RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

background colour shift?

Old 06-16-2009, 12:27 PM

background colour shift?

Just wondering on some fashion photos the background colour is shift,, its not from cutting out/masking or anything it just a change in colour through selective colour or seomthing im not sure.
Does anyone have any advice on how to do this but not effect the whole photo.
For example this photo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/natalia...el/1873089348/
This is from a member here.
The colour of the background has shifted but it hasnt left any residue on the hair.

Last edited by novella; 06-17-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2009, 06:45 PM

Re: background colour shift?

Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 PM

Hi Novella

I'm not sure I'm 100% sure of what you're asking, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway. By the sounds of it, you're interested in adjusting the colour of the background image without adjusting the colour of the foreground image. I don't believe that this was done in the example you provided; it appears that the retouch on that image includes brightness and contrast, as well as some vibrancy adjustments. The background image, although it appears grey in the before image, has a hint of blue in it, so when you increase the vibrancy, the blue begins to stand out a little more. That's my thoughts on that.

I hope that answers the question you were asking, if not, please post again with more details.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Patron

Hi Novella, well I have a different opinion than Nikolas. Overlay the before and after images (see attachment below) and set the blend mode to Difference. Now run your eyedropper tool all around the background and you will see that the R,G,B difference values are all equal. This means that the original image had a layer applied or blended in such a way as to subtract the same value from all three channels for that specific point in the background. However while the chnages made to each pixel are the same for all 3 channels, the reduction was not applied uniformly to all pixels in the background. The womans face has been nicely retouched but it looks like it was isolated from the background and processed separately.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Novella 830ddee19611 MM.jpg (140.5 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2009, 11:51 AM

Mistermonday im slightly confused about what you are suggesting, after i overlay with difference what is the next step? You haven't explained what i should do to change the colours?

An example of what i mean is here, the shadows and nothing have been changed apart from brightening the ladies and simple retouching but the background has changed colour completely, it does not look like an extract job, im nto sure how it is achieved?
BEFORE
http://www.paulhill-retouching.co.uk...Calendar-B.jpg

AFTER
http://www.paulhill-retouching.co.uk...Calendar-A.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2009, 12:55 PM

You may wish to try the colour replace tool in photoshop. Despite what you may think though, you're likely going to have to mask out the background so that you don't effect the foreground of the image, since there are some simiarlities in foreground colours and background colours. Also, you will noticed that the image has in fact been retouched, for example the hair on the lady on the right hand side. It appears that there has also been some softening of the skin, as well as the brightness and contrast have been adjusted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2009, 04:55 PM

I don't see what's so hard about putting the models on seperate layers and masking them off, leaving the background on it's own layer to be retouched seperately. Don't be scared of masking, it's your friend! It makes any future changes go by soooo much faster and far more accurate, and when you're working with persnickety art directors, this is a must.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2009, 07:06 PM

my masking always looks so fake though and i can never mask shadows correctly.
Nikolas i didn't they they went retouched i said they weren't extracted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Patron

Novella, start with the darker photo (the After image) and paste the lighter layer on top of it. Make sure both layers are aligned by selecting both layers and going Edit>Auto Align Layers>Reposition. Now Duplicate the lighter layer (the Before image). The desaturate that layer by holding the Shift + Ctrl+U or go Image>Adjust>Desaturate. Next invert that grayscale layer using Ctrl+I (or Image>Adjust>Invert).
So what you should have from bottom to top are 3 layers - the After, the Before, and the Before photo layer which has been desaturated and inverted.
Now activate the middle layer (the before photo) and go Image>Apply Image. From the dialog box that appears, for the Source Layer choose the desaturated inverted layer from the pull down menu, for the Channel select RGB, set the Blending Mode to Subtract, and change the opacity to 78%. Your resulting laye should look identical to the After image below with the same RGB values across the background EXCEPT for the model which has been retouched separately from the background. You can compare this new layer with the bottom layer by changing the blend mode to Difference. Everything will be black except the model. The RGB values will all be at or very close to 0.
There is a slight problem just over her left shoulder - it is darker than it should be. It appears that the desaturated layer was adjusted in that one area.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2009, 05:32 AM

what does that all mean though?
also how will that let me change a background in a future image?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching