RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Adjusting skin color without affecting background

Old 05-20-2009, 11:14 PM

Re: Adjusting skin color without affecting backgro

A layer mask would be a good way to do it, but selective color only affects one color range at a time... In this image, the skin tone is unique in the photo, therefore making a layer mask is a waste of time.

Of course, if the background was in the same color range as the skin, yes, a layer mask is the best and easiest way.

Cheers,
Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2009, 11:38 PM

I agree with jam1212, layer masking is the way to go. You learn how to mask well, and the sky's the limit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraanexact View Post
I agree with jam1212, layer masking is the way to go. You learn how to mask well, and the sky's the limit.
Layer masking is a wonderful thing, don't get me wrong. But in cases like this it's like using a chain saw trim a loose thread.

See the example below, let's assume I need to change the red dots to orange and the cyan dots to green. I could mask the red and cyan dots (an operation that in this case would take 10 seconds at most) and change their color. Or I could just drop a Selective Color adjustment layer and target the red and cyan zones which can be done in the time I'd spend making the mask...

In a practical image situation, I have a stock photo here of a rose. But the rose is a bit pink and I want it to be a rich red. I did a dry run and it took me about 90 seconds to make a mask for this image, but adjusting the color with a Selective Color layer took me all of 9 seconds and that was tweaking the greens in the background as well.

For minor corrections of colors that are unique in a photo(skin for example), it's the best tool out there. Of course it the background or clothing are in the red or yellow range, masking is back to being the best way to do it .

Cheers,
Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dots-1.jpg (45.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Dots-2.jpg (44.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Rose-1.jpg (64.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Rose-2.jpg (59.4 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2009, 08:41 AM

Point taken. That's fine for small tweaks with very specific color areas. I'll still stand by layer masking for anything major, if for nothing else, for how easy it makes future changes go much much smoother.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching