RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Calibrating the new Macbook LED screens

Old 05-21-2009, 11:30 AM

Question Calibrating the new Macbook LED screens

Anyone tell me how best to calibrate the new macbooks' screens? They are different from the old screens and I have heard a lot of mixed things. I know someone just asked this question about Toshiba, but anyone know anything about the Macbook? Also, if you don't mind me asking without searching first, what is the best in inexpensive external displays? The Apple ones are crazy expensive!

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2009, 03:07 PM

Re: Calibrating the new Macbook LED screens

From what I've read, TN panels are best for gaming if you're interested in image rendition look at other types of panels, these are the ones that have problems with being darker on the edges depending on the angle you're looking at them, this in term messes up how you judge the brightness and contrast of your photo, I also have a problem that the LCD I have looks warmer than the CRT. After that I know no much else. If you want to have an idea of what panel a specific monitor uses check out this link http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch_content.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtd131 View Post
Anyone tell me how best to calibrate the new macbooks' screens? They are different from the old screens and I have heard a lot of mixed things. I know someone just asked this question about Toshiba, but anyone know anything about the Macbook? Also, if you don't mind me asking without searching first, what is the best in inexpensive external displays? The Apple ones are crazy expensive!

Thanks
In OSX, goto System Preferences/Displays/Color/Calibrate... and do your stuff.

Apple displays are expensive because they are good. Out of the box. And can be calibrated very easily (see above). Less expensive displays are not and cannot, thus requiring special calibration hard- and software, as well as your considerable time and attention! I.e. money! Whatever you may save on a cheaper display is easily offset by the money you will need to spend to get it working properly. Consequently the COO (Cost Of Ownerhip) of 'cheaper' displays is in fact higher than that of Apple displays.

'Cheap' is indeed cheap.

Last edited by W.Smith; 05-22-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 11:39 AM

Hey jtd. I have a MacBook and a DELL monitor I hook up when I do serious Photoshop work. Although I have set the DELL and MacBook into mirror mode so I can see both screens in real time, the calibration between the 2 does not match perfectly, almost, but 2 different display technologies.

Here is an interesting link I found about the Spyder Pro Calibration System available for Mac/PC. A ton of info about this confusing subject. Maybe this will help a bit. Let us know what you think.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...pyder2pro.html

katt
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB2005 View Post
Hey jtd. I have a MacBook and a DELL monitor I hook up when I do serious Photoshop work. Although I have set the DELL and MacBook into mirror mode so I can see both screens in real time, the calibration between the 2 does not match perfectly, almost, but 2 different display technologies.

Here is an interesting link I found about the Spyder Pro Calibration System available for Mac/PC. A ton of info about this confusing subject. Maybe this will help a bit. Let us know what you think.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...pyder2pro.html

katt
Cool more info to read about the "confusing subject" Thank you for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Smith View Post
In OSX, goto System Preferences/Displays/Color/Calibrate... and do your stuff.

Apple displays are expensive because they are good. Out of the box. And can be calibrated very easily (see above). Less expensive displays are not and cannot, thus requiring special calibration hard- and software, as well as your considerable time and attention! I.e. money! Whatever you may save on a cheaper display is easily offset by the money you will need to spend to get it working properly. Consequently the COO (Cost Of Ownerhip) of 'cheaper' displays is in fact higher than that of Apple displays.

'Cheap' is indeed cheap.
Just remember, EVEN if you have an apple display you still need a hardware calibrator in order to get accurate results. So its not like buying an apple display will save you money if you want it to be calibrated properly
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
Just remember, EVEN if you have an apple display you still need a hardware calibrator in order to get accurate results. So its not like buying an apple display will save you money if you want it to be calibrated properly
That's spreading FUD, Cuervo. Reality is that Apple displays have hard- and software calibration built-in! No need to spend more money on Spyders etc. Unless you need to get rid of it, of course.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Smith View Post
That's spreading FUD, Cuervo. Reality is that Apple displays have hard- and software calibration built-in! No need to spend more money on Spyders etc. Unless you need to get rid of it, of course.
One learns new stuff everyday. I tried searching for what you say, but I didn't find anything specific on cinema displays, do all of them have hardware calibrators built in? Do you have any links that I can read to inform myself better?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 12:59 PM

Thanks a lot guys, so when you say mac screens are good, you mean the external displays right? So should I get another monitor other than my new macbook? I mean, I know it would help, but is it essential to getting an accurate image?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
One learns new stuff everyday. I tried searching for what you say, but I didn't find anything specific on cinema displays, do all of them have hardware calibrators built in?
All the iMacs, MacBooks, and MacBook Pros I worked with in the last decade had it. And since it's part of OSX, MacPros and the Cinema Displays have it too.

Quote:
Do you have any links that I can read to inform myself better?
Nope. Attached a screenshot of one of the calibrator wizard's panels/windows.

You'll need a working copy of OSX if you'd like to study it in detail.

BTW: it's got plenty presets, and you can make/save separate calibration sets for as many individual other displays as you like as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Apple Display Calibration-4.jpg (97.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by W.Smith; 05-22-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 02:09 PM

Yeah still nothing on the built in one... have you read this http://www.apple.com/pro/color/workflow/basics.html even apple advises that for accuracy buy a hardware calibrator.. So unless its like the Lacie ones that look like the spyder and ARE built in, I'm not thinking the Cinema displays have an actual calibrator for color accuracy.

I checked a video on youtube about the calibration assistant and it looks like everything is done visually http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51gbx...352332&index=9 is this how you've been doing it? Even though you can do it visually I wouldn't count on consistency and accuracy with out the aid of hardware.

So my opinion after looking at this still stands. You STILL need a hardware calibrator if you want accuracy.

Last edited by Cuervo79; 05-22-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching