RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

need understanding of patch tool

Old 06-19-2009, 12:00 PM

need understanding of patch tool

hi,
a novice.... and i have ps cs1 ..

When using the patch tool, now many times it does what i want.. using source or distination i'll get replicated what I want....

However, depending on the image , there times where the results end up being a BLUR, color are all mixed to some degree... ... i have notice if the the source and distination have similar tonal colors works fine but if contrasting colors i get this "bluring of colors" for sure..

I have tried all the different kind of blends when having that bluring effect but they don't really help ...

Can some one explain to me... either what I am doing wrong or it's more likely something I don't understand about the patch tool abilities and limitations..
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2009, 04:27 PM

Re: need understanding of patch tool

When the patch tool blur's, it means you are trying to patch to much or the source does not match its destination.

Try zooming in and patching a little at a time while staying close to the original location.

If patching along a hard line, you must match the line as close as possible.

If your looking to stop the blur no matter what, then use the clone stamp tool in a new layer (be sure to sample all layers) and blend it in with the masking.

Hope it helps,
-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2009, 05:11 PM

hi kevin,
thank yo for replying..

I had tried zooming in many times and just small patches that never worked for me....

I don't understand what you mean by source does not match destination ..
do you mean as far as tonal color between the source and destination ... i have noticed that if the color tne is very similar not much of a issue if any...

and i experimented where when i did have the issue if replace the area with a nuetral color everything works fine..... but that sort of defeats the purpose of the patch tool...lol ....

and oh yes...... i do end of up using the clone tool or the healing brush when the patch tool doesn't work as planned....

i just wish i knew why...

again thank yo very much for repying....

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot2pman View Post
When the patch tool blur's, it means you are trying to patch to much or the source does not match its destination.

Try zooming in and patching a little at a time while staying close to the original location.

If patching along a hard line, you must match the line as close as possible.

If your looking to stop the blur no matter what, then use the clone stamp tool in a new layer (be sure to sample all layers) and blend it in with the masking.

Hope it helps,
-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2009, 05:35 PM

See this example below of a 100% crop of a nose. I used the patch tool slowly to remove the slight blemishes.

Try and recreate it, But work slowly. I was patching at 300% of this 100% crop.

-Keven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KSA_8041-C.jpg (75.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg KSA_8041-C-ed.jpg (74.7 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2009, 05:59 PM

hi kevin,

I think i got it figured why... maybe not 100% ..... however enough to understand when not to use the patch tool.

it looked like i was on the right track about color difference between the source and destination...

although the patch is discribes as a combination of lasso and healing brush it more than that since it will, and this it the key part, blend texture, shading, and lighting..! it appears when there a significant difference between the colors on the destination and source one color can over ride the other or there can be a bluring/smudging effect sort of a mixing/dithering of the colors...

now you probably know all of this already but I needed to write it to my self to help me re inforced what i just learned... the way i wrote it does it make sense on what hapening when i see the bluring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot2pman View Post
See this example below of a 100% crop of a nose. I used the patch tool slowly to remove the slight blemishes.

Try and recreate it, But work slowly. I was patching at 300% of this 100% crop.

-Keven
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching