Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

New to the industry

Old 05-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Re: New to the industry

Have you tried giving them a call? Seriously. That's how I got my job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2009, 02:51 PM

by "them" you mean who? Retouching agencies? It's nothing new that you've got to "invite yourself".
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2009, 03:24 PM

I'm currently failing to get noticed by anybody...

Although I tell people that I'm a freelance retoucher, the reality is that I'm more of an unemployed retoucher.

To most people freelancing means freedom. Being your own boss, making your own hours, booking your own holiday. It all sounds brilliant doesn't it? I just wish it was that easy.
Work does trickle in now and then, but not really often enough to make any real difference. I basically don't have what it takes to be a freelance retoucher I think.

If you're not in the slightest bit business minded, why would you try and run a business?
That's essentially what I'm doing, right? So am I trying my hardest, day in day out? Probably not...

I think I have the skill as far as the work goes, but the management side of things... the invoicing, the phone calls, the chasing. Filling out tax returns, giving estimations, finding new leads. Having the confidence to talk to strangers on the phone and promote myself? I'm not really the best person for that job. I'd much prefer someone else deal with all that stuff. I really don't enjoy talking about payment and I still find it uncomfortable to put a price on what I do. I'd be quite happy I think, just sitting down and doing the work rather than looking for it... and then asking (again) if I can be paid now please.

There's also the fact that I've been stuck in the house, not seeing anyone. Not interacting with anyone. Becoming more and more defeatist. Harbouring a negative attitude that quickly developed into a self-fulfilling prophecy. Losing focus, letting myself be affected by negative news and knock backs. Losing confidence and becoming more and more like a recluse and a social outcast. Losing motivation to do just about anything and not having the energy to even face getting out of bed some days. This is all stuff that I'm experiencing.

So I'm not particularly in a happy place right now and getting a job and feeling like I'm part of the world again would probably do me good, but right now it seems that nobody is looking for retouchers in London.

I sent out emails anyway.

Some sort of response would've been nice, even just confirmation of receiving the email would have been common bloody decency. But no, nothing. Pffft.

Anyway, here's me if you wanna have a look:
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2009, 06:23 PM

A couple of suggestions...

Try getting out anyway, not one-on-one but rather in group settings. Art shows, art classes, special events, trade shows, etc all offer a way of meeting other artists without the pressure of traditional networking. Always take your portfolio with you in both hard copy and soft. Opportunities come at odd times, often when you are not looking.

The industry and profession is very cyclical. It's sort of like acting... sometimes a good opportunity comes along and you're on top of the world and on top of your game. Other times, it is a bit slow. You have to have a plan for the slow times. Usually, this is the time to educate yourself. Take classes, teach classes, something... but, better yourself and give to others during those times.

Best of luck !

I'm not sure what your post was about... did someone delete the start of the thread, or did I miss something ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2009, 02:33 AM

I feel your pain Steve Payne. I've just started too. But there is the reality of starting your own business.. and it doesn't matter what kind of business.. you still doing promotions, you still calling, you still chasing.
I have management background and I know what to do and how to do but it is still hard.. You have good portfolio and I'm sure you will find your clients Just a bit more patience
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2009, 04:39 AM

Thanks for the advice DJ, I guess I was feeling a bit sorry for myself when I wrote that post. Hopefully it will help some people to not fall into the same trap that I did, or at the very least feel like they're not alone if they have.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2009, 11:56 AM

Your not alone Steve, i've recently graduated from a fine art photography degree course and am skilled in lots of different camera systems and proficent with retouching in photoshop yet its sooo hard to find work. It seems most people want your skills but would rather not pay for it hence the plethora of unpaid internships available. It's true what they say, its all about who you know not what you can do within the creative sector.

Keep your chin up, your not alone

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching