RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Self-Portrait retouching

Old 05-08-2009, 06:10 AM

Self-Portrait retouching

Hello I am new to this board. I tryed to retouch one of my self-portraits. I followed Christy Schuler's tutorials for smoothing out the skin and contouring. http://www.christyschuler.com/retouching.html

Comments, suggestions, critique highly welcome. I really look forward to improve being a a good retoucher with your help.

PS: OH sorry .. I just saw there is a Critique section My bad .. Admins .. if you could please move this into the "Critiques" section?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3508647216_aedb755416.jpg (85.3 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg 3508648824_b5f8bb842c.jpg (97.9 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by annia316; 05-08-2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: wrong forum section
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2009, 08:04 PM

Re: Self-Portrait retouching

I am not an expert at all, and really i wish to work on portraits or skins as many people here do, but seems it is not my cup of tea yet.

Anyway, to me i will say it is really amazing job and perfect, but to my opinion and i could be wrong is that the face is almost very smooth unnatural, even details are a bit missing, we want to see a face of a human more than a face of a doll or something, try to work in between the original and the retouched one, believe me, we all can smooth the skin so easy, but keep it as natural as it is then here is the challenge and the talent.
Don't take my comments so serious, as i told you i am not an expert, could be your work is flawless, but each will have their words.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2009, 11:44 PM

thats a little scary
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq View Post
I am not an expert at all, and really i wish to work on portraits or skins as many people here do, but seems it is not my cup of tea yet.

Anyway, to me i will say it is really amazing job and perfect, but to my opinion and i could be wrong is that the face is almost very smooth unnatural, even details are a bit missing, we want to see a face of a human more than a face of a doll or something, try to work in between the original and the retouched one, believe me, we all can smooth the skin so easy, but keep it as natural as it is then here is the challenge and the talent.
Don't take my comments so serious, as i told you i am not an expert, could be your work is flawless, but each will have their words.
thanks tareq for your feedback. I am trying out different techniques right now to acchiev a bit more "realistic" and detail-rich skin retouching. Maybe this methode isn't the best? Thank you anyway

garibaldi > I was serious about "helpful feedback" not funny comments. But never mind.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annia316 View Post
Hello
Comments, suggestions, critique highly welcome. I really look forward to improve being a a good retoucher with your help.
Obviously not, unless its really positive right? I wasnt being silly. the image is shot too wide angle, it makes the head look keystoned, like the forehead is huge and then tapers down to the chin. The skin itlsef is overdone its flat and fake looking the teeth are too white, and the eyes are overcooked, it looks like a toy doll. if that the look your going for then its ok, but its not natural looking. everybody has their own style and opinions so what I say certainly isnt the begin all end all
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2009, 08:59 AM

I didnt much like the elongated style either. personal preference. I did like the glow that technique accomplished on the eyes, but its not natural.
With this I removed imperfections, ran it thru skin smoother, glamour, brought out a bit more shadow. darkened and made the eyes vibrant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LLgirl.jpg (19.5 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching