RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Is this good retouching?

Old 06-07-2009, 02:53 PM

Is this good retouching?

She is a very popular retoucher on modelmayhem.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?p...&group_id=&ua=
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2009, 03:16 PM

Re: Is this good retouching?

Looks almost painted to me...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2009, 04:24 PM

Insensitive,
You may get many differing opinions, since retouching has many styles and preferred techniques. I think it is very good for the style that Ms. Carosio was trying to achieve. If you look at some of her work, she is not striving for the typical glamour retouch where detailed pixel-by-pixel d&b is emphasized or important. I tend to categorize it as fashion retouch, where lighting, color, creative artwork and redirection of our attention is important.

Is this type of work of interest to you ? If so, send her some feedback and ask her some general questions about her style and how to learn it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2009, 04:33 PM

This depends on what you want to achieve. Usually glamour shots are blurry and that kind of retouch-but for high end retouch such as big ad campaigns, the retouch should look as real as possible. -- with the skin pores etc. Some people like the overdone works and some like it subtle.
That work made me remind Glennferon's work

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2009, 04:33 PM

The question of it is good or retouching is not the right question. Alot of people like it and some find it ok and also alot of people will hate it. It is really how your own taste is.

The style of retouching is in my eyes a nice effect. It is heavenly airbrushed effect that almost goes to a painted effect. Why i say almost painted effect is because painted i think more of smudge style. The thing what is done here is made use first of sort of skin softener program or maybe right away made use of the Filters --> Noise --> Median filter that can easily be used and then finished with a painting with light action / or dodge and burn effect.

Sure my explanation is bit simplistic because there goes alot of time and work into editing such photos. I know when i did some work like this about 3,5 years ago many people said it looks to plastic and is not a photo no more. But nowadays after shows of Top Model almost all young woman want this kind of retouching so i can understand that the retoucher is loved on Model Mayhem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2009, 05:05 PM

I'm going to be the big bad meanie and say that I do not think it's good retouching. And here's why...

If the goal was to reproduce a style that simulated an effect like an illustration, it's a complete success... with the skin. The retoucher only took time to apply that effect to the skin and maybe some areas of the hair, but the dress and the tips of the fingernails are completely untouched. It's not matched and, to my eye, completely apparent that the skin tone is simulated.

I looked at some of the other examples in this portfolio and find that skin is perfected using filters or something, but the retoucher never works other photographic details of the image similarly.

Fake, fake, fake and I cannot personally endorse it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2009, 05:27 PM

Be aware, she'll come in here and swear up and down that she doesn't blur anything!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe using the dust/scratch or median filters to her is technically not blurring...idk, but I agree with the above statements...her work, while it can be aesthetically pleasing, always looks airbrushed/blurred no matter what she says.

Just my .02 cents.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2009, 06:32 PM

She can swear as much as she likes, but I know what I see, I know what's required to create that effect. But in any case, however she achieves it, that it's only applied to the skin is a problem.

If the technique was applied to the entire image, I think it would look fine as a representation of an illustration type of retouching technique. But it's absolutely noticeable that something has been done to the skin. That's generally rule #1 of retouching-that you don't notice the retouching. Texturized plastic skin next to absolutely realistic clothes and background is obvious.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2009, 10:02 PM

I think it's terrible retouching... Doesn't matter if it's fashion retouching or glamour or anything, it's not well done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2009, 10:42 PM

I agree with madclark... whatever the intent of the retoucher, skin is supposed to look like skin, yes there are out of this world artistic styles where people don't look like people and have wings with their hair on fire. CLEARLY, she is not going for unreal looks, she's going for exotic, high-end fashion looks, and in that world, skin looks like skin.

Blurred to hell, with no detail. Although what is interesting, is that if you look at her whole portfolio, there is some work that is a lot better with better skin detail. Maybe the model just had much better skin, which left her with little to do, hence no heavy blurring.

If you want to know whether her work is good or not, open a high end fashion magazine and compare the skin in that picture to the skin you see in those magazines. And you would never see that awkward skin fold in her armpit in a high end magazine either. For my personal aesthetic, i would have either made her ass smaller or breasts bigger, visually, it looks like she is going tip over and fall on her back from being so ass-heavy. ( I hope that is not your work and you're trying to get anonymous feedback)

Last edited by bkravchenko; 06-07-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching