RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How can i get this colours and look in Photoshop?

Old 06-13-2009, 09:29 AM

How can i get this colours and look in Photoshop?

Hi!

This is my first post in this board. I see,that you are very helpful, so maybe you will help me with one thing?

Could you tell me, how this photo was made in Photoshop?

http://www.photoblog.pl/cornflakegirl/39604366

know that photo and lighting is good,but i want get this effect in Photoshop. I tried working on layers, but i can't get such great and powerful colours.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2009, 09:33 AM

Re: How can i get this colours and look in Photosh

please give us sample image to work with..so we can find out how to get those look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2009, 09:45 AM

i am not sure is this photo good sample

i hope it is enough,but please tell me,if you need some other samples

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9687/modelka3.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2009, 10:03 AM

i'm not sure if this close to what you're looking for,
the sample working image's lighting is quite different with the sample destination image's backlight scene.

i use:
- 1 solid color adjustment #99754c set the blend mode to SCREEN with 75% layer opacity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modelka3ed.jpg (93.2 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2009, 10:14 AM

dangorka,
Welcome!
Without seeing the original it's not always possible to tell exactly, so this is just a guess. It looks like the original was slightly over exposed to begin with. Add a blank layer above the original and fill with a light yellow-orange. Change the blend mode to soft light and lower the opacity quite a ways to where you like it. This will give you the warm color and low contrast as in cornflakegirl. You could also experiment with different blending modes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2009, 10:20 AM

Dang,
I am not real clear on what exactly you are trying to replicate about the image so I'll be verbose as usual and try to maybe hit on the right stuff for you.
Firstly, the image is underexposed which for the most part gives it that hazy, flat look. The golden hue I believe is my namesake, "Sweetlight" or late evening sun.
If you are trying to emulate the out of focus scene behind the model, it was shot at a low f-stop probably about f4 ish. This too can be emualted in Photoshop in many different ways. I'll give you a quick run down of one of my favorite ways.

Open original image > make 2 duplicate layers > on layer 1 = darken, 30 percent opacity gaussian blur equal to your image size > layer 2 = lighten, 70 percent opacity > gaussian blur equal to your image size > merge those two layers. You should now have to layers, duplicate your background and make sure it's under your soft layer. Lower the opacity of the soft layer so you can see the image below it. Now with your eraser set soft, erase away the areas you want to be tack sharp. When you are happy with your erasing, play with the opacity of the soft layer til you are happy with the look. Now flatten your image.
Hope this was relevant to your question.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2009, 11:03 AM

Thanks guys for all hints!

Chris,

I know how to get this blur background. I think that in this picture, f-stop is lower...But no matter. I am asking about, how did you name, "Sweetlight" effect. Is it possibly to get this, without good sun lighting? It is absolutely base,but maybe do you know how to get this effect in Photoshop?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2009, 11:28 AM

Hey Dang,
I hope you did not feel as if I were talking down to you. Besides being an artist I am a writer as well and can lean towards the side of "talk too much"

Sweetlight refers to the last moments as daylight lens to night, a golden hue as seen here. It can absolutely be created in PS by using your curves and adding reds and tweaking them til you have the desired color. Also, if you are shooting on an overcast day a Photoflex gold reflector warms things up as well.
Geezz I don't know if I am helping her. Hmmm, maybe if you drop and image in of yours I will tweak it and give you some numbers to bang around with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2009, 11:53 AM

I understand you! It is really nice reading you, your English is great, mine is not as good as yours...I live in Poland,and I am only 16, so i have small experience with languages ) But i try to learn them...

I was working with curves, but only what i've made, was "crossing" effect, which don't look as amazing as first "gold" photo.

Photoflex gold reflector - i promise i will buy it I heard that this is really good tool for outdooir portrait photos...

Here is another sample, with which i currently try to do something interesting...

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modelka_23.jpg (82.2 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2009, 12:22 PM

my try for 2nd sample image to work with.

- solid color layer adjustment #332200 set to EXCLUSION blending mode with 75% layer opacity.
- solid color layer adjustment #332200 set to SCREEN blending mode with 75% layer opacity
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modelka_23ed.jpg (84.8 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching