RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Air Brushing? How?

Old 05-22-2009, 05:58 AM

Air Brushing? How?

http://rs--design.deviantart.com/art...-GT-R-83394286

http://rs--design.deviantart.com/art...under-82080502

http://revolution-1.deviantart.com/a...-STi-104737030

Hello everyone, new member here. I have been working with Photoshop for about 6 years. So I kinda expect myself to know everything it has to offer by now.

Yet when I see art like that, it boggles my mind. How are they doing this?

When I ask them how they have done it, I keep getting the same old answer: Air brush. Whatever this "air brush" is, it definitely isn't the good ol' brush I've been using for 6 years. And if it is, the procedure is definitely more complex than that.

I want to know in detail how exactly this is done. The placement of the layers (on the bodykit itself) and which features are used (i.e. eraser vs mask, or bucket gradient vs blending option gradient). Because I have tried doing this before and it looked pretty awful. [sample][original]

By the way I didn't post the direct link to the images to preserve their context, so you can see who the author is and whatnot.

I would appreciate any help.

Last edited by GTR; 05-22-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 06:18 AM

Re: Air Brushing? How?

It looks like three separate layers and masking to me...the sky, the middle scene and then the car. The sky looks HDR and the car looks like it was shot with lights then a lot of photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
It looks like three separate layers and masking to me...the sky, the middle scene and then the car. The sky looks HDR and the car looks like it was shot with lights then a lot of photoshop.
Actually, the author says it was made from scratch.

What he did in the background is pretty obvious though. I wanna know what he did on the car itself.

Last edited by GTR; 05-22-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 09:22 AM

Hi,

I don't see somethink really special here. When they say use the brush tool it's all about mastering perfectly the brush settings (hardness, pressure and so on) in the way to achive the look you want.

It's all about doing what you really have in mind and than, simply paint it up. You have to have a very good knowledge about the perspective and how shadows and light works in the way to obtain fake 3D effects.

I show you a very fast 3 minutes exemple so don't look for the quality but for the process. More time you spend on working on details more realistic it will be.

Hope this is what are you looking for. If not, explain me better what are you referring to please.
Anyway these image are not made from scratch, some are photos...what is made from scratch are the car changes.

Isedo

P.s. The problem of your image is the your light don't fits all the elements of the scene. The back drop and the car has different luminosity and the colors don't match well. You eresed the window of your Nissan but there is a hole, this is not good, you have to make it more realistic and put there a window and one way to do this is...brushing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fastBrush.jpg (70.3 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
http://rs--design.deviantart.com/art...-GT-R-83394286

http://rs--design.deviantart.com/art...under-82080502

http://revolution-1.deviantart.com/a...-STi-104737030

Hello everyone, new member here. I have been working with Photoshop for about 6 years. So I kinda expect myself to know everything it has to offer by now.

Yet when I see art like that, it boggles my mind. How are they doing this?

When I ask them how they have done it, I keep getting the same old answer: Air brush. Whatever this "air brush" is, it definitely isn't the good ol' brush I've been using for 6 years. And if it is, the procedure is definitely more complex than that.

I want to know in detail how exactly this is done. The placement of the layers (on the bodykit itself) and which features are used (i.e. eraser vs mask, or bucket gradient vs blending option gradient). Because I have tried doing this before and it looked pretty awful. [sample][original]

By the way I didn't post the direct link to the images to preserve their context, so you can see who the author is and whatnot.

I would appreciate any help.
You may have used Photoshop for 6 years, but that clearly wasn't enough, GTR (junior member...): airbrushing is a physical illustration technique that has been applied since 1876 (lookup Airbrush). It is NOT a digital technique!
Photoshop has been trying to emulate it's effects with their digital brushes, but quite obviously have not succeeded yet by a long shot.

Sometimes the old techniques are better. This is a case in point.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 11:59 AM

I have a feeling when the retouchers spoke of airbrushing it was in reference to contouring the cars and sculpting he tonailty of the image. Search this board for "dodge and burn" and "paint with light" techniques.

A quick way is to set up a blank layer set to overlay and paint black where you'd like to burn and white to dodge. Vary your brush opacity for intermediate effects.

Another is to set up separate layers for dodge and burn. Make an adjustment layer that darkens (use your choice of curves or levels) and one that brightens. use a hide mask on each and use your brush to paint on t he mask with varying opacities of white and black to selectively reveal their effect.

The retouching house is also obviously doing compositing and montage work as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
So I kinda expect myself to know everything it has to offer by now.
That is roughly equivalent to saying, "I've been working with a hammer and saw for 6 years. So I should be able to build anything by now." I've been using photoshop for 20 years (since version 2) and while I can tell you what every single thing in the program does, and have used every feature, I might MAYBE know 10% of all the techniques for using them out there, and that is probably being extremely generous.

"Air Brushing" is just an industry synonym for "Photoshoped." But in analasys, it looks like it's a very clever use of the smudge tool... I like it, I'd never thought to use it for that. (Sorry for the bad masks, but I didn't spend much time on it.)

Cheers,
Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car.jpg (92.9 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Patron

GTR welcome to RetouchPRO

The pictures you referenced seemed to explain what they did pretty well... used some different mats and chopped the picture (put many pieces of different pictures together then blended them in "air brushing")

If, perchance, they started with a blank canvas and painted the pictures... an explanation of that particular process is provided in the photo-realist 'Art' or Photoshop paintings by Bert Monroy @:
http://www.bertmonroy.com/index.htm

click on "Take a closer look at Damen" for info on layers, size, and some brushes used in the painting..

For precise information Bert hosts over 125 very informational videos (sort of mini tutorials about how to do many artistic things using Photoshop) @ http://revision3.com/pixelperfect/episodes
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching