RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What is this Photographic Technique Called?

Old 05-26-2009, 01:47 PM

Question Re: What is this Photographic Technique Called?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcntsh View Post
On a Mac, Safari 3.2.1 isn't rendering the picture. Firefox 3.0.1 does
That's even weirder! Why Safari doesn't render the picture? I have Safari, don't know the version but I have seen it doesn't render all my pictures in my gallery...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2009, 02:01 PM

Re: What is this Photographic Technique Called?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domididom View Post
WOW!!
http://mart1980.deviantart.com/art/F...rame-121201664
How did you get that game animation/movie feel in this photo?
I certainly don't know the steps but, after enhacing the pic in lightroom, in PS the thing is playing with curves by channel, selective colors and channel mixer. All those adjustment layers in color mode and in that order. The sharpeness is given by the lens, a prime lens of 50mm and also enhanced by using an unsharp mask. Ah! And a layer (below the adjustment layers) in multiply and I think another one but above in screen. Surely, some masking in those layers must be. Try with that, it's quite funny.

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 AM

Ok, Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2009, 09:30 PM

Its a strobe outside... You can't really duplicate that in PS. There is a main source and a shadow that comes from that source.. you would have to dodge the subject but also make shadows that emulate light falling... There are some videos of her shooting online if you goolge them. you can see her light set ups

>
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2009, 01:43 PM

Thank you Crex.

Those pictures are astonish.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2010, 10:56 PM

me too. She doesn't show EXIF data. Anybody want to guess as to camera and lens that could be used to get this perspective and dreamy detail?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM

If I remember correctly she has always used Hasselblad and I am guessing she is now primarily shooting H3D50.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
It's just lighting and/or dodging and burning.

Photographers and artists have long known that the eye is draw to the lighter parts if the image, so by whatever means necessary one uses light to draw the eye to the important points of the shot, which in portraiture is typically the face and eyes.

For me, asking for a "film" look means nothing. I'm a photographer, I've shot a lot of film, I look at a lot of photographers websites; for the most part, aside from the occasional film grain vs digital noise, you really can't tell film from digital apart.

However, if one uses the term "cinematic", it evokes the strong foreground vs background lighting that was the mainstay of Hollywood for decades (until fast films released cinematographers from having to pour large, direct lights onto slow films).

Watch some old films on Turner Classic, you'll see lot of dramatic, cinematic lighting.

And all these filmmakers and photographers are merely trying to replicate the work of the great dutch master painters.

SPOT ON!! Annie studied art at the art institute of San-Francisco in 1967 before she decided to take on photography. I think it is obvious that she has taken a great deal of inspiration from the great master painters, it just took someone to point it out – Flashtones, thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezprod View Post
If I remember correctly she has always used Hasselblad and I am guessing she is now primarily shooting H3D50.
she uses predominantly a Minolta SR-T 101 when shooting medium format, she does use a Hasselblad H yes, along with a Canon MK III - all digital (with digital backs on the medium formats). She uses a leica for her day to day 'documenting' however she used to use Nikon gear when she started out for rolling stone.

Nasturtium - Dont think though that you can go out and buy a medium format and you'll be getting images like hers however. Medium format is a complete different ball game - 35mm hides allot of the detail and lets you get away with being murder compared to the larger formats which pick up EVERYTHING!! the two are chalk and cheese..

I have mad respect for Anne Leibovitz - i will probably be shot for saying this but i think she is where she is today predominantly on luck. she's one of these people who was just in the right place at the right time. Dont get me wrong - im not saying she isnt talented but she's just had opportunities that no other photographer will ever get.
She broke into the industry when people (celebs) were carefree and didnt give a shit about their 'public image'.. I mean - could you imagine Amy Winehouse allowing her tour photographer to snap a shot whilst shes passed out head first on the floor in a hotel room floor??!! i guess we have the pap for this..
It also wasn't all bad that she was breaking into the industry, photography as a medium of reportage was taking off and becoming prominent over simply having a text article. She grew with a changing industry - and bloody hell she did well!

i love her work - and would give anything to spend a day in 'the box' with Pascal Dangin to figure out how her shots are edited..

anyway - until then...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching