RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dodge and Burn

Old 05-20-2009, 01:20 PM

Post Dodge and Burn

Sorry if this is the wrong area of the forum, but i couldn't find any place better to ask this. If it is, please tell me..

See, i've been reading on all kinds of forums and websites(Including RetouchPRO) about different techniques, but when you take a look at, say, High end retouchings, they're most of the times done with Dodge and Burn technique. And the results are just lovely and, ofcourse, very realistic. But i just don't get the whole point. what you actually are doing during this technique, when *smoothing* the skin. Since it's really hard and requires a lot of practice, i would like to know what i'm doing when learning more about it and practicing.. So i wish there was someone over here who could tell me.

~~~Heavynne.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 01:31 PM

Re: Dodge and Burn

That is why i didn't use this technique, really i don't know when and where to use D&B on any skin or portraits, and also i don't know which shots need D&B and which doesn't need, at least i want to know each techniques used for what, not just use it for testing or to say we used it but wrong usage or unnecessary, or incomplete.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 02:12 PM

Dodge and Burn, in simplistic terms is the "equaling" of light and dark areas of the skin to achieve a consistent color.

On the heels of that one must take a moment and consider how light and dark evoke "3D shaping" -- one of the basic principles of light/dark for 3D is, dark areas appear "farther away", or concave; while light things appear "closer" or convex.

So, in balancing out a pimple, for example, you even or equal the colors of the pimple to match the surrounding skin, thus, you "flatten" the 3D shaping of the pimple. Result: "flat", even skin.

By applying the dodge and burn from a neutral (i.e. 50% gray) layer set to soft light, you can achieve the "flat" effect...most effectively.
It is non-destructive, so you can go back and burn what you dodged and vice-versa until you have the balanced skin tones that matches the surrounding skin.

It can be a time-intensive endeavor if you are after close-to-perfection results -- and I dare say that a majority here expect this very result -- but well worth it.

Of course as with all things practice will help you attain proficiency, accuracy and speed.

If the above is still a bit unclear, I or another member here may post images to help illustrate the concepts.
Actually, I believe there may already be a post here at RTP illustrating the effects of light and dark on 3D/shaping -- if memory serves, it was on making lips fuller.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2009, 06:40 AM

Thanks a lot for your explanation, Vernon
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2009, 02:08 PM

there is a great theme about this technique at forum

or direct links at nienna1990.deviantart.com:
1. step-by-step video
(use free VLC player to view movie)
quick tutorial:
part 1 and 2
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavynne View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong area of the forum, but i couldn't find any place better to ask this. If it is, please tell me..

See, i've been reading on all kinds of forums and websites(Including RetouchPRO) about different techniques, but when you take a look at, say, High end retouchings, they're most of the times done with Dodge and Burn technique. And the results are just lovely and, ofcourse, very realistic. But i just don't get the whole point. what you actually are doing during this technique, when *smoothing* the skin. Since it's really hard and requires a lot of practice, i would like to know what i'm doing when learning more about it and practicing.. So i wish there was someone over here who could tell me.

~~~Heavynne.
Perfect timing.... learn from the master...

RetouchPRO LIVE - 05/27/09
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching