RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What is this Photographic Technique Called?

Old 05-25-2009, 08:36 PM

Talking What is this Photographic Technique Called?

Hi, I found these images just a few days ago. I think Most of them were shot by Annie Leibovitz.

I'm curious as if the photographer herself created the look or if it was already created before. Somewhere online it said the photographer created the look for the Vanity Fair Magazine.

Questions:

What would the technique be called?
Would it "Selective Bleach Bypass" smoother version of Bleach bypass as I have read online?

Are there techniques already discussed about in thes forum?

All info on this technique is an amazing source.

I'm mostly interested in Bleach Bypass for now but they all got my attention because in some of the images there is a lot of contrast yet the color still burned and in muted fullness.

Most of the images have the "movie-film look" I'm trying to master without plugins. Except for the lack of (noise) grain and selective degradation of color.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2009, 08:48 PM

Re: What is this Photographic Technique Called?

Hi Don,

First you must know that Liebowitz is an amazing talent and I would almost have to say that the majority of the "movie like" technique is due to a fantastic lighting talent. She has always had the ability to light things in a way that makes you scratch your head. She uses a lot of direct lighting on seperate subjects adding 1/2 stops less or more to each one so some appear to glow. When I knew her best there was no digital but she was not making her own prints they were hired out under close supervision. I don't know now the process being used for her prints and the ones you showed look a little different from each other. I am gonna look and find out for you if I can.

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2009, 09:05 PM

It's just lighting and/or dodging and burning.

Photographers and artists have long known that the eye is draw to the lighter parts if the image, so by whatever means necessary one uses light to draw the eye to the important points of the shot, which in portraiture is typically the face and eyes.

For me, asking for a "film" look means nothing. I'm a photographer, I've shot a lot of film, I look at a lot of photographers websites; for the most part, aside from the occasional film grain vs digital noise, you really can't tell film from digital apart.

However, if one uses the term "cinematic", it evokes the strong foreground vs background lighting that was the mainstay of Hollywood for decades (until fast films released cinematographers from having to pour large, direct lights onto slow films).

Watch some old films on Turner Classic, you'll see lot of dramatic, cinematic lighting.

And all these filmmakers and photographers are merely trying to replicate the work of the great dutch master painters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_Night_Watch.jpg (61.7 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg prayer-without-end-nicolaes-maes-835x1000.jpg (63.8 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg rembrandt.jpg (18.8 KB, 280 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Photographers and artists have long known that the eye is draw to the lighter parts if the image, so by whatever means necessary one uses light to draw the eye to the important points of the shot, which in portraiture is typically the face and eyes.
I always say that in to adjust images you have to have a good knowledge of how light works most of all and where you want to emphasize your important or interesting parts.

Quote:
And all these filmmakers and photographers are merely trying to replicate the work of the great dutch master painters.
Well said. In my art history class, the teacher keeps saying that some of the filmmakers have tried, tried and still try to discover the way light was used or replicated by some our greatest painters. Of course some of the Photographers in my class can't distinguish between use of light and how to "manipulate" it to accomplish the message desired. I'm not a photographer so but I don't count me out.

Photo 1

Photo 2
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2009, 01:53 AM

Arrow Re: What is this Photographic Technique Called?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
It's just lighting and/or dodging and burning.
that's very true as far as I'm concerned... check this image, called "a little Chiaroscuro" - where I try to mimic the Chiaroscuro-effect the old masters like Rembrandt and Caravaggio used:

PHOTO 1

No dodging and burning was done here - apart from a tinytiny bit of cross-processing to add tonality the image is straight - the (natural) light from a window was modelled with dark curtains and clothes to have it lit the scene exactly as I wanted. Vaseline on the lens did the blur-effect.

cheers,
Rob

Last edited by robvanberkel; 05-26-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2009, 08:47 AM

The images in color are just pictures with almost nothing of satration and distorted color balance. Te setting in camera is WB Cloudy (to achieved a little yellow along the shot), saturation = 0 or which is less and lot of contrast and brightness. A Nikon D700 is great for this. If shoting in BW, lot of sharpeness will give the feel, and after the shot, ading more contrast will make the deal. They also can be achieved by using the channel mixer with low opacities, like 25% in color mode and also selective color, in color mode blend. These ones can be together as well...

Check my photos as examples (btw, I always use ambient light, no money for flashes yet. nor I don't have enough room):

Renaissance-Like: http://mart1980.deviantart.com/art/D...tait-121395091

Cinemascope-Like: http://mart1980.deviantart.com/art/F...rame-121201664

Sick Contrast: http://mart1980.deviantart.com/art/H...Love-118686616

FLash Light Nude Essay: http://mart1980.deviantart.com/art/Let-me-go-96256671

There are more in my gallery if you like.

Sincerely, I cannot draw a map of what I have done inthese pictures since I take diferent ways with each photo but most of the job is done in Lightroom, or anyother raw wditor, then in PS, adjusting just a few things, but the deal is in the Raw Editor
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Patron

Um, Quantum - the photos in your links all show up blank . . .
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2009, 11:10 AM

Question Re: What is this Photographic Technique Called?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
Um, Quantum - the photos in your links all show up blank . . .
I cannot understand why they show up blank... I click on the links and I can see them... This is weird... Any suggestion?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2009, 12:01 PM

WOW!!
http://mart1980.deviantart.com/art/F...rame-121201664
How did you get that game animation/movie feel in this photo?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3Studio View Post
I cannot understand why they show up blank... I click on the links and I can see them... This is weird... Any suggestion?
On a Mac, Safari 3.2.1 isn't rendering the picture. Firefox 3.0.1 does
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching