RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

what should we be charging?

Old 08-04-2009, 09:09 PM

Re: what should we be charging?

One has to ask, "Where in the world do you live, and how much money does it take to live there"? Lets see, $6.00 an hour in the United States is really, really low, but somewhere else it may support a nice livelyhood.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 09:09 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Quantum3Studio is in Argentina, so perhaps that factors in (?).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 09:14 PM

I dont think they have internet wifi in the slums do they? besides then wouldnt he be charging pesos or ruppes or some shit like that? Please,, let me know they place where I can go support a nice livelyhood on $6, becasue Im getting ass raped here in NJ lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 10:30 PM

Garibaldi, you need to start thinking outside your country.
$6 an hour is good if you get to work 8 hours a day and at 15 days you've got $720 which in some Latinamerican countries is very nice money for half a month. That is if you have a client list that keeps you working 8 hours a day for 15 days.

Still half that is more than the minimum wage in my country, although depending on your economic status that would be "low-normal" pay for a month's work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 10:43 PM

Looks like its time to start farming my retouching out to latin american countries then. I was considering FTP'ing my stuff to Punjab India, but maybe this is a better alternative.

In all seriousness, I understand varying economies, but this is retouching, albeit, not medical research or rocket science, but still somewhat specialized to a degree, and bottom line is that you should be able to rake in much more than $6 an hour doing any sort of quality retouching. I dont care if your workstation is located in the North Pole
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aartist View Post
One has to ask, "Where in the world do you live, and how much money does it take to live there"? Lets see, $6.00 an hour in the United States is really, really low, but somewhere else it may support a nice livelyhood.
Not really. Taxes, home and food are quite expensive, not to mention all my equipment is imported from the U.S. or Japan, and the cost is almost the double than in the original countries where the stuff was made. It's I just don't how to charge. The first time I charged $25/h I was shaking, and figure that I was writting an e-mail to the client. I just need more confidence in myself
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
In all seriousness, I understand varying economies, but this is retouching, albeit, not medical research or rocket science, but still somewhat specialized to a degree, and bottom line is that you should be able to rake in much more than $6 an hour doing any sort of quality retouching. I dont care if your workstation is located in the North Pole
I didn't say it was the right amount to charge I just said that $6 an hour isn't as bad as you make it sound in other countries. Specially if you can get a good amount of work monthly.

Also in my country very little people actually know how to do quality retouching, most use blur, others think retouching is the devil. And most of the time the client is ignorant to what "quality" is. Most clients prefer the cheaper route to quality, you would be surprised to see the level of quality local magazines have, even with an OK budget. At least in my country...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
I didn't say it was the right amount to charge I just said that $6 an hour isn't as bad as you make it sound in other countries. Specially if you can get a good amount of work monthly.

Also in my country very little people actually know how to do quality retouching, most use blur, others think retouching is the devil. And most of the time the client is ignorant to what "quality" is. Most clients prefer the cheaper route to quality, you would be surprised to see the level of quality local magazines have, even with an OK budget. At least in my country...
Same happens in Argentina, Cuervo. Just to say that every single wedding shot is not retouched will make some people here wonder a lot. Yes people, wedding shots are given plain, without retouch of ANY kind. Nor wedding photographers NEVER shot in RAW (not to mention that the flash glossiness on the faces is considered "natural"). About fashion magazines here are just a pain for the eyes. People here really believes retouching a pic is EVILLLL!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3Studio View Post
Same happens in Argentina, Cuervo. Just to say that every single wedding shot is not retouched will make some people here wonder a lot. Yes people, wedding shots are given plain, without retouch of ANY kind. Nor wedding photographers NEVER shot in RAW (not to mention that the flash glossiness on the faces is considered "natural"). About fashion magazines here are just a pain for the eyes. People here really believes retouching a pic is EVILLLL!!!!
Wedding images true, ppl don't care about retouching.

But again we disagree on some of our own country standards.

This is Fashion and Beauty Photogs from Argentina

http://www.andych.com/ I don't think she is afraid of retouching.

http://www.gabrielrocca.com He seems to be doing well too.

http://www.urkosuaya.com Also doing pretty well.

http://www.rauldechapeaurouge.com/ one more

I could keep going but I think u get the point.

I don't know what kind of mags u buy - But try something like Elle Argentina, u'll be surprised

U do need some confidence on your self, $6 an hour is low rate EVEN in Argentina.

xx
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2009, 10:53 AM

I have had this question myself.... I'm new to the retouching industry, but I have been in magazine photo depts for a few years now. I want to work for a retouching studio or just freelance and make retouching my sole source of income someday very soon.

I know I'm good at it and I really enjoy it. I have some potential clients in upstate NY (wedding photographers mostly) but b/c of my inexperience and lack of references for this field I'm scared to charge too much and scare the client off. It's not a big city (just small towns) and these photographers are charging very little to their clients to begin with so it's been hard negotiating.

I was thinking I could charge some sort of flat fee of around $600 per wedding for just basic cleanup, color, and resizing. Anything more would be some kind of per hour basis?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching