RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Adjusting skin color without affecting background

Old 05-19-2009, 10:45 PM

Adjusting skin color without affecting background

Hi, as a portrait photographer i always have a lot of pictures to retouch so i am always looking for the fastest recipe to do certain things. I have a problem, normally i start with adding contrast to the picture then i adjust the color to make the skin better. As you see in my "after.jpg" feature, the color adjusting also affects the background. What would be the fastest solution to this problem without affecting picture quality?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.JPG (97.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg after.JPG (94.0 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 PM

Re: Adjusting skin color without affecting backgro

Check out the "Selective Color" adjustment, it will allow you to change only one color range at a time.

If you don't mind my asking, is there any particular reason you wanted her to have green skin?

Cheers,
Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2009, 11:47 PM

haha this brings me to my other question: How to adjust my laptop screen color to the printer? (it's perfectly fine on my laptop but she also complained about "hulk" look
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 12:42 AM

hi,
here my "quick and dirty" try. i would use LAB in this case. with curves in LAB mode you can easyly select the color you want to change and leave the rest as it is. i would not trust your laptopmonitor when you do your colorcorrections. the savest way to do it would be correcting by numbers. a good starting point for skin could be 5C 30M and 35Y. hope that helps.

shotcutz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before_c.jpg (97.1 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 01:34 AM

You'll need to color calibrate your monitor. There are several calibrators out there: Blue Eye, Spyder, and X-Rite spring to mind...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 02:27 AM

I'm just gwc but I would think that if you are a professional photographer the easiest fix would be to shoot everything against a green screen.
Really like that shot btw.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfly1 View Post
the easiest fix would be to shoot everything against a green screen
Oh, goodness, no. Green screens are hard to light, difficult to process, time consuming to work with, and even the very best filters are complete garbage.

I paint or build all my backdrops myself. (Well, most...I'm currently watching for an old brick building that will be torn down that I can cut a wall out of to be moved to my studio.) On average, a 6x9 canvas backdrop only costs me about $50 complete...much better than the $300-$500 for a hand painted backdrop costs to buy.

How long have you been shooting BT?

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 08:53 PM

To tell you the truth i started one year ago. Well i tried the selective color trick and it worked quite well thanks guys
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 10:19 PM

Your two best friends as a photographer are powder and space.

A light, translucent, unscented powder is essential. I use Corn Silk when I can find it, it's hypoallergenic and it's base is yellow (like skin) instead of white or pink (which you can't use on guys particularly). A nice smooth layer over the whole face with a very large brush (make sure you clean it between clients, and pour the powder into another dish so you don't contaminate it). Any powder that is "translucent" and doesn't look pink in the container is good though. But test them on dark and light skin to make sure it doesn't change the tone.

Also, try and keep your subject further from the background, and your camera further from the subject. The closer you are, the bigger their noses will look, and the closer they are to the background, the easier it is to get unwanted shadows. One of the main reasons 105mm is the standard portrait length is that it gets you far enough from the person to make their features look perfectly balanced.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that 90% of what we do as retouchers can be fixed in a minute or less at shoot time. That is why it is SO important to take your time and become a really good photographer first. I recommend to my students that they not touch a computer until they are good enough that they would be willing to sell the raw images as shot.

I quote Deke McClelland "Photoshop was not designed to make bad photos good, it was designed to make good photos great and great photos amazing." When it comes to retouching source material is the key. (Of course for our restoration friends this does not apply.)

Cheers,
Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 10:38 PM

I might be missing something, but wouldn't the easiest solution be simply to use a layer mask?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching