Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

changing lighting and saturation

Old 06-18-2009, 06:35 AM
changing lighting and saturation

Hello I am new and am trying to do simple and quick changes to my photos to make them look a little better. These are pictures I have scanned. First I have read to do just a quick levels adjustment and that should be enough but I don't really like the way that looks. So I do a shadow/highlights fix but the color seems to get too saturated so then I back the saturation down a little. Is this typical and the best way to do this. I am just trying to make the picture look a little better not perfect.
When I need to fix a picture that has a color cast should I do that first? I thought I read somewhere to do after doing a levels adjustment. It just seems to make more sense to fix the color cast first.
Last question, when I have a picture that the face is washed out because of the flash how can fix just the face. I was using shadows/highlights but then I don't like how it affects other areas of the picture.
I am using photoshop elements 7. I do not know if it has masking capabilities and if it does I don't know how to use it.
Thank you
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Re: changing lighting and saturation

I haven't read it but I've heard good thing about Scott Kelby's 7 point system book. I think he outlines a start to finish workflow sequence. Seems like it would be a good place to start.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching