RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Bleach Bypass. Dissecting different ones

Old 05-24-2009, 05:22 PM

Re: Mastering Bleach Bypass. Dissecting different

Like it man - probably slightly overprocessed but has that movie feeling. Good work...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 08:00 PM

I think you nailed it. That blur gives a nice sense of depth and intimacy. The green shadows makes the statues look mossy, which adds to their character. The only suggestion I'd make is to clone out the truck and cars. Makes it more timeless (shown below).

The other one below is the default bleach bypass from the plugin Nik Efex Pro 3.0. Personally, I like yours better.

I hope I didn't stick my hands in your work too much, but it was a fun image to play with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bleach5.jpg (65.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg bleach6.jpg (89.2 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 09:59 PM

Thank you Jara! I agree with the overprocessed. I did notice it after I came back to read the replies. I tried to fix it a bit better with the image that Flash provided. I'm enjoying the new discoveries.

Flash I have to tell you, you are darn good at cloning. That image was perfect. I'm really glad you liked my approached to the image. I have been removing, adding, balancing color to get to the next step. I'm loving it!

I have never used plugins to really make an image look good but sometimes you have to take the easiest routes. I have looked around for a free plugin to play around but I haven't been lucky yet. I guess I just want to make my own discoveries for a while before I attempt other ways.

By the way, thanks for sticking your hands in the work. That's why makes an image come alive around here, I would say. Keep playing.

This is what I did on this post:

I copied the image you posted.
Created a triatone.
Added levels, just a touch.
Overlaid a black and white copy over the background.
Copied whites and enhanced them a bit.
Burned a bit of midtones
Highpass overlaid
Highpass colorburn

That's it. Again I don't write the quantities or amounts I used because I have learned that if you are applying the steps to another image obviously the blacks, whites, neutrals as well as the colors will be totally different.

What do you guys think?

P.S. I cropped it a bit for a close up and because the whites behind the right side statue was beginning to show cuts of the cloning. So far I'm liking it more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouched7.jpg (98.7 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 11:51 PM

Well... Adjusting brightness and contrast always crunchs the whites and blacks. When adjusting these levels, the midtones get splited and they go for the dark and bright areas and dark/bright areas go outside the limits and they are converted/squashed to solid black & white. If you keep pushing the edges by raising the brightness and/or contrast, more and more pixles will be converted into solid black and solid white. In few words, it could be said that we're pushing pixels. A good way to prevent or handle what happens at the edges of the histogram is using a duplicated layer in the very top of the layers palette and set it it to luminance and set it to Luminance and Smart Object, then you can apply a Shadows and highlights to it. Just like a frecuency compressor used in music, equalization and the like.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2009, 01:07 AM

everyone is making this much much harder than it needs to be!
all you need to do is duplicate the layer that you want to apply bleach bypass to (ctrl+j) and then desurate it (ctrl+shift+u). then change the blending mode of the desurated layer to either overlay or soft light depending on the intensity that you want the bleach bypass to be. you can experiment with other blending modes too to get different effects. then adjust opacity of desurated layer to your likings =)

hope i helped.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileeeeeeenaaaa View Post
everyone is making this much much harder than it needs to be!
all you need to do is duplicate the layer that you want to apply bleach bypass to (ctrl+j) and then desurate it (ctrl+shift+u). then change the blending mode of the desurated layer to either overlay or soft light depending on the intensity that you want the bleach bypass to be. you can experiment with other blending modes too to get different effects. then adjust opacity of desurated layer to your likings =)

hope i helped.
Have you tried that? Putting a desaturated layer into overlay or softlight is the same as painting white or black on an overlay or softlight layer, which does not desatutare an image, it merely heightens contrast. To get a desaturating effect with those two layers you'd have to switch their position so that the original layer is in OL or SL mode above the desaturated image, and then reduce opacity, but that doesn't give him anywhere near the contrast he's looking for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2009, 07:10 AM

Thumbs up Re: Mastering Bleach Bypass. Dissecting different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
Have you tried that? Putting a desaturated layer into overlay or softlight is the same as painting white or black on an overlay or softlight layer, which does not desatutare an image, it merely heightens contrast. To get a desaturating effect with those two layers you'd have to switch their position so that the original layer is in OL or SL mode above the desaturated image, and then reduce opacity, but that doesn't give him anywhere near the contrast he's looking for.
Very good effect.. I always used it in the other way around, but in the way you say looks much more interesting... Thanksfor the tip

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2009, 08:49 PM

I agree Flash. Sometimes you have to try different ways to get to the desired image depending on the resolution and quality of it. As I keep looking around for more ways of play with the image to find a final technique, I'm discovering that there is more to it than just "calling" something with a bleach bypass technique. I'm sure there are a lot of different techniques just to get to it but when it comes to convey a specific mood all you have to do is try and try. This makes me wonder if most people can use the term "bleach bypass" just because it has a lot of contrast applied to it.

I found this still from the movie 300. I think it looks terrific. It does have that bleach bypass applied to it but at the same time is very soft regarding mood and message. Maybe the warm color does the trick here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bleacha.jpg (98.9 KB, 122 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2009, 12:41 AM

Does this have to do anything with midtone contrast?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bleach.jpg (78.6 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2009, 02:33 PM

Hey Ekuna!

In a way yes.There is a bit of midtones contrast. The main idea of what I'm looking for is increasing the contrast without crunching the blacks or the whites too much; although in some cases that what it seems. I want to be able to get the feel of "cinematic" but at the same time a feeling of Rawness, if that's the proper word to use here, to the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300.1.jpg (98.5 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 300.3.jpg (98.6 KB, 112 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching