RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Stupid Question? Maybe so, but I ask anyways..

Old 06-08-2009, 06:00 AM

Re: Stupid Question? Maybe so, but I ask anyways.

Easiest way to learn the pen tool:

New File, Type tool (ARIAL BLACK) type in all caps: A B C. Now trace those.

The A is all straight lines.
The B has Only 2 curves (so you use alt and clicking and dragging)
The C has only 2 straight lines (loads of clicking and dragging, ALT, SHIFT, CMD)

It is stil one of the easiest and yes when you get the hang of it quickest way of selecting something. Also with feathering and blurring you can make really nice natural looking selections. But it does take a lot of practice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2009, 05:55 PM

I've been using Photoshop for over 14 years, have flirted with the pen tool occasionally but for most purposes, I actually don't use it. It's not exact enough/fast enough over chiseling away something by hand. Of course, I've used a tablet for years, so you mouse users might appreciate the pen tool more.

However, in Illustrator, I use it TONS. The pen tool is great for graphic design, but not so useful in retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contemporaneous View Post
The pen tool is great for graphic design, but not so useful in retouching.
We can respectfully disagree on this then.

Bottom line is: I know a retouching house that does all their selections/cutouts only using quick mask.

I know some guys that swear by the pen tool.

Some other people might only use channel selections for masking. Whatever works works.

Saying that something isn't usefull in retouching is a bit ignorant. 14 years of experience might be clouding your judgement.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2009, 11:08 AM

The pen tool isn't going to quickly allow you to cut out stray hairs on someone's hair or fur on a cat. I think I know what I'm talking about.

I'd give it props for practicality for extracting something like a bowl from a picture, but we're talking simple objects without many nuances. I thought the second paragraph of my previous post communicated that, as Illy's pen tool and Photoshop's are essentially the same thing, but perhaps I assumed too much. My mistake.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2009, 01:30 PM

Contemp,

Lets have a contest. I'll give you 3x as long as me to cutout the egg from the background. You take 30 seconds and I'll take 10 and lets compare results.

Ready, set, go!

On second thought, take all day if you like, just make the best selection you can of the egg with whatever tool you like other than the pen tool, let us see the results, and tell us how long it took. We'll compare it to a 10 second pen selection.

After this we can move onto something more challenging, like a white on white spiral...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg egg-m.jpg (44.6 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2009, 01:58 PM

Um, I just said moments ago that the pen tool makes sense for SIMPLE selections -- like your egg. Or a bowl.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Um, I just said moments ago that the pen tool makes sense for SIMPLE selections -- like your egg. Or a bowl.
It makes even more sense for more complicated selections. The egg could have been done with the elliptical marque and a selection transform if needed. But what's the easy workaround for this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3321.pp.jpg (11.8 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
It makes even more sense for more complicated selections. The egg could have been done with the elliptical marque and a selection transform if needed. But what's the easy workaround for this?
There isn't one. The pen tool is perfect for your attached picture. Yes, it'll take the most time, but the selection will be perfect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
There again, I'd use the pen tool. Still simple shapes. I wouldn't call this complex at all. But before using the pen tool, you might try seeing how much you can get out with the magic wand, as the edges are pretty well defined.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
There again, I'd use the pen tool. Still simple shapes. I wouldn't call this complex at all. But before using the pen tool, you might try seeing how much you can get out with the magic wand, as the edges are pretty well defined.

Fine, but there are just so many simple shapes to be found in photographs; thinks like eggs, cups, bowls, pots, pans, coffee makers, toaster ovens, blenders, eyeglasses, cars, boats, buses, trucks, ambulances, planes, trains, rubber ducks, apples, televisions, telephones, iPods, laptops, watches, clocks, rings, diamonds, purses, combs, lipsticks, q-tips, shampoo bottles, razors, ears, teeth, hands, fingernails, balloons, money, books, jugs, pencils, pens, planets, keys, shoes, fish, pillows, water bottles, gas cans, fuel pumps, buildings, factories, machinery, wheels, streetlamps, hats, gloves, boots, socks, shirts, knives, scissors, hedge trimmers, fences, wheelbarrows, lampshades, toilet bowls, bathtubs, faucets, floor tiles, drains, tables, chairs, sofas, napkins, table cloths, salt and pepper shakers, toys, bats, balls, flags, CDs, DVDs, videos, trophies, kites, swimming pools, masks, snorkels and fins, buckets, shovels, coolers, beer cans, bathing suits, door handles, car windows, dog-tags, microphones, oxygen tanks, IV drips, stethoscopes, scalpels, defibrillators, etc, etc, etc.

At a certain point, not only is it a time saver to use the pen tool, but it lets you do things other tools don't. It's like a home builder not owning a screw gun. Sure, there are things you can do with a hammer and glue, but it's silly not to utilize such a productive tool if this is your trade.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching