Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin smoothening & iso spot removal

Old 06-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Skin smoothening & iso spot removal

am new to retouchpro and i have a challenge i need you guys to help me resolve.
1. when i take pictures, i notice that most of the skin are not smooth and i will like to achieve that perfect spotless flawless skin as i see on retouched pics. how do i do that on photoshop or lightroom?

2. also, when shooting an event indoors (like birthdays and wedding) sometimes i prefer low lighting but i've noticed that when i increase my ISO to 1600 to 3200, the images has light but with lots of spots. HOW DO I REMOVE THESE SPOTS AND HAVE A PERFECT BLEND SKIN WITHOUT THE SPOT DISTURBANCE.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Re: Skin smoothening & iso spot removal

Hi teepee and welcome to Retouch Pro. I will try to answer your questions:
1. This is not a single paragraph or single page answer. Good skin retouching often involves a lot of work and a lot of learning. There are many entire books dedicated just to skin retouching. The are tons of free tutorials on various internet sites.
2. The problem you refer to as spots at high ISO is actually digital noise - almost always luminance noise and especially color noise. If you use Photoshop there is a panel in Adobe Camera RAW which will help reduce that noise. There is also a filter under Photoshops filter menu. However the filters in PS are not the best for noise reduction. If you want the best you can purchase a dedicated noise filter like Noiseware or Noise Ninja or Neat Image.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Re: Skin smoothening & iso spot removal

Welcome aboard teepee, You are welcome here and will find lots to build your skills.

1. Smooth skin is the holy grail of retouching these days. Obviously it starts right at the camera end. Using a good model. Using a $25 makeup artist that can blend and harmonize the colors of the skin and yet retain the pore detail at the same time. In lighting, with doing mild cross lighting across the pores to bring out their depth... and then finally retouching to bring out the picture you imagined. A prime portrait grade camera lens to get the details you are after and a camera sensor that in in the 6-12 mpixel range is also very mandatory. Its going to take you time to find the retouching workflows and some practice to develop the skills and the art of retouching as well. So you have a fun and creative journey ahead of you!!! Enjoy. The community here is a great resource.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching