RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How can i get this look??

Old 05-06-2009, 02:09 PM

Smile How can i get this look??

Hi there

This is my first post in here, im really glad that i've found this forum, because im actually seeing people that really know so many things about retouching.

I work as a photographer and i really want to improve my retouching skills, because i cant afford to pay someone to do that for me...

I was wondering if you can help me in achieving this kind of treatment?????

http://www.lundlund.com/photographer...ans/7773/44811

Thank you for your time
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2009, 02:45 PM

Re: How can i get this look??

Judging by the image I'd say a good makeup artist is number one, secondly good lighting (possibly one or two assistants), a great stylist/wardrobe and finally a lot of trying.

The reason that I am listing these even though you are a photographer by trade is that very little in that picture seems to be directly linked to the retouching. I base this on the fact that some natural imperfections in her skin are clearly visible and the shadows around the "face jewelery" are consistent with the overall lighting. IF this is the product of retouching I must say I am really impressed.

What I would guess is that the shot is taken from quite some distance with great optics and using one or two reflectors with the silver side facing her... I would say quite low and some distance from the model since there are no visible reflections of neither photog. or light ass. in the image and the support light is very dim.

I quickly conferred wiht two photog's I know and the concurred that it's mostly a "Live Shot".

So for a short answer after all my rambling: Great optics to keep the distance, a good makeup artist and stylist and some reflective light so the image don't become too dark... and lots and lots of shots. My approximation of that shoot would be between 50-100 frames. In my case it would probably have taken around 200-350 frames or just one lucky shot

this not meaning I'm any kind of guru, rather that what I lack in talent I make up for in luck and tenacity
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2009, 10:25 AM

Am not an expert in the Photoshop department, neither a famous photographer that can take outstanding picture, yet. That kind of picture boils down to a team of talent that make this shot work, meaning the MUA, Photographers, Assistants, or maybe an Art Director etc.. The photographer who took this image sure know how the lights fall on the model. I guess it is very carefully place/ pose to achieve this result, or plenty of snapping to get this output.

What about the Photoshop you asking? Smoothing the skin, get rid of unnecessary hair lines, blemishes, whichever fault you can find on the skin am sure you know how to get rid of it. heehee..
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2009, 01:12 PM

how about giving the model some credit...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2009, 02:01 PM

I think the OP assumed the metal dress and face accouterments were done in PS.

If one assumes they are not (as most of us seem to) the shot is straightforward available-light photography. IOW, Sun, slight fill flash or reflector card, makeup.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2009, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the reply

I agree with you all, besides the good stylist, make up artist , hairdresser and photographer, i do believe there's some good work on the photoshop.

The degradee on the sky, there's a little bit desaturation i think on the image, the shadows dont look too dark, and i believe tehy changed a little the colors, but that´s my guess...

What i was wondering is how they get that mood and detail??

I dont now if i explained mi thougts very well...

Thank you all
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2009, 05:48 PM

The light on the silver 'dress' is not consistent with the light on the model. Its most probably comped. Background is a grad. I'm not actually saying that its bad, its just that the odd feeling of unreality it has is caused by these visual oddities. Light, and proper exposure is your answer, its 95% photography 5% photoshop
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
The light on the silver 'dress' is not consistent with the light on the model. Its most probably comped. Background is a grad. I'm not actually saying that its bad, its just that the odd feeling of unreality it has is caused by these visual oddities. Light, and proper exposure is your answer, its 95% photography 5% photoshop
I don't see that much disparity between the dress and background. We see no specular lights in the front of the dress because the main light comes from the rear. What we do see is a reflection of the sky, ground, and a lot of white which is probably some bounced light to fill in shadows. Additionally, the photographer is probably ducking behind a sheet to keep himself out of the reflection.

But I agree with your 95:5 ratio.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching