actually my first concerted effort at a restoration type project. I found getting believable hair to be quite challenging, especially the blond color. I guess less saturation is the way to go?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2009, 04:30 AM
Patron

Well I started from the original and like others there were a lot of steps. I did not replace the background but cleaned it up some. I also cloned some fabric on the boy's right arm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheTrio.jpg (190.2 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2009, 06:11 AM

Thanks all for your input and efforts! I really do know how much work it is to try and correct this photo. It's been bugging me for a while that I couldn't find the right combinations of adjustments. So far I'm leaning towards the coloring Flashtones has provided. I like his skin tones. I'll try and emulate that with my larger photo now that I have something to compare.

Most adjustments I tried led me to feel like the photo was a Rotoscope. Without any real detail in the skin everything ends up looking chartoonish. I might try to apply some skin texture to the images to see if that improves the look a little too.

This photo has been a real pain for me and I really appreciate all of the efforts you've put into it helping me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultjack View Post
So far I'm leaning towards the coloring Flashtones has provided. I like his skin tones. I'll try and emulate that with my larger photo now that I have something to compare.
Thanks. What you might want to do is open my image in PS, eyedropper sample my skin tones, and either save it as a patch or just note the RGB numbers, and use that color on your image. (I applied it to it's own layer in "Color" blend mode.) I also added a little red to the cheeks and lips for depth. I also put some effort into adding density to the top left of the leftmost person's head, as well as to faded areas at the bottom of the photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2009, 11:49 AM

I took a shot at this one. I need the practice. Used a lot of levels adjustments, desaturated just the faces and then painted the skin colors back in. Painted the hair and touched up the background. Sharpened a little and cloned the bad spots on the jacket. The neck shadows look bad. I can't figure out what to do with those.
Nan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image16 sm.jpg (97.3 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2009, 10:21 PM

OK, I went back and attempted some more rework. Five hours later I'm saying I'm done. I'm not happy with the arms and some of the color cast in the shadows, but I'm beat and there comes a time when I need to just move on to something else...

Anyway, here's my final result. I'd love to hear your comments on it and I'm still interested in what others can do with this photo. This honestly was the hardest photo to correct that I've worked on so far. And it just showed me how much I really need to learn!

Click on this link to see the LARGE jpg of the image.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3652/3489715759_89354014f5_o.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jennyfinalsmall.jpg (88.0 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2009, 06:14 AM
Patron

paultjack...
Well there is no end to learning about color. I felt that your final product was slightly too yellow and the faces seemed to be a tad low on contrast.

So I Downloaded your final and copied the layer and used a multiply blending mode at 55% opacity. Then things looked pretty yellow so I used a HSL adjustment layer and selected yellow and lowered the yellows saturation by 28%.

Its still not quite right I might add it may be a little too contrasty and saturated but I think you could tweak some more. Thanks for posting this problem its an excellent one to learn from.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trio.jpg (190.5 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2009, 10:51 AM

Well, it looks like the monitor I was using wasn't calibrated very well. This morning when I checked out my "Beautiful" work on my laptop LCD monitor I was very disappointed in the the contrast and skin tones. I totally agree with the skin looking too yellow. I had several adjustment layers in there to correct that but then my wife was complaining the skin was looking purple so I removed them instead of just adjusting them a little bit more. I was pretty beat after spending hours getting it to where it is. It actually looked looks a lot better on the monitor before I converted it to jpg and uploaded it. Still, it's just not the best it could be. If I am correct, the jacket the boy is wearing should be a nice gold color.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching