RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mastering Bleach Bypass. Dissecting different ones

Old 05-22-2009, 10:40 PM

Talking Mastering Bleach Bypass. Dissecting different ones

Hi,

Hello everyone! It's been a long, long and long time since I posted on here. Hopefully I still remember how to create a new thread.

In the past I had seen images that always got my attention but I never new what technique was used. I had seen it used in movie films also but never new it until now. For some odd coincidence, I recently found out what it was called. Yes, the "Bleach Bypass" technique.

I'm embarking on a journey to master it without using plug-ins or other software. There are great resources here in RP so I decided to start with one image. I had fun doing it for a few hours. I'm sure there are some friends here that can accomplish the technique in just a few minutes.

I read several ways to do it but somehow every image is different and most of the techniques I found made me work differently. I'm starting to believe that depending on the lighting or the values of the image then you can decide what works best for it.

So here is my first image. Please tell me what you think and if I need to make a few corrections. So far I have no specific goal or specif "look" to accomplish although I do like images that have low desaturated colors with a lot of contrast. I have yet to put the images I would like to accomplish the technique that was used on them.

With this image, it took me several attempts to get to the point I got. Again, it's not part of my repertoire yet.

The only things I kept asking myself was if the sky was waaaaay to white and bright with no gradient values and if the darks were tooooo dar. What do you guys think?

P.S. Now, this is the part where I missed out. I accidentally deleted the PSD file that had all the layers. Yes, I kept hitting my computer don't ask me with what...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original.jpg (95.4 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg retouched.jpg (91.2 KB, 443 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2009, 10:01 AM

Re: Mastering Bleach Bypass. Disecting different o

No help from me but would you please describe your technique. Too crushed blacks is the only thing I am not digging. I searched for Bleach Bypass in Tutorials but did not get anything.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2009, 11:45 AM

Here are a few methods:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...ch-bypass.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2009, 08:31 PM

Hey Jarabmx! Thanks for pointing out the black on the pic. I thought the way way after I have posted it so I decided to make it a bit brighter and possible balance the whites out as well. What do you guys think?

I don't have a specific technique so far but all I can tell you I did on this image was the second method amica posted on her link. Added more whites, blacks, and partly saturated the few colors you see on it.

I'll keep trying to improve on the technique and I will post more on it. Again, not so much yet so far.

Thanks for the link Amica!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouched2.jpg (97.8 KB, 104 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2009, 09:09 PM

Not familiar with bleach bypass so this might be way off, but just looking at your attempts, I played.

Opened in camera raw and applied these settings:

Exposure +0.50
Recovery 70
Fill light 100
Blacks 70
Brightness 113
contrast -8
clarity 100
vibrance -29
saturation -53

I also used a local adjustment brush to desaturate the truck on the right as I found it distracting.

Plenty of control to desaturate the plants further too if desired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bleach1.jpg (83.2 KB, 143 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2009, 09:54 PM

Oops, couldn't leave well enough alone - I added in some vignetting and split toning.

Not what you were looking for, but I was having too much fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bleach2.jpg (83.5 KB, 91 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2009, 10:29 PM

I like your attempts Flash but Bleach for me is about contract of darks and lights. I'd like to get to the point where it almost looks like the pix was taken out of movie. Yes, like a movie still. I had some other attempt. I really like it. I think I'm getting close to it. Only thing I found is that to create depth I have to be careful with blurring appropriately.

I tried on the pix with the cars but it's difficult doing it with a pic with low resolution. I should try learning how to adjust raw files before attempting with a low resolution image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouched3.jpg (97.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg carpass.jpg (99.7 KB, 97 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2009, 11:22 PM

Your thing is cool. I like the last one best, with the blur. Looks really distressed.

I gave it one last whack in a different direction. I figured the sun would bake out some of the blacks. Gave it a bit of a yellow tint for age and a reverse vignette, just for the heck of it. Could probably stand a bit of blur too but I was working solely inside of camera raw and don't know how to blur in there.

Actually, now that i think about it I could have cranked up noise reduction and/or lowered clarity, but...oh well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bleach3.jpg (81.6 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 12:05 AM

I'm not sure but may be useful for you.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...pass-PRO.shtml

Ash
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 05:04 PM

Thank you for the link Ashphoart but for some reason it does not work any more. I'd actually like to aim to get the technique without using a plugin but hey if anything helps to save time or to make an image look better I might "cheat" a bit on it. Right? Thank you though.

Thank you Flashtones. I have to say your approach is awesome. I would give it a try to add to my technique down the road. I decided to add my last attempts so you can see I'm still working to see what I can accomplish with them.

With the last one I did what I found on this link: Film-like tutorial
Although I don't have the aperture adjustment in my PS CS version I decided to add something close to it.
What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouched4..jpg (99.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg retouched5..jpg (92.0 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching